Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrading master cylinders??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading master cylinders??

I've been pondering for awhile how to increase my brake force while still looking OEM. I have no interest in a big brake kit for many reasons, including ridiculous price, ridiculous size, ridiculous attention for thieves, non-oem parts (my car is 100% stock looking and I want to maintain it that way), etc, etc. I would love if I could increase my brake force just slightly (about 10%) and it seems that, at least in my mind, a larger master cylinder could help. Am I right? I haven't heard of many people doing this mod, so I'm not sure my thoughts are correct. It seems if I don't go the BBK route or Spoon caliper route, my options are, well, zero.

I've done a bit of searching around and found that a ITR cylinder bolts up perfectly to the 96-00 civics, and that my above thoughts are somewhat correct, however the information is for 96-00 civics in general- some have drums in the back, some have 4 wheel disk, etc, etc, and i assume the 99-00 Si's have bigger cylinders then any other civic (although I could be wrong), so not sure that it works in all cases. That being said, I have no idea what size the ITR cylinder is in comparison to a 99-00 Si cylinder. Any ideas? Would this mod help or even work?

Finally, would the same work for the clutch master cylinder to increase pedal feel or stiffer pedal rebound? Any idea if the ITR clutch master is bigger then the 99-00 Si cylinder?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Upgrading master cylinders??

ok so some questions to ask

do you have drums or disks in the back
what year is your car
do you have abs

I dont think upgrading the master cylinder is gonna do anything really do anything

new pads/bled lines will make for a nice stiff pedal

also if your calipers are really old that will make them soft as well
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/brakeexperts-brake-chart-thread-civic-brake-upgrades-ef-eg-ek-integras-3044628/

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything you need to know is there

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In your situation I honestly wouldn't do anything. You can get better pedal "feel" with braided lines or the larger master cylinder but it won't give you any better stopping distance. The number one limiting factor is tires, if anything spend your money on a GOOD set of tires.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You didn't mention what car YOU have ? i don't think upgrading the master cyl is going to do it for you. unless you want more feel in the pedel ? in which case that might get you what you want. or try getting cross drilled/slotted rotors(can still be oem size) or HAWK/AEM brake pads more stopping power over oem.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoops... my bad!

I'm in Canada, so I have a 99-00 Civic SiR (99-00 Civic Si with ABS in the US). I have discs all around.

I essentially want to keep the car forever, in as original condition as possible. I have replaced the rotors, pads within the last 18 months; the fluid was replaced within the last 5-6 months.

The reason i want a stiffer feel is to make the car feel solid, tight and new again. Stuff just wears out overtime. I'm not overly convinced that buying new calipers will feel any different, however maybe new brake lines may be in order. I do not want the steel braided ones as I want to maintain the oem look.

Oh, and as far as straying from OEM... the only noticeable "upgrade" I have on the car are the tires... I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s for daily use. Pretty sure I can't buy a stickier tire for daily driving!

Last edited by Creepsjr; 02-21-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd get a set of Brembo Blanks, hawk pads and call it a day. There isn't much to be gained without doing a big brake upgrade.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Creepsjr
I'm not overly convinced that buying new calipers will feel any different. I do not want the steel braided ones as I want to maintain the oem look.
I can understand that but in that case the best you can really do is the upgraded M/C(get a jdm itr one if it'll fit). Braided lines no one will see them but you, the calipers will stray you from you'r OEM look imho.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Upgrading the MC will make your brakes lock up faster. That's bad. Braided lines have no noticeable effect on pedal feel unless your stock lines are literally about to **** themselves, and also run a higher risk of unexpected failure. The steel braid can trap debris between the steel and the rubber, making it rub and rupture the rubber line. The better option is to get braided steel lines that are also coated. You could find some that are coated in black, completely maintaining the stock appearance.

There are options out there for brake upgrades that maintain the use of OEM parts. I'd recommend you check the FAQ's sticky. There's a section specifically dedicated to brakes, with a VERY good write-up regarding OEM brake upgrades.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryan96GSR
I'd get a set of Brembo Blanks, hawk pads and call it a day. There isn't much to be gained without doing a big brake upgrade.
This would do absolutely nothing. What is there to gain with Brembo rotors? The brembo logo? They're still the same dimensions in every way. My rotors are near new oem pieces so there's no point replacing them.

Pads might be an option. I wish I could buy from tirerack, but since my SiR is exclusive to Canada, I can't get parts from a US supplier (the canadian version has ABS, so there are differences between the US-SI and CAN-SiR).

I guess I should specify- i was looking for firmer pedal feel more so then braking power- my thought was that a stiffer pedal would also increase stopping power, which, after reading, I have learned is not the case.

After further research, I believe the SiR master cylinder is 15/16", where as a GSR/ITR is 1". Im thinking that might firm my pedal up just a bit. Like i stated originally, I'm not looking for a crazy stiff pedal, just something a little stiffer.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Upgrading the MC will make your brakes lock up faster. That's bad. Braided lines have no noticeable effect on pedal feel unless your stock lines are literally about to **** themselves, and also run a higher risk of unexpected failure. The steel braid can trap debris between the steel and the rubber, making it rub and rupture the rubber line. The better option is to get braided steel lines that are also coated. You could find some that are coated in black, completely maintaining the stock appearance.

There are options out there for brake upgrades that maintain the use of OEM parts. I'd recommend you check the FAQ's sticky. There's a section specifically dedicated to brakes, with a VERY good write-up regarding OEM brake upgrades.
Yeah, I was pointed to a nice write up a few posts above. thanks!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's really not worth your time to change the master cylinder. If you are looking to replace the worn-out feeling, buy new OEM lines. They expand after use, which could cause some slop in your system. The master cylinder is sized with your system, a larger size could (and 99% will) make your brakes worse without the respective components it was originally designed for.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you really want to improve the braking (marginally) swap the front calipers out from some Integra units, they have a larger caliper piston than the civic unit. Swap the MC out for one from a '98 - '01 Integra LS (15/16")

Upgrading the master cylinder without doing anything else just results in a rock hard brake pedal, it will not stop any better.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question I have a 13/16 MC on my car but have Integra calipers/rotors. I would need a 15/16 MC from an 92-95 SI or 94-97 Integra to bolt on correct?

I hate my pedal feel, way too much travel IMO.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Quick question I have a 13/16 MC on my car but have Integra calipers/rotors. I would need a 15/16 MC from an 92-95 SI or 94-97 Integra to bolt on correct?

I hate my pedal feel, way too much travel IMO.
Assuming it's a '92 - '95 Civic you need either an MC from a '90 - '91 Civic EX or an MC and brake booster from a '94 - '97 Integra RS (non ABS is what's important here)

The '92 - '93 Si's had small front brakes and got the same 13/16s MC the base models did. I can personally confirm that. '94 - '95 might be different, but I'm pretty sure they're the same as well other than the rare '94 Si with ABS, which did get a 15/16s MC, you don't want it though due to taking a different sized line.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Assuming it's a '92 - '95 Civic you need either an MC from a '90 - '91 Civic EX or an MC and brake booster from a '94 - '97 Integra RS (non ABS is what's important here)

The '92 - '93 Si's had small front brakes and got the same 13/16s MC the base models did. I can personally confirm that. '94 - '95 might be different, but I'm pretty sure they're the same as well other than the rare '94 Si with ABS, which did get a 15/16s MC, you don't want it though due to taking a different sized line.
There is a 94' SI at the junkyard with a 15/16" on it. Was going to pull it a few weeks ago but decided to wait. Looks like I'll be hunting for EF's then as I would prefer not to change boosters or modify any lines. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Seagull Management

The booster really isn't hard to change, other than you have to contort yourself into some weird positions under the dash. 4 nuts and one cotter pin.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The booster really isn't hard to change, other than you have to contort yourself into some weird positions under the dash. 4 nuts and one cotter pin.
Right on, will a booster/master cylinder from a 90-93 DA Integra work? Or are the lines mounted differently? I feel like finding a DA setup would be much easier than an old EX Civic.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Seagull Management

IIRC something is different, but I can't for the life of me remember what. As far as the EX MC goes most guys just buy a new aftermarket unit. Finding a used one is like finding a needle in a haystack.