Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrading Grounding wires - can you suggest data gathering to compare before/after?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Grounding wires - can you suggest data gathering to compare before/after?

Guys,
I am about to replace the old and corroded ground wires in my engine bay with brand new 6GA wire.

Can you please help me figure out the best way to collect data while I perform this procedure?
Right now all I can think of is the following:
  • Check voltage the alternator is putting out before and after each ground replacement (@ idle I suppose?)
  • Check resistance of each ground wire (old vs. new)
  • ?

Please note: I'm not asking whether I should do this or what benefits I should expect. There are plenty of threads with that kind of info. I've done lower gauge grounding upgrades on previous cars in the past and always noticed smoother idling, start, light improvements and similar changes. My current grounds are old and damaged... all I want is for everything to be properly grounded and I got my hands on some nice black 6GA wire. That is all.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading Grounding wires - can you suggest data gathering to compare before/afte

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Guys,
I am about to replace the old and corroded ground wires in my engine bay with brand new 6GA wire.

Can you please help me figure out the best way to collect data while I perform this procedure?
Right now all I can think of is the following:
  • Check voltage the alternator is putting out before and after each ground replacement (@ idle I suppose?)
  • Check resistance of each ground wire (old vs. new)
  • ?

Please note: I'm not asking whether I should do this or what benefits I should expect. There are plenty of threads with that kind of info. I've done lower gauge grounding upgrades on previous cars in the past and always noticed smoother idling, start, light improvements and similar changes. My current grounds are old and damaged... all I want is for everything to be properly grounded and I got my hands on some nice black 6GA wire. That is all.

Thanks!
Check the total resistance up the wire to the negative battery terminal. The measure will likely be VERY small, both with old and new wire so adjust your multimeter accordingly.