Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrading the brakes of my ej9 1996 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the brakes of my ej9 1996 civic hatch

Hello, New member here and am in need of some help.
as the title says I was thinking about upgrading my rear drum brakes to discs instead, in my country (norway) there are strict rules to modifying your car so I'm looking for a conversion that I can bolt on.
i understand that civic hatches with vtec came with rear discs and i can swap trailing arms off a vtec and onto my ej9, that is something that i can get "approved" in my country.

now the reason im typing up a New thread and not searching the forum is that i try and try to read up on this but i literally get swamped with acronyms and countless ways to upgrade.

Basically i want to get rear discs for my ej9, and i need to get it approved in my country so i would need something thats already on a civic approved from factory. I want 4 studs if that is possible, if not i would need to upgrade the front.

is it just for me to buy trailing arms, parking brake wire and a prop valve and switch over?

explain it like in 5 please

thank you 😁
Old 09-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading the brakes of my ej9 1996 civic hatch

Your request is not as simple as you may think. Civics are not equal throughout the world. So what is present in USA may not be in your country.

The unfortunate truth is you will have to attempt researching what options were available on civic's in your country to learn what "factory" options are available to you.

Most of the knowledge here is for USDM and CDM civics.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjornali

Is it just for me to buy trailing arms, parking brake wire and a prop valve and switch over?
TomCat39 is right in that it's not always universal, but a few things are.

All late 1995 - 2000 (EK) civic chassis were stamped the same worldwide. That said, if you can find another EK hatch in your country with rear disk then you should be able to pull all the parts you need. Spend the time and money looking for clean set and don't waste your time and money on a rusted out set of rear brakes. It's not worth it.

Start with the whole rear brake setup: trailing arms, rotors, calipers, brake lines. It'll all bolt right up the same as you took off the old ones. If you pull it from another hatch, you can also use the parking brake cable. Get all this on and bleed the brakes per the service manual. You'll also need an alignment when you're done.

Go for a drive and see what the pedal feels like. If there is a lot of pedal travel before stopping then you can upgrade the master cylinder to a 15/16 or 1-inch MC. If you feel you need to apply a lot of pressure to stop you might need to swap the booster. If when you really push the pedal down you lock the rears before the fronts, then you should change your prop valve.

Ultimately as TomCat mentioned, you won't really know til you start in. It sounds confusing a bit at first, but it's a pretty straightforward swap if you get all the right parts.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Yep, really simple to do.

5 bolts
Brake line
Parking brake cable
Beverage of choice
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

master cylinder to a 15/16 or 1-inch MC

Where can i find either of these?

not so much worried about wrenching, it's just all so new to me the acronyms different models years and model names and all that makes it hard.