Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

up and down idle quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default up and down idle quick question

hey all, just swapped a d16z6 in and it has a skunk2 intake manifold with a str 68mm TB

im getting a fluctuating idle and cant find the vacuum leak (that is most likely causing it)

i checked all the hoses and such and they are ok.

ive heard of people using brake cleaner to find them but im unsure of how this works. Do you just spray it on while the engine is running and watch for it to evaporate quicker in one spot?

in other words...how do you use the brake cleaner trick to find a vacuum leak
Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I've never done this trick but I think it works like a tire, when you spin it in water and look for the bubbles, or a gas fitting when you spray it with windex and look for the bubbles.

Spray it on and look for the bubbles that keep poppin out, the air coming out will make 'em.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: up and down idle quick question (92ehatch)

The vacuum leak will cause the brake cleaner to "bubble" in the spot that is leaking. Also, do those motors have FIT valves? I don't think so, but that could be a possiblity as well.

-Shane
Old 10-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally I've never done this trick but I think it works like a tire, when you spin it in water and look for the bubbles, or a gas fitting when you spray it with windex and look for the bubbles.

Spray it on and look for the bubbles that keep poppin out, the air coming out will make 'em.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds great and all, but since its a vacuum leak, it wont bubble will it? its sucking lol
Old 10-22-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: up and down idle quick question (nighttrain33)

*Edit* you don't have a FIT valve anyway.

-Shane
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

they do have a FITV HOWEVER, the throttle body i have does not utilize it.

in fact, the map sensor is located on the bottom of the TB, TPS on the back like always, IAC is in the stock-like location.

it only fluctuates after the car is warmed up

my best guess is IAC o rings are shot, or TB gasket. but i dunno.

also, im using the stock firewall MAP harness from my d15b7 ,not the one on the z6 engine harness (using a p06) not throwing any codes, but would that cause a problem?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: up and down idle quick question (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*Edit* you don't have a FIT valve anyway.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm.. This is a D16Z6 - it's OBD-I '92-'95 motor, I'm pretty sure he does have a FITV. They did away with them in '96.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they do have a FITV HOWEVER, the throttle body i have does not utilize it.

in fact, the map sensor is located on the bottom of the TB, TPS on the back like always, IAC is in the stock-like location.

it only fluctuates after the car is warmed up

my best guess is IAC o rings are shot, or TB gasket. but i dunno.

also, im using the stock firewall MAP harness from my d15b7 ,not the one on the z6 engine harness (using a p06) not throwing any codes, but would that cause a problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If either of those gaskets/rings are shot, you'll see smoke coming out of there from the burning coolant. Do you? What is making you believe that is the problem?

Start with the cheapest and most likely gaskets first.

May wanna try the TB and IACV gaskets. If it's still doin the same change the IACV with one you know works. IF it's still not goin down, I'd check AGAIN for a leak, this time more thoroughly.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "my throttlebody doesn't require a FITV?"

What do you mean? The throttlebody may not have it but that doesn't neccessarily mean it's not neccessay for your car.

Modified by Syndacate at 10:45 AM 10/22/2006
Old 10-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If either of those gaskets/rings are shot, you'll see smoke coming out of there from the burning coolant. Do you? What is making you believe that is the problem?

Start with the cheapest and most likely gaskets first.

May wanna try the TB and IACV gaskets. If it's still doin the same change the IACV with one you know works. IF it's still not goin down, I'd check AGAIN for a leak, this time more thoroughly.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "my throttlebody doesn't require a FITV?"

What do you mean? The throttlebody may not have it but that doesn't neccessarily mean it's not neccessay for your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it doesnt use an FITV because the throttle body does not use it. its not that hard to get. people block off their FITV all the time to "lower intake temperature" . That is a load of **** and it does no good, but besides that. mine does not use the FITV.

ill try the IAC gasket and TB gasket. I also have a IAC from my d15 at my disposal
Old 10-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyways, i dont wanna get into the "what sensors i have, or dont have" stuff yet.

im gonna start with a vacuum leak and just needed ot know how to use the brake cleaner trick.

thats been answered, so im gonna try that. if i cant find anything that way, ill be back getting a little more in depth thanks for the help
Old 10-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh, well I wasn't trying to relate it to the topic, I was just curious as to how a car meant to run with a FITV....isn't.

Wasn't a suggestion as much as it was a question.

Do the gaskets, tell us what happens afterwords.

PS:
Did you do anything to make this start? When did it start? Did you like, change the IACV or TB and it started? Was there any catalyst? Or did it just randomly start?