Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Unusual steering wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual steering wheel problem

Hello HT.

Im having a weird issue with my steering/steering wheel.

In the morning when I start my car for the first time of the day, my steering wheel is like stuck. I literally have to like "break it free" every morning. It feels like its "frozen" in place or something, but it has not been cold. Whats weird is that it only does it the first time I drive my car for the day. Its not stuck super bad, but definitely have to crack it free.
I just don't know what I should be looking at/for here, I have looked at my rod ends, and ball joints, and bushings, even though I don't really think it has something to do with those. Or maybe I am unable to tell its one of those..? Idk.

Also my car (96 civic) has no power steering. Any help/direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

I searched for an answer to this question already, but just kept on finding things about broken steering locks. Which I dont think mine is broken, but maybe it is starting to fail? Idk.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:28 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Unusual steering wheel problem

I've found this happen when the wheel doesn't want to release from the steering lock nicely. It gets "stuck" in the lock even when I release it with the key. The secret I've found is to move it slightly before I turn the key to release, and then it seems fine. At least, that's how I remember doing it? Hasn't happened in a long time. But, the secret was in moving the wheel a bit before turning the key. Anyway, try that, hopefully it's that simple.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply!

Well the problem is that the wheel is literally frozen, (it feels like something in the steering is rusted and like getting stuck together) like I cant move it at all. I don't even get that normal slight free play you get when the steering lock is engaged, until I break it free, then its normal. That's just why I was sort of thinking it wasn't the steering lock, but I will look at it a little more. At least I have a direction to go now haha. That's just what I hate the most, is when I have no direction to go ha.

If I figure it out, Ill be sure to mention it on here.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not the steering wheel lock acting up, could it be the power steering pump/fluids that need to be checked?