Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel

I have been combating a problem for sometime, of my steering wheel be very loose and wiggly feeling. As of recently my car has become very unstable while driving from a take off as well when driving on the highway with windy conditions. When I take off the car bounces from left to right, very sporadically and can be even worse when road conditions are bumpy. To correct this I have to pay special attention to my steering and correct this before I jump into another lane. This is very frustrating as my steering wheel isn't as accurate as it use to be.

What do I need to replace/fix to get rid of this problem?
92 Civic Sedan DX
Old 10-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel (buzlink)

Its time to rebuild the front end. Check and replace inner and outer tie rods upper and lower ball joints and inspect the lower control arm bushing for worn out and damage bushings. Word of advice If you find one bad on one side and not the other replace both sides. with the age of the car it time. Then get the car realigned and you will think you have a brand new car!!(handling wise)
Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel (instructor74)

About how much does it cost to do soemthing of this sort?
Doing the work myself.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figure around $250 for all the parts that's 2 inner and 2 outer tie rods L and R upper control arms (the ball joints and arms are one piece) and 2 lower ball joints if you need them. You will have to shop around for the best prices Once you are done replacing the parts you are looking at another $80 to get the car realigned.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">figure around $250 for all the parts that's 2 inner and 2 outer tie rods L and R upper control arms (the ball joints and arms are one piece) and 2 lower ball joints if you need them. You will have to shop around for the best prices Once you are done replacing the parts you are looking at another $80 to get the car realigned.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks
Are these all Honda parts new or used?
What parts should be Honda, and what parts it doesn't matter?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have front upper camber kits. Like skunk2...
Old 10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel (spoonracer84eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonracer84eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have front upper camber kits. Like skunk2...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope everything is stock, and has not been touched.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had this same problem before, my steering rack was shot. So much play in my steering wheel so i changed out a new rack and pinion and now my steering is solid. But first check ur tie rods, bushings, etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to take a look, and see what I find out.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buzlink &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks
Are these all Honda parts new or used?
What parts should be Honda, and what parts it doesn't matter?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>
On something like this just buy new. The prices are based on aftermarket. You might have to go oem for the lower ball joints.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've had this same problem before, my steering rack was shot. So much play in my steering wheel so i changed out a new rack and pinion and now my steering is solid. But first check ur tie rods, bushings, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know the car needs a new rack and pinion, how do I know if the tie rods and ball joints are shot?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure its the rack and not the inner tie rods that are bad? The inner tie rods look like they are part of the rack. they are inside the boots on ether end of the rack. You have to remove the bands and slide the rubber boot off to get to the inner tie rod to change them. There is a neat tool that slides over the tie rod and lock into the ball end to let you take them off with almost no work at all. It is a lot easyer then changing out the rack.

Edit: To check any joint look at that joint grab the wheel and try to move it left and right, up and down and in and out (rocking the top and bottom of the wheel) if you see any play in the joint it should be replaced.It may only be a slight movement If you have it off the car the joint should be nice and tight and take a little force to move it in any direction. The movement should be smooth and have no binding to it
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure its the rack and not the inner tie rods that are bad? The inner tie rods look like they are part of the rack. they are inside the boots on ether end of the rack. You have to remove the bands and slide the rubber boot off to get to the inner tie rod to change them. There is a neat tool that slides over the tie rod and lock into the ball end to let you take them off with almost no work at all. It is a lot easyer then changing out the rack.

Edit: To check any joint look at that joint grab the wheel and try to move it left and right, up and down and in and out (rocking the top and bottom of the wheel) if you see any play in the joint it should be replaced.It may only be a slight movement If you have it off the car the joint should be nice and tight and take a little force to move it in any direction. The movement should be smooth and have no binding to it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the joint is loose coming up from the wheel into where the tie rod meats the rack and pinion. Or at least that is that I believe I'm looking at. The rubber piece no longer covers the area that it is suppose to cover. You can grab what I believe is the tie rod and wiggle it in and out (towards center of the car out towards the wheel). Does anyone have a write up or pictures of the process of changing these parts? I know my rack and pinion is going out, because my steering wheel is loose, and does not hold to center.
What I'm wanting to fix is the lunging of the car from left to right under acceleration as well as while shifting gears, and the tendency to follow grooves in the road.
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steering rack is shot.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unstable Steering, Very Loose Steering Wheel (mike1114)

here is a blow up of the rack with part numbers and locations

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...R+BOX

#1 is the inner tie rod, #23 is the outer tie rod #21,#22 are the dust seals

If #21 or # 22 is torn or missing you will need to replace them along with #1 on both sides of the rack. It sounds like you have a lot of play in the outer so you will need to replace those also. The problems you are having with the handling of your car are very common with worn out steering parts. I dought that the rack is shot. Just take the inner tiie rod off and check the rack for play.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is a blow up of the rack with part numbers and locations

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...R+BOX

#1 is the inner tie rod, #23 is the outer tie rod #21,#22 are the dust seals

If #21 or # 22 is torn or missing you will need to replace them along with #1 on both sides of the rack. It sounds like you have a lot of play in the outer so you will need to replace those also. The problems you are having with the handling of your car are very common with worn out steering parts. I dought that the rack is shot. Just take the inner tiie rod off and check the rack for play.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How do I check the rack (rack pinion system) for play?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about Rack Guide Adjustment?
P 17-5 in the Service Manual.

Could this help out, as well?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not 100% sure with a honda but on older cars that i owned with manual racks. There is an access cover you open and adjust a threaded assy to move the gear s closer together. Yes read that section in the manual it will be a big help. I Know that there is a area that talks about the free play in the steering wheel. It might be in the general maintenance section if its not in the steering section
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on ebay you can buy the whole front and kit as a package for less than 200.