Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo

I have recieved alot of PM's and emails concerning my view on the Unorthodox pulleys and why I refuse to run their products on any of my motors. As I have stated before, Unorthodox Racing does not have a perfectly balanced crank pulley. When mixed with boost, or higher amounts of power and stress on the rotating assembly, this can turn into a very bad thing. An unbalanced crank pulley, which might sound so small and insignificant, can send vibrations down the crank shaft and put extra stress or friction on certain parts of the motor. In our case, the UR pully caused the oil pump gear to shatter, hence cracking the oil pump housing, and spinning some rod bearings. I don't have pics of the bottom end pulled apart yet, but the oil pan was just filled with chunks and shavings of bearings . I'm not trying to bash a company, but just letting you guys know of my experiences. This is just one of a few motors I have seen this happen to in the past few years.

Specs on motor: B16a3, completely stock internals. Stock cams, cam gears, etc. T3/To4e turbonetics ar .60, revhard mani, deltagate, and Hondata s200b with precision 880cc injectors and walbro 255. Only at 7.5 lbs and made 281whp/178tq. I'll let the pics say the rest.

The motor

The UR pulley. Let me add, this pulley is not even that old. The wear on it just from belts is rediculous and the chips and stuff is just from random debris and rocks that might have hit it. I've never had an OEM pulley look like this, not even in 13 years of wear.

And the result

Old 02-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (JDMH22HATCH)

ouch

i have 1 of those on my car and have heard mixed reviews on them
some people say they are ok if you have the bottom end balanced to that crank pulley and others say not to use it

those pics convinced me to put my stock pulley back on
Old 02-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (ebp 99 si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebp 99 si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ouch

those pics convinced me to put my stock pulley back on</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

N1 stick to stock JDM
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (B20badboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20badboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">N1 stick to stock JDM</TD></TR></TABLE>

True . Fluidamper will be getting a call from me and my roomie soon though.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would really consider a fluidamper
do they have them for h22?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (ebp 99 si)

you ever notice how many ricers run pullys... just cause there easy to install.. its like there attracted to ****... lol
Old 02-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I have stated before, Unorthodox Racing does not have a perfectly balanced crank pulley. When mixed with boost, or higher amounts of power and stress on the rotating assembly, this can turn into a very bad thing...In our case, the UR pully caused the oil pump gear to shatter, hence cracking the oil pump housing, and spinning some rod bearings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've read your posts regarding the UR pulleys, and you're certainly entitled to your opinions on the subject. However, I'm curious about two main things. First, how have you determined that the UR pulley is not "perfectly balanced"? Have you performed any sort of balance tests on the UR pulley versus a stock pulley or a CTR N1 pulley? If not, most would probably agree that the claim is more opinion and hypothesis than actual fact.

Second, how have you been able to directly link the damage in your motor to the use of the UR pulley? There have been others before you who have suffered an oil pump gear failure, and the subsequent damage such a failure can cause, (Toda, in fact, markets an upgraded gear to help address this issue in "high-performance" motors), but I would highly doubt that in every situation where a failure has occurred, a UR pulley was installed. Again, it's one thing to hypothesize or formulate a theory, but presenting that theory as "fact" to the H-T community should require more substantiation that you've provided thus far.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (Padawan)

good point made, seemed like an old run down block to begin with and why run that big *** UR pulley when all u need is the single one at the most.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If not, most would probably agree that the claim is more opinion and hypothesis than actual fact.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good points. I am making my statement as an opinion and not as "fact", but I am just speaking from my experiences. One of the things that bothers me so much is the fact that the UR pulley got so chipped, bent, and worn away at the belt guides just from normal wear and tear. I am not saying that I have never seen a chipped OEM pulley, but this is far beyond some tiny chips. It is obvious that the pulley is way out of balance and its not even that old. And the oil pump was fairly new as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chameleon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good point made, seemed like an old run down block to begin with and why run that big *** UR pulley when all u need is the single one at the most.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It wasn't a run down block, just dirty. As for the pulley, the car had P/S and A/C previously.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you ever notice how many ricers run pullys... just cause there easy to install.. its like there attracted to ****... lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

just cause its easy to install doesnt mean they are ricers....an intake is really easy to install and im sure 99% of people on HT have one on their cars and not all of them are ricers....so good call
Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unorthodox Crank Pully + Boost = NoNo (Burns)

this is an interesting topic, please keep us informed, everyone has their right to entitle their own opinion, has anyone had the same situtation with AEM? or any other products out there?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:06 PM

I know someone with the same problem...using an aftermarket underdrive pulley....with boost on a b16 swap. He too got metals in the oil pan...his oil pump was a goner...replaced twice. Now..his car is just sitting waiting for the oem underdrive pulley. Stick with stock.