Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body!

Alright, as some may know I recently completed an auto-> manual conversion on my d16y8 96 civic.

Everything as far as the swap goes is complete, so don't worry if you don't know much about that. The only problem we were left with was a coolant leak which was coming from the intake manifold. That leak has since been fixed.

HOWEVER...

We put the IM back on and tried to start the car. It did not start and it seemed like the battery was dead. We tried to jump it using another cars battery. Still wouldn't start.

We noticed one of the fuel injector seals wasn't completely in to the fuel rail so we fixed that problem.. We thought that may have been it.

so we try starting again. still no luck.

at this point we notice that fuel has actually flooded all the way up the intake manifold and is pouring down my short ram intake and out of the filter.

we think it may have to do with the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump relay.
normally when you start the car it would give just enough pressure to start.
right now it just keeps giving pressure and fuel.

If need any more info let me know.

I'm pretty bummed out about this.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Needs More Cowbell

Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (obligatory)

i have no clue what's wrong, but don't crank it like that. fuel does not compress.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (newby_j)

Thats a very unusual problem. The amount of fuel to fill up number 4 intake manifold runner and not evaperate would have to be atleast a gallon i would think to make it to the top and seep out the TB. But even then in order to do that you would probably be have to crank for a week straight. Your 100% sure thats gas coming out of the TB? So its safe to say your not getting spark?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (Luserkid)

no spark
and I wasn't cranking THAT long to be honest.

and yes, it has been well over a gallon we have lost.
its a really sucky problem

all I know to do is check the fuel pressure regulator and pump relay.
we'll see how that goes.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (obligatory)

Well if your not getting spark then fuel isnt your problem. Your going to have to take the intake manifold off, and i would take the head off as well and make sure everything vents out accordingly. Thats of course if you didnt seize your piston rings already from all this. After that put everything back once its nice and cleaned then pin point your spark problem. And before you ask, start with plugs, cap, rotor, ignitor, ignition coil then move to wiring then to trying a new/known working dist.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (Luserkid)

what u need to do is take ur plugs out unplug the ECU fuse top left of the under hood fuse box should be a 10AMP, try and spin the car over if alot of fuel sprays out when u spin in over then u need to isolate the cylinder then go from there, its sounds like u gotta injector hanging open
Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body! (1SiC 3DR)

and check ur wires make sure nothing is crimped and broken i would just double check everything you pulled off hope it helps and good luck
Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check your injectors... if theres over a gallon of gas in the intake manifold and you werent cranking it for hours. something has to be up with the fuel lines, fuel pressure, fuel filter, or the injectors.

i would tow that **** to honda and let them deal with it.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (boosh)

Okay thanks for the suggestions guys.

One other thing I heard is make sure I can blow through the Pressure Reg.

I'm going to keep you guys posted on this.
Today I took off the throttle body to get a better look and check the gasket.

here's a pic of the "intake maniflood"

Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Jesus, how did this happen?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (yoffer)

I don't know man

I guess it's possible it could be an electrical problem.
At any rate if anyone could please ask any mechanics they know, that would be awesome.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (obligatory)

did you connect the return fuel line to the intake manifold, take a picture of the fuel lines for us.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicones)

i had a car someone did there own "wire tuck" and just twisted and taped the injector wires together and cause the injector to hang wide *** open and load that cylinder up with fuel also i've seen dirty or clogged injector not atomize fuel correctly and spray like a damn waterhose washing the cylinder down with fuel i would double and triple check everything,pull the manifold off disconnect all the injectors from the harness and go one by one pluggin them up to see if each injector has a nice mist or if its shooting fluid straight out like an open hose
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (1SiC 3DR)

Alright here's whats up.

Haven't had time to do much of anything because of school, but I think the general consensus is that it has to be an injector problem. It really sucks since this is my daily driver and I have to wake up really early to take my dad to work so I can use his car for school.

Anyways, I found a friend that has an extra set of injectors, and I got a fuel pressure regulator.

As soon as I can get someone to help me out, I'm going to make sure my FPR is in working order.
Then I'll take off the intake mani and unplug the injectors to try to figure out which one is doing it. also my buddy recommended to check the engine oil before I start cranking to make sure it didn't get diluted.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definately sounds like a good plan and do make sure u dont have a gas odor like ur friend said coming from the oil, bad things will happen if foreign liquid gets in ur oil
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Roger roger.

Yeah when I peeked inside the intake manifold I could no longer see gasoline at the rims of the 4 holes. I stuck my finger down the first one and didn't get any fuel either. I suppose it may have evaporated over the last couple of days, but is there a chance it seeped into all parts of my engine?

That's the only thing bothering me right now...if having gasoline in those parts will cause any long term damage.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its quite possible it seeped into the engine. I dont see how the injectors could fill it up that much so quickly, are you positive the fuel return line isnt hooked up to the brake booster nipple on the manifold or and other manifold port?

if it did seep into the cylinders take the plugs out and see if the cylinders are filled. if the are syphon it out , then crank it just a couple times with the plugs out to spit most of the fuel out, dont crank it too long because all the oil has now been washed off the cylinder walls and piston, make sure the oil is changed too.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Re: (Crx Jimmy)

Many people seem to think the lines are wrong, and I can see why.

However, they aren't.
I have checked and double checked all coolant, vacuum and of course fuel lines.

Before we took the IM back off to fix the coolant leak, the car was running fine.
We drove it around the block a couple times before returning and finding the coolant leakage. (which is now fixed.)

Only time will tell I suppose.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like CRXJIMMY said change the oil and spin it over a couple of times to make sure the gas is out of the cylinder and put new plugs in and hope for the best everything should be ok aslong as u take ur time dont rush things because thats when u forget
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Did some testing today!
First, we put on a new fuel pressure regulator.

next, we unbolted the fuel rail and lifted the injectors out of the manifold to test them.

we unplugged 3/4 of them so as to reduce the amount of fuel spraying everywhere (ie: only test one at a time)

Injector #1 had a constant spray of gas, as did #4.

This led us to believe that this is an electrical problem, since all 4 injectors are hung open.

We found out that when my dad tried to wire the reverse lights to the ECU, he may have tapped in to the wrong wire, thus short circuiting the part of the ECU that deals with the fuel system.

We plugged in the auto ECU and Injectors #1 and #4 sprayed no fuel at all. Not even a drop.

I assume this means it's the ECU?

Also, the engine oil dipstick does smell like gas.
We will flush and change the oil before doing anything else.

The spark plugs are not more wet than usual, and gas does not flow up the holes when they are removed.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I don't think your ECU even has anything to do with the lighting system at all... I would pull all the DIY wiring from the ECU and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: (saywhat)

yeah, when the flooding first started we realized it may have been the wire we tapped into so we undid that but it kept doing it.

All external ECU wiring is how it should be.

I think we basically gave power to something that didn't want it and fried a part of the ecu
Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM

alright assuming the problem was the ECU, should I do anything else besides change the oil and check other fluids before driving?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM

okay we flushed the system and changed the ECU and the fuel problem was fixed!

it proved to be pretty tough to start since there was a bunch of gas in the engine, but once we got it going it worked fine.

we let it idle for about 20-30 mins and the gas burning out of the engine made a bunch of white exhaust.

it eventually went away and we drove around for awhile. car runs great however I'm left with 2 problems:

1) it seems the VSS has malfunctioned. speedometer stays at zero and the mileage doesn't go up.

2) CEL #13- BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor.

I think the speed sensor may have gone bad due to some coolant and gasoline leaking on to the wires and going into it.

the cel--I heard that on some cars the BAR sensor is built in to the ECU. does anyone know if this holds true to my car?

thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mark.
did you changed out the VSS plug on the harness?

I thing you told me you did.
anyways, you just need to:
1. look at the plug
2. pull out the white part
3. plug the plug back into the sensor on the tranny.
4. DONE!

Congras on the swap! we both have a little problem....

oh your V-Tak works?

Quick Reply: A unique fuel problem: Gasoline is flowing out of the throttle body!