Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Understanding Chipped ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding Chipped ECU's

Well since Im a poor college kid I have been stuck with this god awful D16y7 non vtec for over a year now so I never needed to worry about swapping ECU's and chipping them.

Now I understand the concept of WHY you chip them so you can add maps like Hondata and juice every ounce of power out of your car ect. ect, but I am planning on an engine swap this summer BTW my car is a 99' Civic DX.

I plan on looking for a B series, either a B16, B18 or B20 so my question is what kind of ECU would I need for those motors or would be the best?

Also why would I go from an OBD-2 to an OBD-1?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Understanding Chipped ECU's

Originally Posted by KingDakota12
I plan on looking for a B series, either a B16, B18 or B20 so my question is what kind of ECU would I need for those motors or would be the best?
Use the correct ECU for the engine you're swapping.
Also why would I go from an OBD-2 to an OBD-1?
You cannot tune an OBD2 ECU.

Did you do any research?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Use the correct ECU for the engine you're swapping.

You cannot tune an OBD2 ECU.

Did you do any research?
I did some, but I like direct answers. Thank you though my friend.

But wouldn't the correct ECU for some of the engines named above be OBD2?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Uh yeah. If you swap in an OBD2 engine. This goes back to the research thing that I thought all college people were used to doing. If you want your engine tuned you will need to get the proper OBD1 ECU and get a step down harness to run it. Depending on where you live these might help you to FAIL your local inspections.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my research. Asking questions which are what forums are for.

Well Im from PA, but how would I get that to pass inspection or is that just not possible?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get a b20 motor you can swap it in, use your harness, and the ecu will plug in, since your car = obd2 and b20= obd2

there are obd1 and obd2 gsr motors...you will want to convert to obd1 w/ either gsr motor you get, same goes for b16's, but they also come obd0.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This goes back to the research thing that I thought all college people were used to doing.
haha
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TaffetaEj6
if you get a b20 motor you can swap it in, use your harness, and the ecu will plug in, since your car = obd2 and b20= obd2

there are obd1 and obd2 gsr motors...you will want to convert to obd1 w/ either gsr motor you get, same goes for b16's, but they also come obd0.
I found a gsr B18c1 online Im going to look at next week which is an OBD2.So if I want to convert it I need a certain harness like from Rywire.com or what?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha x2
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a gsr B18c1 online Im going to look at next week which is an OBD2.So if I want to convert it I need a certain harness like from Rywire.com or what?
you know there will be obd1 gsr's online too? Might as well have to do less converting w/ starting out w/ what obd your gonna be.

more than just the jumper harness dude...more like ecu, injectors, dizzy, ect ect ect
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should try and do some research, this concept is not NEW. We are trying to basically teach you how to walk but w/ you understanding obd, when you can look at a couple old threads and understand way faster.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you know there will be obd1 gsr's online too? Might as well have to do less converting w/ starting out w/ what obd your gonna be.
Your right and I found one. here is the description: Well it's a B16 first, but Ill take it because it has lower compression if I wanna go boost: Stock b16 from a JDM 97 Del Sol vtec and it's obd1, and offering also a gsr tranny from a 99 teggy.

Good combo?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
The Grumpiest

Your right and I found one. here is the description: Well it's a B16 first, but Ill take it because it has lower compression if I wanna go boost: Stock b16 from a JDM 97 Del Sol vtec and it's obd1, and offering also a gsr tranny from a 99 teggy.

Good combo?
A JDM Del Sol? Really? Is it running a JDM ECU too?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good combo?
is that a craigslist add or something? and clearly you are a noob. All b16s have higher compression than a gsr. Gsr is better to boost bone stock but not really the issue. The issue being your false info
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is that a craigslist add or something? and clearly you are a noob. All b16s have higher compression than a gsr. Gsr is better to boost bone stock but not really the issue. The issue being your false info
That's why Im here just trying to learn learn learn, but now that you got that out of the way on me is that a good set up since it's a decent motor and obd1?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if ur just planning on running a cold air intake,header,and exhaust i would not go thru the hassle of trying to tune the 3-5hp u may gain from using a stock ecu for that motor. get a obd2 motor and obd2 ecu(make sure the ecu does not have a immobilizer in it) if it does there are ways of disabling it but u would need to research. if ur boosting it you HAVE to get a chipped ecu, hondata , aem stand alone unit to run it. no FMU ,stock injectors ,a fuel pressure regulator and stock ecu will not cut it and it will blow up down the road. if ur going to boost take it one step at a time get it running N/A with all the bugs fixed out of it. then do some more research about boosting. even if u cant use the search here im sure google will direct u to the rite places to learn more. its been discussed time and time again
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why Im here just trying to learn learn learn, but now that you got that out of the way on me is that a good set up since it's a decent motor and obd1?
what do you mean by decent motor? you dont know anything about it. And once again since you cant awnser ?'s is that a craigslist add? How do you know its from a 97 jdm sol?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Why are you stuck on this OBD1 stuff? Any B-series will be better than what you have-even the lowly B16a. And no, From what little I read that doen't sounds like a good combo.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
if ur just planning on running a cold air intake,header,and exhaust i would not go thru the hassle of trying to tune the 3-5hp u may gain from using a stock ecu for that motor. get a obd2 motor and obd2 ecu(make sure the ecu does not have a immobilizer in it) if it does there are ways of disabling it but u would need to research. if ur boosting it you HAVE to get a chipped ecu, hondata , aem stand alone unit to run it. no FMU ,stock injectors ,a fuel pressure regulator and stock ecu will not cut it and it will blow up down the road. if ur going to boost take it one step at a time get it running N/A with all the bugs fixed out of it. then do some more research about boosting. even if u cant use the search here im sure google will direct u to the rite places to learn more. its been discussed time and time again
dude calm down...and slow down, this kid is not gonna understand any of this
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Here's some research.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/i-h-e-combo-b16a2-2927366/
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want your engine tuned you will need to get the proper OBD1 ECU
thats why
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you will want to convert to obd1 w/ either gsr
and thats why
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you stuck on this OBD1 stuff? Any B-series will be better than what you have-even the lowly B16a. And no, From what little I read that doen't sounds like a good combo.
Im not stuck on it. I know any motor will be better and I plan on not being too picky when the time comes for a new one, but after I do a swap and get all the kinks done down the road I will want to boost, and if I have an obd2 than it will be a bigger hassle.

dude calm down...and slow down, this kid is not gonna understand any of this
I understood that just fine thank you. Im not an idiot if you guys think so. Sure Ive only been a Honda guy for 2 years or so and do mostly body work, but I know some basics on motors and that is why Im here to ask questions.

YES it's from Craigslist, but that is the only place I can find a motor because all the U pull it yards have no quality motors except for auto d15.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now Im torn. One guy(marc) says any B series motor would be better than my D16y7 which is the obvious truth, but I don't wanna go N/A. Yes I should and will take it one step at a time and a quality B series motor swap is what I wanna do first.

I guess I shouldn't worry if it's obd1 or obd2 at first, but when it comes to boost and I wanna chip then I will have to worry.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is going nowhere except back to square1 in the 90's when all this bullshit info has been stated countless times. Good luck to you sir and hope you find what your looking for.

Quick Reply: Understanding Chipped ECU's