Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Underdrive crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 03:08 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive crank pulley

First, if you don't have anything useful to say don't bother posting b/c you're wasting my time and yours.......

Now, I have a 2000 Si, am getting ready to have the belt changed (82Kmiles) b/c i'm going to be driving cross country and don't want to have any problems with the belt breaking. Now, I have a little knowledge on pulleys, but believe me I'm no expert. What I want to know is 1) Is one crank pulley REALLY any better than the next....(UR, TopSpeed, OEM N1)....I mean they're all made of aluminum and I would assume they're all the same diameter, right? 2)Are they worth the money?

Please only post useful information. Don't compare brands if you've only owned/ used one particular brand. Just honest reviews and knowledge that you're willing to share.

Thanks

[Modified by BLUE MENACE, 6:11 PM 3/29/2002]
Old 03-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (BLUE MENACE)

don't get one....unless it is harmonically balanced you will eventually warp your crank...besides that wonderfull risk...you have no power gain, and marginal at best throttle reponse increase to look forward to.

IMO if you want to get a lighter crank pully, get the CTR one (if your DOHC) or none at all.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i beleive the OEM pulley is best balanced for ur motor..if i were to change pulleys id look into one for the AC or generator
Old 03-29-2002, 08:01 PM
New User

Have you read this? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=143903
Old 03-29-2002, 09:25 PM
New User

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (wantmorepower)

Yeah I had come across that thread.......it didn't answer my questions though......just a bunch of sarcastic remarks.....and all that talk about harmonic balancing, I didn't think harmonic balancing had anything to do with the pulley? Isn't that something internal? Maybe i'll just leave it stock........but if it's worth upgrading i'd like to take advantage of replacing it while i'm getting the belt changed, make sense?
Old 03-30-2002, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend the Civic Type R N1 crank pulley. I do not think it's harmonically balanced though. Since it's OEM honda I'm thinking it won't be that bad. It weight 2.5 lbs. It's a goo pulley, good quality. The UR pulley gives some real problems with the crank journal 1.

I'd go CTR N1 or nothing. Good luck tryin' to find one, I've been looking for over 6 months. I think it'd be really usefull cause you are really taking a lot of rotational mass off when you don't have the journals for the power steering and ac to turn around also. I'm thinking the motor will rev much better.

Also. I believe from Acura you can order in a pully for an ITR without the journals for the ac and power steering there either. I don't know the price but I'm thinking that might fit the bill for you.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (Bumnah)

i have a quick off-topic question; does the underdrive pulley add horsepower? My friend bought one and said it would add 45-50 horses, and I was ready to smack him, but i didnt know much about them, so i figured i would ask. (he also thinks his car will have 275 horses non-turbo on a 96 dx 4 door after he is done working on it,ok........)
Old 03-30-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (shakenbake2001)

Your friend is an idiot!

The pully doesn't add HP but frees up HP meaning since is takes less power to turn the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, crank pully) it puts more to the ground.

1-2 hp at most on a Honda......
Old 03-30-2002, 02:05 PM
New User

bwahahaha.........

275hp?!!!
Maybe in his dreams.........what a jack@$$

Does anybody know, FOR SURE, if crank pulleys throw off the harmonic balance?
Old 03-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, if the process used to create the product does not include testing for balance...impurifications in the metal will cause it to "wobble" due to said imbalance.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (SuperDragII)

Is there a way to balance this (an aftermarket crank pulley) afterwards given that you have the money to do so? There must be a way to balance it...right?

Also say that maybe you have an aftermarket crank (a nice billet one because you were stupid and screwed up your old one (not that I did that...i didn't)) .... Then would this even apply...is there balancing to be done or balancing that can be done?

thanks
Old 03-31-2002, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (archmage)

i dont know about u guys... but i wouldnt personally put back together a motor without balancing everything... (pulley included) and yes u can just balance the pulley...

as for the pulley being harmoniclly dampened or whatnot... it seems as thougha couple people here dont really know what it really means

the harmonic dampener is basically a rubber insert in the middle of the stock pulley... ita a couple mm's thick... u can see it if u look at as it goes through it... this rubber absorbs any shock that may occur when the motor is suddenly revved or basically anything else that can cause shock.... the n1 pulley does not have a dampener on well as most other (if not all) aftermarket pulleys... there are a lot of misconceptions about pulleys in general. all the people who say they are bad and that they ruin bearings... im not saying i dont believe u... but have u personally see this? or is this just heresay as i am honestly interested in this as well...

either way, im using the unorthodox pulley on my car... then again im trying to get as much possible hp out of my setup as i possibly can so every little bit matters
Old 03-31-2002, 05:29 PM

Re: Underdrive crank pulley (Bumnah) (shakenbake2001)

i have a quick off-topic question; does the underdrive pulley add horsepower? My friend bought one and said it would add 45-50 horses, and I was ready to smack him, but i didnt know much about them, so i figured i would ask. (he also thinks his car will have 275 horses non-turbo on a 96 dx 4 door after he is done working on it,ok........)

on a dx too loll
i dont think that is worth buying the pulley ..
Old 04-01-2002, 03:46 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (ek9t)

these are MY bearings..........
http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/Pics2/badmains.jpg

Only took 10,000 miles.

Now go look at a fast Honda, like one running 9-11 seconds.
What damper/crank pulley they running????

A HEAVY stock one.
Ever wonder WHY???
Old 04-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (Mista Bone)

I've been running UO crank pully for almost 50k miles now.. no problems whatsover.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMHO, the gains are minimal. With that said, instead of replacing the crank pulley, try replacing the other pulleys that it drivers (power steering, alternator, etc.). You won't get underdrive effect, but you will lighten the belt drive system overall. Just DON'T put smaller pulleys on just your power steering or alternator, think about it, you'll figure out why you don't want to do this.

But as far as all of this talk about harmonic distortion goes, it all depends on the balance of the motor itself, obviously, but also (but not always) the displacement of the motor. Honda motors are fairly well balanced from the factory. They've got to be since they can rev to the RPMs that they do. And one benefit of that relatively good balancing is that you could probably get a crank pulley installed, and not have any negative side effects.

The reason why I mention larger displacement motors (example: the 2.0 to 2.5 range and up) is because what I've seen is that these motors typically are not balanced as well from the factory (as a Honda motor). Add to that the larger moving parts they are comprised of and you can soon realize why a harmonic damper is very important at the crank pulley.

And then there's installation. Sometimes failure is caused by people who install there belts so damn tight that it ruins bearings. There's a reason why Honda wants a certain amount of deflection in their belts.

For my car, I would never replace the pulleys. There are other ways to make power, and I like having my alternator and power steering pump working at the speed they were designed to. HTH.

[Modified by kf_Type-R, 8:40 AM 4/1/2002]

[Modified by kf_Type-R, 8:41 AM 4/1/2002]
Old 04-01-2002, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (kf_Type-R)

im going to go the other way on this one...the power is slightly noticeable, but due to the excessive wear this uts on the crank, i would say its not worth the risk.

also, it is a quiet a bitch to install.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (maks)

After upgrading the pulley for the alternator, is there a way to minimize the loss of power generated? I'd like to have as much power on tap as possible; I even have an aftermarket, high-amperage alternator because I'm into Car-Audio...My system can "burp" about 3,500 watts total (being at around 2.5k rms), but usually i don't run it very loudly because I don't want to go deaf and also because it's a Sound Quality system not made for SPL (which is why I might replace the subs with tamer ones soon)...still, for competitions, I don't want any limitations at all..I've put in the custom fiberglassing and all the sound-deadening work, I don't want boundaries here....

Anyone have an answer for me? And explain it please, don't simply say "yes" or "no."

Otherwise, I wouldn't want to replace that pulley really...

Thanks
Old 04-02-2002, 03:12 PM
xcivic_ex

Default Re: Underdrive crank pulley (archmage)

lemme guess you have AEM alt. pulley.. waste of money go back to stock or UR. Atleast those spin faster at idle.