Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uncomforably revvy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncomforably revvy....

Hi, I feel like a dumbass even asking this. I own a 93 Del Sol Si with a stock SOHC VTEC engine in it. It redlines up around 7k but I don't really feel comfortable getting the RPMs that high. I don't drive it like I stole it, I usually shift around 4,000 RPMs for daily around town driving but once in a while I just have to wrap it around. Never been above 6k though. I'm not even sure I've ever engaged the VTEC feature of the engine. There are around 135,000 miles on the engine and it has been very well maintained(papers to prove it), but is it safe to wrap it around that far? When will the VTEC engage anyways? Thanks in advance and please don't make TOO much fun of me, haha.

Ian
Old 01-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Uncomforably revvy.... (ianae86)

As long as your not up there all day, It's not a problem for the motor.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 PM

it wont hurt to rev it up once and awhile its good you take care of your **** but enjoy it also, as for vtec hit then quit it you'll like it!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I mean I figure if honda built a motor that redlines that high, they built it to go up there. I just didn't know with the mileage but again it has been well maintained. I mean even around 5k the thing spins second gear easy and I've felt a little loss of traction hitting third before. Thanks again guys. Getting used to VTEC haha.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ianae86)

you can go to 7200 all day every day. i loved my d16z6 when i had one. btw, you wouldnt notice if you lost vtec
Old 01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VTEC is activated at 4400 rpm on your engine, and running the **** out of it won't do any damage at all, so long as you don't overrev it and you keep the fluids where they should be. Mine has 263,000+ on it - stock engine and transmission - and she's seen her share of road courses that had her holding 6000+ rpm for upwards of an hour at a time.

Go forth and VTEC!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I had never driven a VTEC powered vehicle before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean essentially unlink non-VTEC cars, the RPMs just continue to pull hard all the way up right? I wasn't sure because I've heard some people say how they feel a hard pull or change of engine sound. Mine on the other hand just keeps pulling hard and steady. Any idea?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Put an intake on it.. short ram, cold air. . doesn't really matter but that uaually un-muffle's the v-tech sound. If you already have an intake. .. then i dunno what the deal is. But when i put an intake on my car. .. i was amazed that it sounded like a totally different car, and the v-tech made me almost wet myself.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah no sort of intake yet. I'm saving up for suspension at the moment. I'm gonna be coupling the eibach pro kit springs with my 17s. I know, I know 17s boooooo. Well I like it.....so there.....haha. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:13 PM

i don't think there is anything wrong with 17's. . i have some Enkei rs6's size 17 that i am going to be putting on my car soon. But yeah after you put an intake on it. . .you will definatly know what v-tech is. Plus your car will sound meaner.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put an intake on it.. short ram, cold air. . doesn't really matter but that uaually un-muffle's the v-tech sound. If you already have an intake. .. then i dunno what the deal is. But when i put an intake on my car. .. i was amazed that it sounded like a totally different car, and the v-tech made me almost wet myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but on single cams the VTEC crossover is not as noticeable (if it even is) as it is on a DOHC
Old 01-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CivicBlack you so made my day when I mentioned 17s and you didn't go on a hating spree, haha. I know this isn't really the place but here's a picture of my unfortunately un-lowered sol. Waiting on the stupid tax refund $$$ to get it done.

Be sure to put up some pics when you get your rims on. I'd love to check it out. And yeah, I had read that the VTEC engaging might not be as noticeable on a SOHC engine. But hopefully after suspension I'll get an intake and be able to hear and feel a difference. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never really heard any difference, or even felt a difference in my D17 when I had it with intake and exhaust. Then I went K20A2, then H22A, B18C1, and now B16A...there is a big difference. Drive in a car with DOHC VTEC and you will want a DOHC VTEC motor in your car.
Good luck with your car though! Keep us updated on all that you do with it
Old 01-20-2006, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (NoBottleJustThrottle)

Just FYI your car is going to be SLOOOOOOOOW with 17's. When I bought my hatch it came with these fugly *** 17's on it and man did they suck. I put some stock EX wheels on and it made a world of difference.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

As for your engine, soooo many people beat on that engine all day everyday, so no worries, hit VTEC 'till your heart stops.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just FYI your car is going to be SLOOOOOOOOW with 17's. When I bought my hatch it came with these fugly *** 17's on it and man did they suck. I put some stock EX wheels on and it made a world of difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, currently, with 17 inch rims your rotational mass is too large for your car, personally i think too large for any car. The larger the rim, the slower the acceleration, and the larger the braking distance.
i say 16 inch rims maximum, but its your car obviously, so expletive what i think.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will definatly know what v-tech is.</TD></TR></TABLE>
just for future reference, its VTEC : Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
im not bashing you, just letting you know. Because vtech is a phone company.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks a lot for all the posts guys. I can totally understand if you're not "feelin'" the 17s. The car came with them when I bought it and I do like the look of em', especially on lowered sols. So for now I'm prolly gonna stick with em'. But I understand what you mean about bigger wheels and rotation mass. You guys are a lot nicer then some of the guys in the appearance/cosmetic board. Yeah, all this talk about DOHC has me dying to drive something powered by one, haha. Maybe someday I'll grow tired of this little SOHC and look into a swap. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:59 AM

Just for ***** and giggles one day at the track I ran my 95 ex coupe on 17's and then on 14" steelies. It was about .6 seconds faster on steelies. Not to mention that the front end felt much more nimble and it was just easier to drive after rollin 17's for a day.

Also as far as reving I usual shift around 3k just driving but when there is some dumbass in a Cavi next to me there is no hesitation to rev up to 7,700.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:39 AM
dumped_ej1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bomanator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> there is no hesitation to rev up to 7,700.</TD></TR></TABLE> what?! do you have mods or something? id never take my z6 up that high, the most ive done is 7200!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting post Bomanator. Again, my car came with the rims, but I did find an article on Grass Roots Motorsports about the benefit of bigger rims for track times.
http://www.grmotorsports.com/n...r.php

Feel free to dismiss this as BS but I just thought it was interesting. I should emphasize, I'm not building a track car in the least, just something to shut neons and cavaliers up. One more fart can exhaust and big ol' aluminum wing and I'm gonna puke, haha.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dumped_ej1)

I wondered about that too. Mine redlines at 7200 as well. Maybe hes running DOHC?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't think there is anything wrong with 17's. . i have some Enkei rs6's size 17 that i am going to be putting on my car soon. But yeah after you put an intake on it. . .you will definatly know what v-tech is. Plus your car will sound meaner.</TD></TR></TABLE>Oh man, this is so true. I put an AEM short ram on my stock Z6 in my 93 Sol Si and once you hit VTEC the sound is just awesome. Sadly, my car is an auto for the moment (gotta get money for the tranny swap), but my friends say that if I hit VTEC next to them they can't even hear their music =P

Look for a normal revving sound until around 4400. Once you get there it will smooth out and you will seem to get a bit of a jump. At least on my car

By the way, you can go up to and maybe beyond 7,700 rpms, but I wouldn't suggest doing it too often.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (imm0rt41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imm0rt41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By the way, you can go up to and maybe beyond 7,700 rpms, but I wouldn't suggest doing it too often.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you can't. A.) the stock rev limiter/fuel cut keeps you from doing so, B.) the OEM valvetrain is not strong enough to completely close the valves at those kinds of speeds and C.) your cam stops making power at about 6500rpm, so why rev it higher when you're doing nothing but slowing yourself down and damaging your engine.

People who think revving the D16Z6 engine - in its stock configuration - past about 7000rpm are ******* retarded.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Vtec sounds alot louder after exhaust/intake, This is due to the more air that Vtec adds to the whole combustion process.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: (1dayCivic)

yeah im going to put 17's on my car mostly just because i think it's gonna look good. .. currently my driver's license has been suspended for 6 months because of my speeding habits so as far as speed goes im not really gonna be into going real fast any more lol. . . .it sucks so bad not being able to drive right now and i don't get my license back until may. So im not putting the 17's on my car for performance, just for looks. Sorry about not spelling VTEC correctly. .. i don't really care about my spelling of stuff too much i was just trying to help out. But when my 96 ex was completely stock i couldn't even hear the VTEC at all, then after i put an intake on it, i could definatly hear it.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No you can't. A.) the stock rev limiter/fuel cut keeps you from doing so, B.) the OEM valvetrain is not strong enough to completely close the valves at those kinds of speeds and C.) your cam stops making power at about 6500rpm, so why rev it higher when you're doing nothing but slowing yourself down and damaging your engine.

People who think revving the D16Z6 engine - in its stock configuration - past about 7000rpm are ******* retarded.</TD></TR></TABLE>Notice how I said it was possible, as in you can mod it to allow that kind of revving, though I wasn't very clear on that part, so I apologize. I know very well that my car stops making power around 6.5k, you know, since I drive it everyday.

Quick Reply: Uncomforably revvy....