Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

unanswered swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unanswered swap question

so ive searched and found nothing on this subject.

swapping a bone stock usdm gsr (obd1) motor into a obd2a car....the easy way out is to use a obd2a vtec wire harness....now heres the question, regarding the gsrs butterflies on the Intake mani, is there any wiring involved? or are the butterflies only vacuum controlled?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: unanswered swap question (90Rexx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90Rexx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so ive searched and found nothing on this subject.

swapping a bone stock usdm gsr (obd1) motor into a obd2a car....the easy way out is to use a obd2a vtec wire harness....now heres the question, regarding the gsrs butterflies on the Intake mani, is there any wiring involved? or are the butterflies only vacuum controlled?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ecu controlled.

leave the wriing alone to leave them open all the time
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: unanswered swap question (i drive a honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ecu controlled.

leave the wriing alone to leave them open all the time </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I mean because Honda's engineers didn't know what they were doing when they engineered the butterflies to open up at 6000-6200rpm, and remain closed otherwise.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90Rexx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so ive searched and found nothing on this subject.

swapping a bone stock usdm gsr (obd1) motor into a obd2a car....the easy way out is to use a obd2a vtec wire harness....now heres the question, regarding the gsrs butterflies on the Intake mani, is there any wiring involved? or are the butterflies only vacuum controlled?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How long did you search, because there are a ton of topics about OBD1 engine into OBD2 car. I just posted a ton of info in one that's probably still on one of the first few pages in this 92-00 Civic forum.

1. You must use the Civic engine harness as it is a one piece design that goes all the way through the firewall and into the ECU itself. The Integras all had a two piece engine harness that stopped at the shock towers.

If you think the butteflies are you biggest concern then you might not realize there's a lot of extra parts swappin and wiring involved than just that.

The OBD1 GS-R engine will have different plugs on:

A. Distributor - swap for OBD2 96-01 Integra GS-R/ITR, 96-97 Del Sol VTEC, or 99-00 Civic Si

B. Injectors - retain stock Civic ones, rewire the plugs and use the OBD1 Integra ones, or find OBD2 B series injectors

C. Alternator - remove the case covering for the stock D alternator and the B18C alternator and swap out the voltage regulator where the engine harness plugs into it, or buy an OBD2 B alternator

D. OBD1 engine lacks a CKF sensor and if the car needs to be OBD2 to pass emissions you'll have to do a wiring trick to keep from throwing a check engine code:

Click Here and Floow OBD2S Instructions

E. IACV valve (Idle air control valve) is likely going to have a different plug than the OBD2 Civic

F. Knock sensor

The B18C1 uses one; the Civic isn't wired for one

If it does then Click Here and Find IACV Wiring Instructions

Also is this car an EX model, or a CX/DX/LX? If it's one of the non-EX models then you will also have a lot of fun when you realize that the oxygen sensor locations are in a completely different spot. This requires extending the wires for both sensors.

Basically this is a start for you. Click that link I provided for the IACV instructions and it will also give you detailed diagrams and pin-outs for different OBD generatons as they apply to swaps.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: unanswered swap question (B18C5-EH2)

lol...actually im aware of all this, and im using a 96-98 ex harness to bypass most of the wiring bullshit, my concern was said harness has no wiring for butterflies...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Default Re: unanswered swap question (90Rexx)

i zip tied mine to stay open all the time to bypass all the wiring, works for me.