Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure.

I was trying to track down the source of an annoying ticking noise I was getting,, so while I was re-adjusting my valves, adjusting my timing belt and checking everything in general, heres what I found when I pulled the heat shield off the exhaust manifold:

Uh oh. This isn't the cause of the noise, but I'm sure it can't be good. Is it worth it to slap some JB weld on there until I buy a header that will work on my DX? I'll need to get one with two o2 bungs and then buys an EX mid section and cat that will bolt up to my axleback.

I did fix the tapping though...I think it was that teh timing belt was too loose. Tightened it up a tad and it purrs like a kitten now.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (undertheradar)

JB Weld should hold up for a good while. All depends on temp really. I would get it welded if i was you though.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (Luserkid)

Well, I gotta get my smog done this week, but after that I'll probably order an ebay header for 100 bucks and then source an Ex mid section. I think I'll JB weld it, throw the heat shield back on and smog it. Car runs perfectly otherwise, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (undertheradar)

i know since you live in cali you probably have to have a cat right? you know you can just bolt a y8 dc sports header right up, right? that's what i did until i built my exhaust. and that second o2 sensor doesn't even need to be in the exhaust stream, i just zip tied mine to a hose. runs fine, no codes. actually ran really good after getting rid of that f'ing bottleneck manifold. damn things.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 PM

YiKES!! good old JB
Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does the ticking noise sound like? I think I'm having the same problem with my B16. So afraid it might be the valves and timing.

Please let me know if you fixed the noise.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (handa)

I did fix the noise. I think it was the timing belt that was either too tight or rwo loose and it was hitting the upper cover. I removed the upper cover and adjusted the belt and the noise was gone.

As far as the cat question... yes, I need to keep the cat on the car, so I know any d-series header will work, I just need to get ahold of an Ex or Si midsection. I already have an axle back exhaust that I love, but that will bolt up to any above mebtioned exhaust pipes.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
jok

Hmmmm.... Odd circumstance I just got back from my emissions class at college and my teacher discussed this, about the cracked exhaust manifold and how a cracked one will screw up the o2 sensor and wont past smog. He said it is things like that that can confuse people, so I hope you can pass smog even with JB weld on. Good luck, if it doesn't pass I bet that would be the reason.

P.S. I'm not going to explain the reason why it messess with the smog, i will say that my teacher(Who has a masters in automotive) said that cars with a cracked exhaust manifold wont pass smog.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:58 AM

Very common with this type of manifold, happened to me last winter. JB weld held on for about 10 minutes! However I hear Honda has an extended emissions warranty on these that will replace the entire exhaust mani.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Blue Sedan Crew

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (civic-4-ges)

just take it to a shop and have them weld it for the time being, or just find a new one from a junk yard or something.....
Old 10-07-2004, 04:24 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not normal but fixable.... Or it's time for a real header
Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (ki3t)

It is NORMAL for that manifold (incl. cat conv.) to break... almost 80% of those manifolds crack from O2 sensor...

Honda replaces the cracked manifold regardless the mileage and the age of the car... at least in Europe!!!

And YES... it ***** up the O2 sensor if you frive like that...

I drove ike that for 3-4 months (not knowing)... there was a slight "whistle" when I pushed the gas pedal but I never thought it was the manifold... until I removed the shield...

I replaced the manifold but did not replace the sensor...

2000 miles later I get a CEL with a O2 sensor code... after inspection, O2 sensor is found STONE COLD DEAD...
Old 10-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (KKVTi)

A crack in the manifold does not **** up an O2. What a crack will do is cause the O2 sensor to read lean because this crack is sucking in the outside air thus causing the ECU to richen up the mix to compensate for what it thinks is a lean condition. An overly rich mixture can cause the O2 to become fouled out in short order.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A crack in the manifold does not **** up an O2</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, I went through a cracked manifold, heated the thing up and had to practically break the o2 sensor out of it. Sensor still works great afterwards!!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (EE_Chris)

Mine did the same. That crack isn't **** compared to mine, I think mine is almost split in half. The local Honda dealer wanted $400 to replace it. I do not think that you will be successful welding it. Get a header. If you keep driving it with that crack or if you try to fix it and it cracks again, the car is going to run rich and foul up everything.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (GChambers)

Plus if you have any intention of modifying your car, the exhaust and intake manifolds on the y7 have to go!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine just cracked like that about a month ago. Honda replaced it for free under an extended wrty. It's a pretty common issue on the Y7's. My car is a '99 and they said it was covered up to 80,000 miles. So now I have a new mani and cat for free! Call the local dealer and give them your VIN they should be able to look it up and tell you if it's under wrty.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (civic-4-ges)

I'll probably pick this header up for now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33631

Since it has the two o2 sensor bungs in it. I still need to source a used ex mid-section.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

help me out here, if you have both o2 sensors in stream and no cat before the secondary, won't that cause a rather large enleanment? maybe i'm wrong but i think that's the theory behind the secondary, or maybe it will just post a code because the cat's not doing it's job. c'mon, help me out here
Old 10-07-2004, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (sleepyEK)

Well, because the Y7 has it's first 02 sensor before the cat (which is a part of the manifold, I need a header with one o2 sensor up top. Then, i'll get an y8 mid sectionb which will have the cat in the normal spot, as well as a bung on the cat . The second hole on the header above wold get plugged.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Would it be okay to run a regular say DC header for the Y8 and tie the first o2 sensor out of the way?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:11 AM
foz

I've been rolling my y7 with a dcsports d series header, with no cat, botled right up to the existing exhaust, and the secondary O2 has just been zipped to another harness with no problems, I even went as far as to add an O2 simulator (couldn't tell any difference)

runs fine.....
Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.. there was a slight "whistle" when I pushed the gas pedal but I never thought it was the manifold... until I removed the shield...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks....that's been buggin me, haven't changed the manifold.......
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had that happen to my dx and you could hear the valves, I thought that was something wrong with my engine. 98ctr
Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure. (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine just cracked like that about a month ago. Honda replaced it for free under an extended wrty. It's a pretty common issue on the Y7's. My car is a '99 and they said it was covered up to 80,000 miles. So now I have a new mani and cat for free! Call the local dealer and give them your VIN they should be able to look it up and tell you if it's under wrty. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do this, he is correct it should be covered as a emission warranty
Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: (98ctr)

You could hear the valves, or hear exhaust pulses?

Quick Reply: Ummmm...is this supposed to be like this? Pics for your pleasure.