Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The Ultimate Rear End How To for EGs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate Rear End How To for EGs

First of all:

<U>If you don't have anything positive to say either don't say it or PM it to the person it's directed too!!!! </U>

This will cover almost everything on an EG(92-95) civic as far as the rear end is concerned. I will be doing a rear disc conversion, intalling ES bushings on GSR LCAs,installing the LCAs, installing new brake lines, new rotors and new pads then within the next couple of days or so a beaks subframe reinforcement kit and a blox 21mm rear swaybar. This will take me a total of 3-5 days to complete because I will be taking my time and doing almost all of it myself. I'll take thorough pics of each task so this will be one big *** thread soon. I'll have pics of the pads/lines/rotors by tommorrow morning. I'll also list all the tools needed as well how long it took me to complete(something I didn't find in any of the threads I looked through)

For know here's some teaser pics:

(slotted & drilled rotors)

(new ss lines wrapped in a some kind of polymer type plastic...Tom just got these in the other day)

(the rear disc conversion)

(Blox rear swaybar, beaks reinforcement kit & ES upgraded bushings)

(GSR LCAs, and ES bushings)
-I chose the GSR LCAs over the cheaper aftermarket LCAs (such as megan & omni) due to some of them (especially the 1st versions of the omnis) having severe problems. Plus replacement buschings are cheap and easily attainable. The only down side is if you can't get the stock bushing out yourself you will need to go to a shop to get it pressed out(which is whatI'll be getting done tommorrow)

A very special thanks to my dad (for loaning me the money, because I'm true to my username right now ), to my mom(for letting me use her car while mine's out of commission) and Tom & the rest of the crew of Camp1320(for having almost every part I need in stock and at great prices).

Modified by broketuner-egb16a at 5:14 PM 5/13/2006

Modified by broketuner-egb16a at 11:07 PM 5/13/2006
Old 05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't use ES bushings! Use OEM or spherical!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IGGY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IGGY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't use ES bushings! Use OEM or spherical!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That really only effects the trailing arm bushing.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Rear End How To for EGs (broketuner-egb16a)

kwel cuz when i get home ill be doing the same thing lol.. gl on it
Old 05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-egb16a)

No they affect both. Hook your self up with some of these (It's what I got):

SRR with spherical bushings
Old 05-13-2006, 04:09 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-egb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That really only effects the trailing arm bushing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, that's not true, because all of the suspension arms move on multiple axes.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure those look great but, how harsh is the ride going to be and how much is that? My car is a DD street car and occasional road race car. I know the srr arms with the urethane bushings are close to 200, I can't imagine how much they are with the spherical bearings. They are something I'd like to have but severly out of my budget. thanks for the suggetion though
Old 05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually, that's not true, because all of the suspension arms move on multiple axes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, can we please drop that I'm using ES bushings. thanks for the info though, I'll know for next time, if I find that ride characteristics are adversly affected I will replace them with OEM bushings but many people have said these are fine.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:24 PM
be professional

If you're not willing to at least hear some input (regardless of whether you accept it or not), then why did you post in the first place?

At least we're discussing some tech in this otherwise non-tech thread that doesn't really belong in this forum.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

How is it not tech related???? I'll have pics and instructions of how to do it once each thing is done. It's for an EG, is it my imagination or are the years '92-'95 included in '92-'00? As I stated in my original post here it is a work in progress and will be put together piece by piece. I'm more than willing to here any input but things like LCAs with spherical bearings are out of most people's budget, my whole goal of this thread is to simply inform people of fairly easy things they can do themselves that are in a normal budget.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Ultimate Rear End How To for EGs (broketuner-egb16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-egb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><U>If you don't have anything positive to say either don't say it or PM it to the person it's directed too!!!! </U></TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is something postive info on some bushings:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1563815

The same thing will happen in the rear. Just giving you some advice that may save you some trouble, and additional expense, down the road.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Ultimate Rear End How To for EGs (IGGY)

thank you for the input, but I already have them and intend to use them. If they wear out too quickly I'll replace them with oem
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's cool, but if others can have this info before they buy, they won't be in the same situation right?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, he heard your input and he disagrees. What's wrong with that? The suggestions so far leave much to be desired. Get some overpriced, blingy LCAs that throw off your suspension geometry?! Use spherical bearings on a street car?!!

Urethane bushings deflect in all axis just fine. They deflect less than rubber... good! That's the point. Your car isn't going to blow up, I promise. It's not going to suddenly let go in a corner. Cut this guy some slack.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:42 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-egb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is it not tech related???? I'll have pics and instructions of how to do it once each thing is done. It's for an EG, is it my imagination or are the years '92-'95 included in '92-'00? As I stated in my original post here it is a work in progress and will be put together piece by piece. I'm more than willing to here any input but things like LCAs with spherical bearings are out of most people's budget, my whole goal of this thread is to simply inform people of fairly easy things they can do themselves that are in a normal budget. </TD></TR></TABLE>
You pretty much posted a thread saying, "Hey, mommy and daddy bought me a bunch of parts, and I'm going to install them. If you don't want to hang on my nuts, don't post!"

I don't see any tool lists, parts lists, instructions, diagrams, etc. Why not wait to post about it until you actually do it?

I appreciate your efforts and all, but . . . really . . . where's the tech?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IGGY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's cool, but if others can have this info before they buy, they won't be in the same situation right?</TD></TR></TABLE>
very true. But, I don't see myself in any "situation" primarily because ES (and most other aftermarket poly bushings) are extremely easy to replace and farily cheap.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, he heard your input and he disagrees. What's wrong with that? The suggestions so far leave much to be desired. Get some overpriced, blingy LCAs that throw off your suspension geometry?! Use spherical bearings on a street car?!!

Urethane bushings deflect in all axis just fine. They deflect less than rubber... good! That's the point. Your car isn't going to blow up, I promise. It's not going to suddenly let go in a corner. Cut this guy some slack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please read. I said use spherical or OEM. If spherical is too much then buy OEM simple as that.

Urethane bushings do not deflect in all axis, which is why they deform over time. Tell me what where you get your info on poly bushings. Let's keep this Tech and not hear -say.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll give you a hand. I haven't installed my SRR's, so I'll do it now and make a write up so there's tech.

I'll see you in a couple hours. Peace!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright DUDE,

Here's the write up on installing the SRR's, maybe it can help you out

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1627094

This is tech
Old 05-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, didn't know there was a specific order to the bolts. I'm about 1/2 way done withthe rotors/pads(first time I've ever done my own brakes).
Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have measured the toe change with travel comparing the stock LCA to the shorter aftermarket LCA. Then you could have more cautionary fuel for your posting pleasure. Also let us know how long those bearings last.

And if those particular brand LCAs are the same length as stock: nevermind.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should have measured the toe change with travel comparing the stock LCA to the shorter aftermarket LCA. Then you could have more cautionary fuel for your posting pleasure. Also let us know how long those bearings last.

And if those particular brand LCAs are the same length as stock: nevermind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you meant to post that in the other guys thread. Anyways, bump for the first batch of teaser pics. I'll get the write up and pics of the rotor/pad/line install all tommorrow.