Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :(

Hey guys, hope someone here can help me. so i start my car, and its runnin fine, and i let it warm up, and tap the throttle a little bit, and it idles down, and i get drivin down the street, and let off the gas to come to a stop at a stop sign, and my car about dies, my lights get dim, and my blower motor slows down emensly(i dont even know what that word meens, but it sounded good rite there), so i kinda just put my foot on the gas a little bit thinkin hey, its nuthin big its a one time thing, but next time, i pull up to a stop light, and my car DIES! so i take it home that night, and idle it up, and it helps it for a day or 2 and then starts doing the same thing..... and it all started after i put my keyless entry on it.... and it grounded out a wire and blew a fuse to my stereo(so now my stereo doesnt work either).... and i cant figure out why my stereo doesnt work, my car almost dies, and oh yea, the clock.... doesnt hold the time, it restarts at 1:00 everytime i start my car up..... so if someone knows what is going on with my car, it would be GREATLY appreciated, since im planning on taking a journey to get some new wheels this wkend about 4 hrs away! thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (stockcivic103)

altinator(sp).....i think....somebody help my man out
Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (sikciv666)

i was wanting to think my alternator also, but i ran a check on that bad boy and its still good, so i came to the conclusion of my battery maybe??? anyone confirm this for me?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (sikciv666)

99.9% sure its the alternator. have had tons of friends have the same kind of problems with hondas, chevy's, etc...all ended up with alternator.

also for kicks check wires, plugs, etc
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can disconnect your battery from a running car and it'll still work

what kind of testing did you do to the alternator to see if it was still good?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lil piece of advice you may find handy...

charge the car and let it sit over night. If it doesnt start up in the morning then its a battery issue. If it starts, drives fine and then dies then its most likely an alternator issue since that would show that your battery can hold a charge but that it isnt being charged by the alternator.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (ADVAN EG2)

Check all your fuses in the fuse box and the one behind your stereo. Sounds like your forgot to connect forgot to connect a wire somewhere after the install of your keyless entry and its draining your battery. Also could be a bad/loose ground on the battery thats not allowing it to charge.

As far as the time not saving on your stereo...did you install it recently or was the clock feature lost when you grounded out that wire?

If its new and doesn't save time you probably dont have the constant power connected or its connected to switched power.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (amej8)

the test i i did on my alternator is as follows:

Hooked up a handy volt meter my dad has, and started my car with the volt meter on 12 volts, and the voltmeter was reading 14 volts which, to my recognition, and learning of last yr in school, is a good alternator....

And my car starts fine ever day, unless its cold, then it seems to struggle, but it still starts. i still think its my battery.... but i may be wrong with my test, so help me

thanks for the input already guys
Old 01-09-2006, 08:33 PM

my constant power doesnt have ANY power though, and ive checked all my fuses in my fuse block under the dash.... and this all happened after the constant ground grounded out on the stereo mount.... so did i blow sumthin that i can fix, or is it un fixable? if you dont understand.... ill explain better if you need me too
Old 01-09-2006, 08:33 PM

maybe its not getting the amperage it needs
Old 01-09-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (derekhh)

that is another thing that i was thinking, i might need a high output alternator to run all my accessories(IE: stereo, keyless, entry, subs) but that wouldnt make my all time power not work..... is there a fuse for all time power that i dont know about thats not under the dash?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 PM

BUMP, i need to figure out if theres a hidden fuse somewhere, cuz my 4 hour rides gonna be boring without a stereo!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IPOD!! haha jk. for your stereo there should be a fuse on the back of it, check that too and replace if needed. I'm guessing it cuold be both alternator and battery. Take it to pep boys or kragens, auto zone or whatever car parts store that test batterys and alternators. these places should do them for free usually. and if thats not it then i dunno. and as far as your system goes. if you think your pullin too much power then you might wanna put a Cap too help that. Goodluck!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (manueliscool)

this problem has nothing to do with the stereo fuse guys, the stereo wasnt even in the car when this happened..... thanks for the help, but i just cant seem to figure this out, and its pi$$n me off, ive gone since x-mas eve without a radio.... so i gotta giet this bull crap figured out
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM

yupz . . thats actually your alternator . . when ur alternator dies out, it then depends and runs on your battery till that dies out . . and <U>lights-off</U> . . my suggestion is also to jump-start/re - charge your battery also when chaning your alternator . .
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 PM

I GOT IT!!! its all fixed now, it was just a simple blown fuse in a place i never would have began to think.... UNDER THE HOOD!!!.... but thanks to all who have replied!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same **** happens to me in my 92 civic. once in a while the car battery is going to die. it happens out of no where, and after a while it runs fine. but most of the time it happens my speedo dies. today my stereo died too, gay. so far i cleaned upo my grounds with gunk and a small grinder and it seems to be working okay so far.

which fuse was it?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (blue_hatch)

i thoght it was the alternator at first too, and replaced it but the same **** happen again. its not the alternator or brattery.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 PM

under the hood in that fuse box...... its a regular fuse... the spade type you know... and its the second from the left, it it a 7.5amp fuse, and just pull it out, and pop the new one in, and BAM your set!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha that actually worked all this frustration over that fuse. i didnt think it was that because my fuse tester tested it fine. thats something to remember if it ever happens again. thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Check your body/chassis ground, I had a simliar situation....even to the point my car wouldn't start no more....
Old 01-10-2006, 07:37 PM

how are all the belts on you car? i had on fly off and then my bat light came on. then eventually my car died
Old 01-10-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (tallyturbo)

my belts are new..... and glad i could help ya out on the fuse problem man..... havent had my car too long, and i can help someone on a honda forum!!! YAY ME!

my car will be ridin on 17's next wk
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockcivic103 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car will be ridin on 17's next wk</TD></TR></TABLE>Not sure I would've posted that.

-Red
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :( (-Red-)

my guess is that you an electrical draw some where in the system probaly something your installers did. if your altenator is putting out 14volts its good. you some wire or connection that is pulling jucie from you battery and killing it i would take it back to them and have them try to fix it.

Quick Reply: UH OH FOR THE HONDA!!! :(