Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re

okay so i blew both my brakelines going to the rear drums. hooray, 45 minute walk to work. now im going to replace them with bulk line which i will use to bend in place and replace the broken lines. i need to know a few specs:
what diameter line should i buy?
what kind of fittings do i need?
any special material it should be made of?

i've yet to jack up my car and crawl under to take a look but i'd also like to know, i've heard that the lines in the back actually run between the gas tank and the chassis at a certain point...will i have to drop my tank? cant i go around? also, my brother has a DA teg and he says his lines run inside the car, is that true? thnaks

SRH
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

up, i need this for tomorrow...so i can start fixing my POS
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

im pretti sure all the brake lines go down the drivers side of the car, with the gas line
you cant miss them
and yes i beleive one of the brake lines gets really close to the gas tank if not over it by the chassis. you might need to drop the tank but i would jus try to pull it out without dropping the tank and if you absolutley cant do it, just leave it in and try to find some other safe place to run your brake line, but if your not comfortable with that than by all means drop your gas tank.
and for the sizes, i just took mine off and walked into the autozone by my house and took a look at what they had and bought the one i needed
its really not that hard to do, just dont kink the lines while you bend them.
and im not too sure on brake lines, but on the gas lines you needed to double flare them (there is a special tool for this, autozone rents them, you give htem a 20 dollar or so deposit and you get all your money back when you return it), but when you do flare it i suggest heating up the ends a little before you do it. it makes it a little less of a pain in the butt to do.
but honestly, its not a hard job. just take your time and do it right.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re (egcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretti sure all the brake lines go down the drivers side of the car, with the gas line
you cant miss them
and yes i beleive one of the brake lines gets really close to the gas tank if not over it by the chassis. you might need to drop the tank but i would jus try to pull it out without dropping the tank and if you absolutley cant do it, just leave it in and try to find some other safe place to run your brake line, but if your not comfortable with that than by all means drop your gas tank.
and for the sizes, i just took mine off and walked into the autozone by my house and took a look at what they had and bought the one i needed
its really not that hard to do, just dont kink the lines while you bend them.
and im not too sure on brake lines, but on the gas lines you needed to double flare them (there is a special tool for this, autozone rents them, you give htem a 20 dollar or so deposit and you get all your money back when you return it), but when you do flare it i suggest heating up the ends a little before you do it. it makes it a little less of a pain in the butt to do.
but honestly, its not a hard job. just take your time and do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no choice in doing it right, its either give the stealership an arm and a leg to do it, or let some cocky intern at a corner garage do it, which i dont trust for something as vital as a braking system. i have a few days off of work, thank god and will be taking my time. its just really a pain to be honnest, i have to run both lines going to the back and if my bleeder doesnt open or breaks, im heading to montreal to get big teg brakes. might as well. but anyway i need to know the size and which flare ends to get
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a few feet of brake line of the correct size, some compression fittings, a cheap brake line cutter and bender. You can fix that line in 20 minutes.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UGH, blew 2 brake lines, i need the specs for a re/re (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a few feet of brake line of the correct size, some compression fittings, a cheap brake line cutter and bender. You can fix that line in 20 minutes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how long do i need? (im doing both lines going to the drums) what is the correct size, i went through the shop manual and they are assuming i have the oem part
Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up