Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec

Old 02-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec

ok heres my ? say u have a 92 civic and your ls vtec consist of a 94 ls block and a 91 b16a head. now do they allow u to have a older head on the block or an older head ten what the car is
Old 02-18-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec (streetdreams02)

they look at the head to find out what year the motor is because you cant have a motor in your car that is older than the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec (AllMtrADVAN)

head swaps are illegal period. If you dropped in a fulll b16 swap, it wouldnt be ok becasue the car is a 92 and the motor is a 91. so to what the other guy said.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec (projectEK9)

see there was a web site that i saw a while back about a guy who got is ls vtec refed and got a bar sticker for it. and i was wondering on how did he do it
Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if that guy got it to pass he probably passed it off as another motor. eitherway, the older head is not going to pass.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 PM

I wanna know too! Maybe he knows a state ref?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec (projectEK9)

heres the seach for it the actual page is not working right nowhttp://msxml.excite.com/info.x...%253A
Old 02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

having a different kind of head on an LS block is illegal period. the head can be swapped but it has to be the same type of head, i.e. LS head on LS block. I really dont think it matters if the head is older than the block, since they probably dont check.

As for the guy that smogged the LS/vtec, maybe he smogged it with the LS head on, then swapped the head afterwards??
Old 02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn. 97 gsr head on 91 ls block here. i was hoping to have it ref'ed....guess not.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

no you wont pass visual. when i went to the ref to get my certificate, we had a little chat about people trying to pass ls/vtecs and how he sends them home right away.

although, you can smog a stock ls motor, once you get the certificate, drop the vtec head
Old 02-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

at the place i went to of off power inn in sacramento. the guy said that there is no real way to tell what year the motor is. now i know that we all beg to deffer. but **** this guy passed me with out nowing the year of the motor but in my case it had to be newer then my car 93 hatch with a b18b b18b's were first produced in 94. but my comptech intake was from a 99 civic Si which is a b16a2. never said a word about it. but techniclly speaking you shouldn't be able to pass.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

where in sac did you get your car reffed at? is there website where I can check to see where you can get your car reffed in certain areas? thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (B16Drag)

to get an lsvtec passed, you must put the ls block in and get it reffed, then put the b16/gsr head on after you pass
Old 02-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AllMtrADVAN)

well i'm going to callout u cali experts to do a how to get your car to pass the ref. basically allthe do's and don't. for the major swaps like gsrs type rs and hell b16 since people are getting jdm motors to pass.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec (AllMtrADVAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMtrADVAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they look at the head to find out what year the motor is because you cant have a motor in your car that is older than the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
and plus too from what u are saying right here then it does not mater what yr the block is as long as the head is the same yr or newer than the car
Old 02-19-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (AllMtrADVAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMtrADVAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to get an lsvtec passed, you must put the ls block in and get it reffed, then put the b16/gsr head on after you pass</TD></TR></TABLE>
I actually was thinking about that. but would there be any problems when swapping the heads back n forth?
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I actually was thinking about that. but would there be any problems when swapping the heads back n forth? </TD></TR></TABLE>
**** that say u do ref the ls first then put the vtec head on. then get ur hood popped, u still going to have to go see the ref again because the valve cover says vtec. unless u get a dumb *** cop then what. has anyone had this happen after getting there car bar'ed with any swap whether it was a ls or a completely ref gsr. can a cop send u to the ref even after u have gotten your sticker
Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: (streetdreams02)

umm anybody correct me if im wrong, can you use a LS valve cover on a vtec head? I remember someone telling me or seeing somebody with a LS valve cover on a vtec head to make it look like a sleeper/ cop inspections
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM

my friend got his ls vtec reffed last year...dint pass so he put back the ls head...and it passed visual and all tat oter stuff they do...he then put his b16 head bak on...if tat hlelps..
Old 02-19-2004, 03:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I actually was thinking about that. but would there be any problems when swapping the heads back n forth? </TD></TR></TABLE>
There would if you had to get it reffed again, but cops would not know. They would look at the block.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetdreams02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i'm going to callout u cali experts to do a how to get your car to pass the ref. basically allthe do's and don't. for the major swaps like gsrs type rs and hell b16 since people are getting jdm motors to pass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i did a jdm b16 in a ef hatch, and got it reffed. Basically do the swap, find a OBD1 pr3 (which was the most difficult to do IMO), convert all wiring from engine to ecu to OBD1 spec (and i don't mean use a jumper harness; we hard wired it), make sure all tune up parts are brand new, everything basically stock (we had trust exhaust, but it still passed sniff), and ur set to go!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (JDMB16ACRX)

I was refering to problems with the engine setup itself.....not problems with the ref.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason why i am asking these ? is that the cops out here in san diego aren't that stupid. hell they have task forces for this **** now around here. and my main ? is if you already went an seen the ref and got your bar sticker can a cop send u back to the ref again for the same ****. for example when u get ref'ed your all stock but say later on u put a aem intake on and thats not listed on your bar sticker can they send u too the ref for that now
Old 02-19-2004, 05:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetdreams02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason why i am asking these ? is that the cops out here in san diego aren't that stupid. hell they have task forces for this **** now around here. and my main ? is if you already went an seen the ref and got your bar sticker can a cop send u back to the ref again for the same ****. for example when u get ref'ed your all stock but say later on u put a aem intake on and thats not listed on your bar sticker can they send u too the ref for that now</TD></TR></TABLE>

darn cops ...yeah I heard about that taskforce just for imports so they know what they see and what doesnt belong on your motor. Ah well, good luck, this thread seems like its really going nowhere now
Old 02-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone freaken tell me where the ref places are at... shiet it'd be nice to know where to get ur car ref...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: for u cali peeps has anyone ever refed an ls\vtec