Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Type R shift knob question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R shift **** question???

I need a new shift **** and I am planning on getting the Type R style shift ****.

I know the nut on the right of the ****(see picture) is used to keep the numbers alligned with the gears but I was wondering if it goes under or over the black thing on the shift boot? (left of nut)

In the picture what is that long black thing? What is the zip tie used for? Where do I put it?

All thoughts welcome.
TIA
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Type R shift **** question??? (dawrenn)

i dont know what the long black thing is but the zip tie is to holdup the shift boot.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in this order

put nut on shifter, then put the shift **** on then screw down the **** as far down as you can align the numbers then screw up the nut.

the plastic shift collar (in the middle) goes below the nut and is wrapped on the shift boot. the zip tie is for the collar to keep it on the shift boot. oem uses a rubberband . and not sure what that other part is to the left .
Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Type R shift **** question??? (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in this order

put nut on shifter, then put the shift **** on then screw down the **** as far down as you can align the numbers then screw up the nut.

the plastic shift collar (in the middle) goes below the nut and is wrapped on the shift boot. the zip tie is for the collar to keep it on the shift boot. oem uses a rubberband . and not sure what that other part is to the left .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just recieved my OE Red stiched shift boot which has the collar. Is there anything I can do so there will be no gap between the shift collar and the shift ****? That is why I asked if the nut went under or over the collar, I thought it was meant to make no gap between the collar and the ****? I remember someone said they just put electrical tape on the shifter and that worked.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:47 PM

I think I wrapped tape around my shifter assembly on the inside. Its nice and snug.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Type R shift **** question??? (sxecrow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sxecrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I wrapped tape around my shifter assembly on the inside. Its nice and snug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I will jsut do that.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the nut go's under the shift boot thats how it stays nice and tight and cx shoe is right as well
Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just recieved my OE Red stiched shift boot which has the collar. Is there anything I can do so there will be no gap between the shift collar and the shift ****? That is why I asked if the nut went under or over the collar, I thought it was meant to make no gap between the collar and the ****? I remember someone said they just put electrical tape on the shifter and that worked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i found the perfect thing for this! if you have ever owned a skateboard, or know anyone who does, take the trucks apart and get the top bushing. simply put it on your shift lever before you put on your shift boot. fits perfect, clean and hidden, easy to remove, and cheap(if you have some old skateboard junk).
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Type R shift **** question??? (eg6r4eva)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6r4eva &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the nut go's under the shift boot thats how it stays nice and tight and cx shoe is right as well </TD></TR></TABLE>

How are you and him right? He did not say the nut goes under the shift boot.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How are you and him right? He did not say the nut goes under the shift boot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the nut were under the shift boot, it seems like it would be a total bitch to adjust. my knock-off typeR **** came with only a nut. my set up: skateboard bushing, oem boot, nut, ****. thats all you need!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6r4eva &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the nut go's under the shift boot thats how it stays nice and tight and cx shoe is right as well </TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

lets not put wrong information on the board unless you are positively sure what you are talking about. the nut doesnt go under anythig except the shift ****.. you cant even get the damn nut that far down anyway....

the collar on the shift boot was ment for the oem shift ***** that had a clip . like on the 97 usdm type r red stitched shift ****, and the prelude optional shift **** and the si model i think the 02 or 03 ... and this clipped on the boot collar and kept it nice and tight. if you are using the jdm titanium or the usdm 98+ type r shift **** that collar will hang loose.

i personally think theres more things to worry about than the boot hanging loose.. besides when your driving around its really doesnt matter... but thats just me..
Old 05-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also on the jdm versions they did sell a rubber gromet that went through the collar and hanged up just above the collar and kept the boot up. ive asked my cousin for the part number and he can not get it either. so just let it hang.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also on the jdm versions they did sell a rubber gromet that went through the collar and hanged up just above the collar and kept the boot up. ive asked my cousin for the part number and he can not get it either. so just let it hang.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That other part to the left could be the rubber grommet you are talking about.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks like some sort of clip with a metal insert...but who know??
Old 05-16-2005, 04:23 PM

get the skunk 2 weighted ****! I have one in my Si and all it came with was the little nut, but I didn't even use it and the numbers are aligned perfectly and it's on nice and snug..!! best shift know evarr!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Electrician

You can use a regular rubber band to hold up the shift boot. Remove the console. Get a think rubber band and makes lots of loops on the shifter around and around. Roll it up to where ever you want on the shifter. Place console back and the boot will stay tight against the shift ****. What I did. Works like a charm.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i was wrong don't get all ****. i put mine on a while ago give people a break
Old 05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk 2 ****
also, i have a short shifter (hurst) and even now, if the boot was up the whole way it would pull and interfere with the shifting a little bit.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
YCT

thats just sexy...but i love my spoon **** more
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 PM

mines just loose
Old 05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t0ekn3e)

a few layers of electrical tape around the shifter under the boot will also hold it snug to the shift ****