Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter

My 04 Civic Hybrid comes with the cigarette lighter in the console only "hot" when the key is in the "On" position or when the car is running. I need that cigarette lighter on at all times so that I can charge my cell phone when the car is off. My question is, can it be "turned on" when the car is "off" via the computer that they have at dealerships OR does it have to be hardwired.

Second question is that I was wondering if it is dangerous or hurts my car if I put the car in nuetral while going down a hill to save on gas OR does that even save on gas?

As you can tell, I'm a pretty ignorant car owner so please be nice....

Toby
Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter (Tobias76)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tobias76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Second question is that I was wondering if it is dangerous or hurts my car if I put the car in nuetral while going down a hill to save on gas OR does that even save on gas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how would it not save gas if you are not giving it any?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter (CivicEX96)

No harm and yes it saves gas.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter (Tobias76)

LOL it will save gas if your rolling for a really long time , but if theres not much hills where you live and is pretty much flat then its a waste of time and effor. Also its illegal to do that anways cuz you have a slower time to react if something happened.

What if a truck was bout to flip over , you were in the middel lane. the truck starts to slide on its side on the left side lane. You push you gas to accelerate away from the scene ?????????????? awwww **** that ***** outta gear and your fucked =T you were to slow to react and you hit.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't charge a cellphone when the car is off, it will actually drain your cell battery and give that power to the car battery. Every car is like that, I used to sell cellphones for about 2 years and had many people with that same problem. If it's a problem of just having a car charger and no home charger, they make an adapter that plugs into the wall that has a car cigarette lighter outlet. Other than that I'd guess you could possibly hardwire it if you had to, I wouldn't.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Two questions on being in Nuetral and the Cigarette Lighter (CivicSpoon)

We have a 01 Mazda MPV and the cigarette lighter in the front is like the civic one, only on when the ignition is. there is one in the back near the trnk area that is on ALL the time though. I have charged both out phones from from this one and never had a "reverse charge" issue. Also, I had an 02 Dodge Dakota and the cigarette lighter was on all the time as well. I miss the convenience which is what prompted my question.

Good points on the nuetral issue. Thanks all.

Toby