Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo......Vtec????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo......Vtec????

What makes a turbo with vtec a pain in the ***? is it only the higher compression ratio or other things also??

Modified by shaun311 at 1:25 PM 10/2/2003
Old 10-02-2003, 04:13 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo......Vtec???? (shaun311)

Ummm..Not understanding what you are really trying to ask but there is no problem going turbo w/ vtec. It just maintaince that's a pain in the a$$.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the valve overlap isn't optimal in vtec for a turbo buts thats only if you're really serious about tuning the hell out of it...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a few things to consider when doing this type of upgrade:
1) How many miles on your current bottom end bearings and rods?
2) Is this addition of a turbo going to be for street use or racing only or both?
3) Plan on about 4k or more to really do the project right.
4) Daily driver type boost (10psi) or more?
5) What do your currently have on your motor for upgrades now? intake, etc...
6) How mechanicaly inclined are you to save yourself some greenbacks?

The main thing you want to be concerned with is:
If I add a turbo, will my bottom end last? Any FI system you choose will add alot more stress to your engines internals, so if you don't have a really "prepared" bottom end, you could run the risk of blowing up a bottom end.
Secondly, yes it is worth adding, by all means it is a blast to have fun with this addition to your car, however, be prepared financially UP FRONT to build the system properly, to avoid costly repairs after the project is done. BE proactive, not reactive.
With that being said:
The other concerns you'll have: (depending on how you answered the 6 questions above), will determine how much you spend. If your looking for a basic upgrade with daily driver capability (like most guys and gals) you can get a kit that bolts right up (tapping the oil pan is the only fabrication with the F Max kit), and comes with all the fuel controllers, and neccessary things to have a simple project done in a couple days...
Some of my customers like to add all sorts of other stuff as well, like a new clutch (highly reccommended), and an aluminum flywheel (optional) amongst other things. I am not the authority for sure when it comes to turbo kits, however, I have some experience with helping my customers find the right fit for them.
The only real pain with the addition of a turbo kit is that you have to learn how to control yourself and not blow your motor up, plus learning how to tune the engine and the fuel and the air to make it all run properly.

With that said, a local performance shop that KNOWS Honda/Acura combinations is your best place to get it installed and tunned on their dyno (if they have one.) The tunning is the key to making it fun, if you hire a shop to just install it, expect many headaches, so choose a shop wisely, and request a list of customers they have done work for as references ahead of time, and of course get their permission to contact their customers and ask around....my bet is that you have a shop everyone goes to and is happy with, god knows I see decals of my competitors all over town...LOL.
So to recap:
The Fmax kit is 3600.00 http://www.turbo-kits.com and you can expect to spend around 400 on up to get it installed with out any additional mods or add ons... tunning can get complex depending on the controller and e-manager you use (apexi, etc.) in order to keep it all running in proper order....
to find out more, visit the F Max site and they explain alot to you in detail, plus it is a bit technical, but if you want more help, let me know...I'd be happy to help you.
I hope this has given you some direction as to your curiousities and moneitary requirements necessary to tackle this upgrade you desire.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo......Vtec???? (Roadracejunkie)

i plan on getting and h22 very soon so it will have about 20-30k on it im guessing. it will be a jdm engine with 10.6 c/p so i will alos have to change the pistons to like 8.1...maybe?... 10psi would def. be enough at the moment. once i get the engine i am changing the clutch to a 6 puck and just throwing in a h/i/e. i was planning on installing th turbo myself with the help of a few friends... now is this a bad idea or should i really go to a shop and have it done? i want a setup to geared for street/race.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shaun-
having a few friends help is fine if your friends are very knowlageable about the H22 and the turbo kit. I highly reccomend that you trust a professional to do the job, that has the proper tools and time and knowhow.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're not that knowledgeable about turbos to begin with and you want an easy install and idiot proof fuel management. I would recommend a Greddy Turbo kit. They might not be the most cutting edge in performance, but they have an excellent reputation for quality, fitment, and their fuel managment system is pretty much idiot proof. your car will run like stock off boost. I've seen greddy boosted b18c's, they are really good on the street as boost comes in at~3000 rpm vs. my DRAG kit that comes in at ~4500 rpm. Their kits are very well suited to fairly stock engines and are matched to provide solid performance without much tuning needed. hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:17 AM

If you do some research before you start your turbo project you will be fine. But if you feel uncomfortable or don't know what you are doing, take it to a shop. Boosting a H22A is a little bit of money. I would say wait a while till you are sure you want more power. Obviously, an H22 in a civic is going to be a lot of fun. Check my sig for tech write ups on boosting your car. Good luck.