Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!?

hey i have a 97 civic ex and have been changing my mind everyday on wether to turbo my single cam or swap in a gsr. alright if im looking at getting a gsr its going to run me about 4000 total and ill have a reliable high 14s car. but turboing has its goods and bads there are many variables. if i go with a ebay kit and stock internals it would be less then 2000 but considering my motor already has 170 miles idk how long that would last. or i can get rods and pistons and build it then turbo which would run me up to 3000 but thats wit a ebay kit which ive heard are hits or misses. In the long run turbos are sick and gsr's vtec are sick and are both going to be high 14's so can someone help me make up my mind lol thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (sladed16y8)

You will save money and obviously make more power than the stock GSR for 4k if you turbo your D. You could piece together a turbo kit and purchase rods, pistons and injectors for way less than 4k and make around 225-250whp with the turbo d. Stock internals will hold 250whp even, and i would imagine 250whp in a hatch or coupe should be good for high 14's easy. IMO save the money and go with the turbo d. Shoot, you could even find an LS swap and turbo that for less than the GSR
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Occupy GDD

Personally I would go SOHC turbo. I have friends who have gsr & b16 civics and a friend who has a sohc turbo. The turbo'd one is much more fun than the other two options. Yeah you can slap a turbo on the gsr and destroy a sohc turbo but by the time you add up the total up, you are looking at an estimate of 6k just for parts (3k motor & 3k for turbo kit).

If you do go the sohc turbo route and don't want to spend too much go with the greddy kit. My buddy has that one on his and personally its plenty for DD. Also, if you blow the sohc they are cheap as hell to replace. Good luck with the decision.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

First of all, don't go with an ebay kit they are garbage. Go with a Greddy or edelbrock kit, and make sure you have it tuned on Hondata. I'd personally go with the turbo kit over the swap. The turbo kit can always be taken off, and should be less expensive and faster in the long run.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (BauleyCivic)

thanks guys i see your leaning toward a turbo but the way i see it the kit is 1000(ebay) and if i dont get a ebay kit greddy or a edelbrock would be up in the 3000 but then hondata and tune is another 800 plus install plus internals so thats around 4000 tell me if im wrong to me there just so even lol
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sladed16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys i see your leaning toward a turbo but the way i see it the kit is 1000(ebay) and if i dont get a ebay kit greddy or a edelbrock would be up in the 3000 but then hondata and tune is another 800 plus install plus internals so thats around 4000 tell me if im wrong to me there just so even lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

The ebay kits are ****. They are made from **** materials, and the turbos themselves have been known to break apart. You've been warned.

Here's a greddy kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

$2200 shipped, comes with e-manage (tunable software). Add an intercooler and blow off valve for $250 and you have an entire kit for under $2500.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sladed16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys i see your leaning toward a turbo but the way i see it the kit is 1000(ebay) and if i dont get a ebay kit greddy or a edelbrock would be up in the 3000 but then hondata and tune is another 800 plus install plus internals so thats around 4000 tell me if im wrong to me there just so even lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can get full greddy kits, what year car you have I can get you price
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (mikeycivic)

1997 d16y8 ex
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i pm'd you 2400 shipped
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (95ProjectEJ1)

Personally i would go with the GSR Swap since your engine has high miles and in the end you will have to replace it later on especially since the turbo will put more work on the engine.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM

I had the same question a while back, and i decided to go with the B-series. With a turbo single cam, you'll get the hp, but not the torque, which is half the fun. I personally enjoy peeling out in every gear.

I did see a 2006 civic si w/hondata chip and intake race vs. a 1997 civic hatch w/ sohc vtec turbo, and the hatch won by a car, but he was boosting like 12lbs... so there's not much potential for a single cam, in general.(with any upgrade, the si would take it)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (EG9-LSVTEC)

Boost your single cam. I have a d16y8 w/ edelbrock kit and i put the paddle to 2 hatches w/ c5's and more than a few other b-series motors at the track. 107k miles, original motor, 12psi. 212 whp/ 164 tq.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 AM

na scru turbo i'd go with supercharge: three reasons I'd go with supercharge

1.superchargers are bolt ons.

2. low maintnince.

3. u can pass smog with it.

if you do go with the supercharger on you ex you should be running like a gsr for about $800.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (project 98ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project 98ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">na scru turbo i'd go with supercharge: three reasons I'd go with supercharge

1. superchargers are bolt ons.

2. low maintnince.

3. u can pass smog with it.

if you do go with the supercharger on you ex you should be running like a gsr for about $800.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A turbo does bolt on, an oil change is not that hard and greddy kits are smog legal. And if you dont really care about smog and just find someone to do it like everyone else does you can piece your own homemade turbo set up for about 1k-1.5k with a tune
Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG9-LSVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did see a 2006 civic si w/hondata chip and intake race vs. a 1997 civic hatch w/ sohc vtec turbo, and the hatch won by a car, but he was boosting like 12lbs... so there's not much potential for a single cam, in general.(with any upgrade, the si would take it)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, and a 2006 civic si costs $22,000, what's your point? The hatch beat it with probably 1/4 of that in the car and turbo setup.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG9-LSVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same question a while back, and i decided to go with the B-series. With a turbo single cam, you'll get the hp, but not the torque, which is half the fun. I personally enjoy peeling out in every gear.

I did see a 2006 civic si w/hondata chip and intake race vs. a 1997 civic hatch w/ sohc vtec turbo, and the hatch won by a car, but he was boosting like 12lbs... so there's not much potential for a single cam, in general.(with any upgrade, the si would take it)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I call BULL ****. Who ever gave you the idea that a sohc turbo doesn't have the torque of a b-series? The d16y8 has a higher tq to hp ratio than most b-series motors. The potential of a single cam can be very good. My good friend has a 10 second street legal sohc turbo. My sohc turbo pulls a 13 sec. pass in a 00 ex coupe which is heavy as ****. Basing your opinions on one race, especially when there are so many different setups that could be used, and then saying that there isn't much potential for a motor is stupid. Speak from experience. Oh yeah, btw... I also have a 96 dx hatch w/ a b16, chipped ecu, bolt ons, etc. Just incase you think I'm not speaking from experience.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
SlowCivic29

turbod16.com register there and read up on some stuff. theres people making 450+ whp with d16's.

I plan on turbo over swap and i'm piecing together already. i'm still undecided on turbo though. GT28RS seems like the way to go but its $$$$$$$. And i really do not feel like running a water and oil cooled system. That limits the turbos i'll get at a junkyard...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG9-LSVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same question a while back, and i decided to go with the B-series. With a turbo single cam, you'll get the hp, but not the torque, which is half the fun. I personally enjoy peeling out in every gear.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

my civic only has 37,000 on it but im going to do the gsr swap and about a month, then turbo torque is fun!!!!!!! and wins races
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (honda97hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda97hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my civic only has 37,000 on it but im going to do the gsr swap and about a month, then turbo torque is fun!!!!!!! and wins races </TD></TR></TABLE>

See, thats great in all if you have the 3.5-4k to do the swap and another 3k for the turbo set up, but most people dont have that kind of cash. And you can even sell your motor/tranny to help out with all of that. He wants a reliable car in the high 14's, so what would justify spending 7k on a motor when you can hit that on a SOHC-T setup for less than 2k?

To the op, with all the details of what you have and what you want that has been given, go with the SOHC-T set up. You will have a reliable engine that will hit high 14's maybe even lower for half of what you would spend on a swap that will only give you 180hp.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See, thats great in all if you have the 3.5-4k to do the swap and another 3k for the turbo set up, but most people dont have that kind of cash. And you can even sell your motor/tranny to help out with all of that. He wants a reliable car in the high 14's, so what would justify spending 7k on a motor when you can hit that on a SOHC-T setup for less than 2k?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is true, i only have the money for the swap right now, but i will put a turbo on in the mid summer
as to selling my motor, i dont think i can get **** for it, yeah its low low miles but its a d16.....where would you think i should go and try to sell it?? thanx
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the tranny is in good condition, i would change the motor to a fresh anything, (z6/y8) and then move to boost.

A z6 motor or y8 with low miles can be bought from reputable sellers, (jdmshit, hmotors, etc.) at more than reasonable prices. And be JDM.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Does that greddy kit come able to bolt up to a GSR swap in a 95civic ex coupe?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!? (ek forever guy)

how much do you think i can get for my motor, tranny.....?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM

alright im leaning toward turbo now. since i dont trust ebay where us can a get a kit on the lower price range? wat tune setup should i use hondata, emanage? and if i decide on getting some pistons and rods where can i get them on the cheaper side thanks!?!?!?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sladed16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright im leaning toward turbo now. since i dont trust ebay where us can a get a kit on the lower price range? wat tune setup should i use hondata, emanage? and if i decide on getting some pistons and rods where can i get them on the cheaper side thanks!?!?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Piece one together, make a parts like and start finding good prices on it all.

Or buy a used kit from a reputable seller in the market place.

Quick Reply: turbo vs gsr help cant decide?!?!?!?!?