Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo type-r

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo type-r

is it ok to turbo a b18c5 i know they're better for N/A applications but is it still safe for turbo
Old 02-10-2004, 06:12 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo type-r (LpBoy2004)

Sure you can turbo an R but why ruin it? Just get a GSR or LS and turbo those instead.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: turbo type-r (Ki3t)

i already have a type-r in my hatch and im tryind to get the most for what i have
Old 02-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (LpBoy2004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LpBoy2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already have a type-r in my hatch and im tryind to get the most for what i have</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure you can turbo it...but the compression in the R motor is very high and until internal modifications are made to lower your compression you would only be able to run low boost. If you trying to get the most for what you have then i would recommend going N/A all motor with your current motor. Turbo applications on non-turbo vehicles from the factory are a lot of work and need high maintenance. Unless your educated enough to install the kit and tune your set-up its not going to be worth it, in the end youll just end up ruining a nice stock motor!!!! Very expensive motor at that!!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (B18C-Rsi)

If you want, I can trade you my 00 gsr swap for your type r, then you can turbo away. haha. In all seriousness the type r motor was designed to be a powerful all motor platform. Not a boost platform. Your really better off just building the motor up, adding some fuel. A lot of people will say nitrous on a high compression engine is bad, i totally disagree there, mostly because i've done it many times, and if your looking for a quick boost its an easy but more importantly an effective way to do it.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C-Rsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure you can turbo it...but the compression in the R motor is very high and until internal modifications are made to lower your compression you would only be able to run low boost. If you trying to get the most for what you have then i would recommend going N/A all motor with your current motor. Turbo applications on non-turbo vehicles from the factory are a lot of work and need high maintenance. Unless your educated enough to install the kit and tune your set-up its not going to be worth it, in the end youll just end up ruining a nice stock motor!!!! Very expensive motor at that!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

bah, low boost application with mediocre tuning should be fairly reliable.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (sickSOLvtec)

i would use nitous instead because type r are the worst engines for turbo
Old 02-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (sickSOLvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sickSOLvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bah, low boost application with mediocre tuning should be fairly reliable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For how long is the question. Are you really willing to risk a $4500-5000 swap on 5lbs of boost!!!! And for the nearly $3000 grand youll spend on getting the 5lbs you could have already started a mean N/A set-up. When it comes down to it its reallly just not worth it!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's not very cost effective when you compare the two, nitrous and turbo on a Type R. The compression is too high to run a reasonable amount of boost.. I agree with B18C-Rsi becuase with the overall gain from the 5psi ($3000) is barely 20-40 horses to the wheels. add a 75wet fogger shot of nitrous, and boom! sorry for all the "hype", but in summary, save the $3gs for some nice cams and some extra head work or valvetrain. or throw in some CTR pistons and a CTR intake cam???
Old 02-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Default Re: turbo type-r (redlinetuning)

so what parts would you recomend
Old 02-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (redlinetuning)

man..... all these people saying type r motors arent good for boost.. what ever. it is a proven fact that yo make more power with higher compression with boost. the stock compression of type r motors arent that high, not eventhe jdm versions of the motors. the only thing that really means anything when boosting higher compression motors is the TUNING!!!!. a good tuner can extract great power from a higher compression motor and n blow anything up. type r motors are great for boost and they have a more aggressive CAM which is proven to make a considerable amount of power over b16 or gsr cams. with teh slightly higher compression of the b18c5, plus the agressive cams plus GOOD TUNING will pull much more power @ 12 psi that a b18c1 could ever get.

people saying you cant boost over 5 psi on type r motors... i wish they wouldnt say that,. i dont have a type r motor but i know they make great power. its all in the tuning.....

P.S. example may people runign forged 9:1 pistons are now switching to forged 10:1 pistons becasue of the great power with higher compression.

if you are realyl worried about the compression with the type r motor, but a thicker head gasket to lower the compression a couple of points and get really good tuning and you will make awesome power. even though you lower the compression with a thicker head gasket the type r motor still is a bad *** motor to boost.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo type-r (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man..... all these people saying type r motors arent good for boost.. what ever. it is a proven fact that yo make more power with higher compression with boost. the stock compression of type r motors arent that high, not eventhe jdm versions of the motors. the only thing that really means anything when boosting higher compression motors is the TUNING!!!!. a good tuner can extract great power from a higher compression motor and n blow anything up. type r motors are great for boost and they have a more aggressive CAM which is proven to make a considerable amount of power over b16 or gsr cams. with teh slightly higher compression of the b18c5, plus the agressive cams plus GOOD TUNING will pull much more power @ 12 psi that a b18c1 could ever get.

people saying you cant boost over 5 psi on type r motors... i wish they wouldnt say that,. i dont have a type r motor but i know they make great power. its all in the tuning.....

P.S. example may people runign forged 9:1 pistons are now switching to forged 10:1 pistons becasue of the great power with higher compression.

if you are realyl worried about the compression with the type r motor, but a thicker head gasket to lower the compression a couple of points and get really good tuning and you will make awesome power. even though you lower the compression with a thicker head gasket the type r motor still is a bad *** motor to boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont claim to know all or anything but i hang in the R forum all the time and to the comment you made about the thicker head gasket...yes it will lower the compression but many of the ITR-T guys do not recommend this at all. Also boosting more then 5 psi was just my example....sure you can boost higher then that but i read enough to know that your motor simply isnt going to last unless you have internal modifications. Go to the R forum and ask, how many guys here with FI setups are running stock internals. You arent going to find many if any. Just my $.02 .
Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no motor will last without forged internals.... not just the RRRRR motor.... the type r stock bottem end is still just as weak as a gsr. they just have slightly higher compression and the pistnons are coated form the factory. i wouldnt change out my motor for a ls motor just because if that. lol