Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo Question

Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Question

Hey i got a quick question i have a 92 SI that i want to boost it kinda has high miles but im only going to use the motor thats in the car untill i get done buildin my other Z6. I was wonder if any body could tell me what the best kit would be to use for the money and also if there are kits that you can still use your A/C and stuff with. ANd also with my stock motor what would be a safe amount of boost to run untill i got my other motor built thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to dick around with the motor that is currently in the car and have to remove the kit once your other motor is finished?

What is your price range that you are looking to spend on the turbo kit? Are you going to install this yourself?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (95ProjectEJ1)

i am looking for the best setup for the money and yes im going to install it myself.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiousity, why do you want to dick around with the motor that is currently in the car and have to remove the kit once your other motor is finished?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Many of my friends have done the same with their old engines to pretty much screw with the engine and see how much abuse/NOS it could take. I do agree with you though that it's a waste of time/money in this situation to install a turbo on his old engine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey i got a quick question i have a 92 SI that i want to boost it kinda has high miles but im only going to use the motor thats in the car untill i get done buildin my other Z6. I was wonder if any body could tell me what the best kit would be to use for the money and also if there are kits that you can still use your A/C and stuff with. ANd also with my stock motor what would be a safe amount of boost to run untill i got my other motor built thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

7 lbs on stock engine is ok. WHATEVER you do, DON'T BUY AN EBAY NO NAME KIT... DONT DONT DONT DONT! Having a turbine seize on you is NOT fun at all. Buying a decent condition used greddy kit is cool. It really depends on how much money we're talking about.

95ProjectEJ1 is correct though, no point on adding turbo to this engine since when you install turbo, it MUST MUST MUST MUST be tuned. Tuning = money. Simply bolting on a turbo without tuning is of no benefit, and will cause you to destroy that engine much sooner than you think. You should only drive the engine without tuning, to the tuning shop.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (sageuvagony)

How many times must this be repeated: PSI has nothing to do with it!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many times must this be repeated: PSI has nothing to do with it!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, but people are probably refering to those typical edelbrock or Greddy kits, that always say "7-10 psi". I know what you're saying though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiousity, why do you want to dick around with the motor that is currently in the car and have to remove the kit once your other motor is finished?

What is your price range that you are looking to spend on the turbo kit? Are you going to install this yourself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen

OP: if it doesn't mean that mcuh, just screw around with it and look in the FI section. This is a perfect opportunity to experiment.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Question (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many times must this be repeated: PSI has nothing to do with it!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry master *kisses your feet*
Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (duneracer69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am looking for the best setup for the money and yes im going to install it myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the end most of our advice or all of our advice will do nothing but make you think twice before you do whatever you intend to do. However it would be to your benefit to sit down and ask yourself how much money you really want to put into this that you dont have to. I wanted to buy a complete LS swap while my other block and crank were out at the machine shop... almost bought it, but I took a step back and with the help of a friend bitch slapped myself and asked why I would spend 600 dollars and put off my turbo build that much longer.

Like everyone has said... spend some time in the FI section. Go to turbobygarrett.com and read up on turbo tech 101 and make your decision from there.

Also the FI performance section has a lot of turbo kits....

Spoolin (sp?)
Go autoworks
Peakboost
RCautoworks
SLS
AFI

If you dont have to pass a BAR like us in Cali you are probably better off piecing together a kit. With the knowledge you will acquire in the next couple of months you will be able to know exactly what components you need and where to find the best prices. A complete kit may be the best option for you... only time will tell. Now run along and have fun boosting your single cam
Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^nicely put good sir. As you can see, i put a lot less thinking in my post

Seriously, OP, take his advice. It'll be good for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was really wanting to find out what kits other people have used and go from there just seeing how they worked for other and such.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are experimenting and dont have a turbo buddy, you should start off with a pre fabbed kit. I got a great deal on a greddy kit on here and it helped me out tremendously. Those kits are pretty self explanatory and it made my first self install a breeze. I did it by myself with little outside help as far as INSTALLING it. Tuning is a different story. I did the AFc Hack so there isnt much tuning to be done there. Only so much you can do with that. Not that I recommend the hack, that is what I went with a few years ago.

I sold that kit for personal reasons and Fast forward a few years later and I was able to piece together kit that fit my budget and power goals and I had a better understanding of what I was doing.

And dont let the mileage on your car fool you. Honda's dont have the reputation they do for nothing. Mileage isnt as important as maintenance. You can turbo a 45,000 engine that was beat on and not cared for and not have it last as long as a 145,000 turbo engine that was miantained and cared for. When I was looking to go turbo, I read many experiences of people turboing cars wit over 100,000 and having them last years. It comes down to maintenance and tuning.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pre-peiced together kits are overpriced. Check out the FI section asap.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any other advice on what kits are good ones to use.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheap greddy kit is a nice start, and then u can always switch out to a gt28 turbo to give ya some more breathing room later on. But first time getting into FI id recommend just the greddy kit. Learn from it, and go from there. Usually get one between 8-1300 bucks.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (sageuvagony)

If you mean X psi from an edelbrock or t3 turbo, say so.. It only takes 1/2 a second to type that extra bit..
Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsjon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cheap greddy kit is a nice start, and then u can always switch out to a gt28 turbo to give ya some more breathing room later on. But first time getting into FI id recommend just the greddy kit. Learn from it, and go from there. Usually get one between 8-1300 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you get a turbo kit for $8 dollars? Jeez, that's tons cheaper than that awesome ebay turbo kit for $700 bucks, what was I thinking of spendin' them big bucks?

Anyways, a gt28 turbo is not going to give you "more breathing room". It will increase your spool times but provide more HP/TQ to your motor at a lower PSI
Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsjon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsjon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cheap greddy kit is a nice start, and then u can always switch out to a gt28 turbo to give ya some more breathing room later on. But first time getting into FI id recommend just the greddy kit. Learn from it, and go from there. Usually get one between 8-1300 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah I pid 1500 for me with shipping a few years ago. Then I turned arou and old some stuff I didnt need whihc saved me a cople hundred bucks so I got it for around 1300. When I pieced together my wn kit I spent the same amount but it included a laptopo, chip burner, chipped P28 ECU and a whole slew of guages. I just got extremely lucky on ebay and here and was able to get good stuff at cheap prices.

But I dont think I would have had as much success the second time if I didnt get the greddy kit the first time and see how everything works. I didnt want to to ask for help on here. I wanted to do it myslelf and a pre fabbed kit let me do that. They are starter kits but you wiefinately have fun with them.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any other advice on what kits are good ones to use.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...go to the Forced Induction forum and do some reading instead of being lazy and posting turbo questions in the wrong forum
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Question (Archidictus)

wasnt bein lazy im using my brothers account and i never been on here before.....god theres jerks where ever you go
Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do you get a turbo kit for $8 dollars? Jeez, that's tons cheaper than that awesome ebay turbo kit for $700 bucks, what was I thinking of spendin' them big bucks?

Anyways, a gt28 turbo is not going to give you "more breathing room". It will increase your spool times but provide more HP/TQ to your motor at a lower PSI</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please dont reproduce, people with sense would know that i was refering to 800.00 instead of 8.00. And by breathing room i am talking about easy expansion for when he or she would prefer more power but will still be able to keep 90% of the kit.