Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo or K-Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or K-Swap?

Hello all. I have a simple question that has been bugging me for a while. I'm about ready to start some major work on my motor, here's some info.

I have a 1993 four door EG, with a stock D-series(d15) with less than 100,000 miles. The question is, would it be more beneficial to purchase a turbo kit for the D-series and call it quits; or I can buy a complete K-Swap from a friend for a little bit more than the turbo kit.

Comments/Opinions?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo or K-Swap?

im in the same boat but i made my decision between a D16Z6 turbo or K20A2 swap. ill write down my opinions on the two

D Series Turbo
Pros
* Much Cheaper
* Easy to do

Cons
* Reliability is decreased (not saying its gonna suck, just decreased)
* Less power potential
* Requires more attention in terms of maintenance

K-Series Swap
Pros
* More reliable
* More potential
* Better gas mileage

Cons
* EXPENSIVE!!!

Although you may be able to pick up a K engine or tranny cheap the supporting mods add up quick. I decided to spend the extra money and get the k swap mainly due to reliability. N/A cars that go turbo soley dependent upon the tune. Though you may be at a "safe" level, you still are pushing much more tq through the transmission than Honda intended. I dont know how the d series trans holds up but a k series trans with any FI is gonna suck. Maybe im just paranoid because the k series transmissions are garbage since they suffer from 2nd & 3rd gear grind/pop out. ask away if you have any questions

*edit*
I forgot to mention that do realize that if you turbo the d15 in your car right now, youre turboing a 100,000 mile motor. get a compression check done if youre going that route
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why would it be between a k-swap and a turbo d-series? Thats like complete opposites. Have you ever done a k-swap before? **** isnt easy or cheap by any means.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kswap then turbo...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Adam_b16a
why would it be between a k-swap and a turbo d-series? Thats like complete opposites. Have you ever done a k-swap before? **** isnt easy or cheap by any means.
of course not but maybe he is in the same boat that i was in and trying to decide whether the extra money spent is worth the advantages to a k series and to me it is
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k-swap....are you dumb?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would most definitely spend the extra money on a K-swap. Reliability is truely a big issue here and D-series motors now have like at least 100k miles on them. I mean mine already have like 210k but yea it's bone stock. If you are planning to turbo a D-series, I would suggest that you rebuild the motor before any forced induction.

You better be prepared to throw some money and time down if your going to go a K-swap.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K swap, especially if your friend is willing to help you out installing it and everything.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some research on this also. You can find a d16z6 for very cheap. Throw in some vitara pistons and the FJ custom length rods and your good for over 450whp easy. Here is the link http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=564 That is for the entire rebuild kit for the bottom end, only $600. Than boost all you want. Much more cheaper and built at that than a stock bolt on Kseries.

You try to make over 300whp with a K series without boost.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not Rick!

Originally Posted by redDAinteg
^lulz. lots of people have. all motor Kseries with like 350hp to the wheels...
youtube. google. yahoo..all my friends told me.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
^lulz. lots of people have. all motor Kseries with like 350hp to the wheels...
youtube. google. yahoo..all my friends told me.
Didnt say it wasn't possible, But now you tell me how much it would cost to build the K to make that much power all motor, on top of the K swap price already. How would drivability be with an all motor K series with over 300whp ?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not Rick!

k24 bottom end $400 junk yard
type s head $900 online
all the little parts $1000
TSX cams
. same as what it cost me to get 400hp building a gsr for turbo.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redDAinteg
I did some research on this also. You can find a d16z6 for very cheap. Throw in some vitara pistons and the FJ custom length rods and your good for over 450whp easy. Here is the link http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=564 That is for the entire rebuild kit for the bottom end, only $600. Than boost all you want. Much more cheaper and built at that than a stock bolt on Kseries.

You have to think about it though. the D-series will only have power once the turbo kicks in so it'll be pretty bad if your a spirited driver that loves the twisties because of the turbo lag. But that kit seems really cheap to turbo.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here's how much I plan on spending for the K swap. I have a buddy who had his RSX-S rear ended, and he said that he will sell me everything for 1500. What he told me is that the only extra things that I need to buy are the motor mounts. Can anyone help me to see what else I'll need?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neither. do a vitara build and turbo... that is if your looking to get the most for your money with what you have.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your all talk...you wont do either
Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what I will be doing.
I have a K24 from a 06 CR-V that a friend wrecked and I bought the whole car from him for the motor 3 yrs ago.
I just bought a 06 SI tranny and RSX-S Shifter + mounts + Linkage.
Your going to have to get All that, motor, tranny, ecu's, RSX Shifter + Mounts + Linkage.
Then Mounts, I reccomend Hasport.
Custom exhaust made, your looking at about 400-500 for a better header ( Skunk2, or DC) and then the rest of the exhaust.
The Oil feed lines, custom coolant/radiator hoses and lines, Speedo Cluster lines if you want that to work, tach, etc.

All in all, a well done swap should run around an extra 2.5k if you have what I stated earlier.

So in total, without anything, this is like a 6-7k swap.
Now, a cheapo swap can be done, but there goes your reliability for the swap/it holding right. But you could cheap out with EBay brand mounts, exhaust, lines etc etc for like an extra 1k...But that'll fall apart eventually.

Do it the right way from the start.

Im waiting to find a clean EK hatch/Teggy so i can begin my build and post it up here.
Whatever you choose though, goodluck. Its your car!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I forgot to add, keep in mind you have to set up a fuel system.
New Rails, Fuel pump, lines, etc.
Some gauges for monitoring everything will be useful to.
Mini radiator, Fans.

Goodluck!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the comment about me being all talk and I won't do anything...We'll see.

And back to the topic, as stated before I will be getting everything - motor, tranny, axles, ECU, linkage etc.. A complete swap for 1500 minus the mounts. Plus he will install it for me so I can get an idea on how it works..
I thank you for your comments 'streetracerkam', but you priced the swap a little different from what I'm dealing with.
Once I get everything that comes in the car itself (minus the mounts) I need to know what else I'm dealing with. (the exhaust comment was good, didn't think of that.)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shade93
Well here's how much I plan on spending for the K swap. I have a buddy who had his RSX-S rear ended, and he said that he will sell me everything for 1500. What he told me is that the only extra things that I need to buy are the motor mounts. Can anyone help me to see what else I'll need?
mount,axles, shifter box, ac/ps eliminator kit, fuel lines, kpro/immobilizer, swap header... When its all said and done... You gonna be bout $2500 lighter in the pocket... And that doesnt even include the actual swap itself(motor, trans, ecu)

you better do some research buddy...

And some of yall are making stuff up... A single cam with 100k will run forever with a well maintained boost setup...

Im in the same boat except I have a GSR and want to be boosted bad... But the reliability of the K and performance out the box is still hard to pass up... Up to now I still havent made up my mind...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Op, if you can get all the parts from your buddies RSX for 1500 pick it up and sit on it for a while. While your thinking and buying the rest of the required parts for the build just keep in mind you can sell the parts for WAY more. Just th K swap itself sells for a hell of alot more than that. Not to mention, you can strip the interior of his car and have some sweet *** seats in your car as well. It all depends really on what YOU want to do with all this. I would definately go for the K, and if not buy it anyway just to strip it down and sell the parts and let that pay for your turbo build.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel Rail, you cannot retain the one of the RSX because it mounts differently from throughout the car ( correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I assume cosnidering thats what I need for my K24 swap from a CR-V).
All the lines for the fuel rail..
Your going to need a walbro..your stock pump in the tank wont push it for the K.
A tune will be needed, badly, after you do all this.
The various connectors/linkages... and attachments for like the Speedo to work and whatnot, its going to be expensive.

Even if you get everything from that rsx, your still looking at atleast 2k extra for everything to be right, or a slacky **** job for 1k...Hasport mounts are 600 themselves. Your gonna need a passenger side CR-V mount to (50-150), Speedo Lines and attachment for it to work and tach (100-300) aftermarket fuel rail ( 200-400) Full exhaust, with header ( 800) mounts ( hassport are 600, innonative 450), oil cooler etc. It's going to be a lot of money and nerves, but more power to you if you get it done.
I know I am, i just need to find a nice hatch to drop all my stuff in.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k swap /conversation