Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo Issue!! help me plz!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Turbo Issue!! help me plz!

so here are the details on the car. i have a 95 boosted eg hatch. the whole thing is pushing 5-6psi. it ran great until last night when i could no longer build boost. my boost gauge just kind of flutters and wont go past 1 or 2 psi. im not really losing power it just feels like im driving a non turbo car. there appears to be a little smoke on deceleration. the car still runs fine like i said, since it is my daily i have no choice to drive it. if anyone has any ideas please help. i will be doing a boost leak check probably Tuesday.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Issue!! help me plz!

sounds like the wastegate is stuck open. what kind of turbo setup is it anyhow? if it's a chinese turbo kit, this is most likely the problem. my brother had an XS power 38mm v band wg on his d16 and the problem he had was the nut on the wg shaft would vibrate off and he would lose all but a couple psi of boost.

could you explain how it is you lost say 4-5 psi of boost and can not tell a power loss?

do you hear any ridiculously loud whistling sounds? this will tell if you have a problem with the intercooler/piping assembly?

the only thing left to cause a fluttering sound is the blow off valve which will also cause a loss of boost if stuck open

definetely check the wastegate first
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
sounds like the wastegate is stuck open. what kind of turbo setup is it anyhow? if it's a chinese turbo kit, this is most likely the problem. my brother had an XS power 38mm v band wg on his d16 and the problem he had was the nut on the wg shaft would vibrate off and he would lose all but a couple psi of boost.

could you explain how it is you lost say 4-5 psi of boost and can not tell a power loss?

do you hear any ridiculously loud whistling sounds? this will tell if you have a problem with the intercooler/piping assembly?

the only thing left to cause a fluttering sound is the blow off valve which will also cause a loss of boost if stuck open

definetely check the wastegate first
sorry i worded that wrong i am having a loss of power i meant the car isn't bogging down or anything its like im driving a non turbo car. i meant it isn't missing or anything.

Im running a DSM setup on my car. its a turbo out of a eclipse with a eclipse manifold and a jdm sport piping and intercooler with a HKS ssq BOV.

Its not making a fluttering sound mu needle on my gauge is just kind of vibrating.

Im going to check the waste gate first that was my first idea when this happened. i pulled off my cooler pipes on the turbo and made sure my turbines are still spinning which they are and im not getting excessive shaft play of anything.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there oil on the inlet of ur turbo? Could have possibly blown a seal, or like stated earlier WG could be fukked. Just do a random sweep of the turbo components, checking connections, leaks, loose bolts/parts you'll most likely find your problem by doing that quick rundown.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
Is there oil on the inlet of ur turbo? Could have possibly blown a seal, or like stated earlier WG could be fukked. Just do a random sweep of the turbo components, checking connections, leaks, loose bolts/parts you'll most likely find your problem by doing that quick rundown.
yeah im still feeding oil and my return is good to. is seems like my gauge is just sitting right at 0 now unless i give it some heavy throttle then it can go only as high as maybe 2psi. hmmm.. i will try and check my waste gate today. i gotta go to work at 10 and wont get off till 8
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i looked at my car ans i noticed that the whole push rod coming from my wastegate is gone???? its a 2 pice rod with a ajusting nut. the nut rattled off and the flapper side of the rod is gone... so now i gotta find out what kind of turbo it is and locate a new rod....
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
New User

the only thing i can think is Vacuum lines... i have a LS-T in my EK and ive experienced a bunch of turbo problems already..
Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
New User

Originally Posted by ufakeit
so i looked at my car ans i noticed that the whole push rod coming from my wastegate is gone???? its a 2 pice rod with a ajusting nut. the nut rattled off and the flapper side of the rod is gone... so now i gotta find out what kind of turbo it is and locate a new rod....
so your just gna rebuild the wastegate? hmmm not really sure about that one.

what kind of turbo kit? and is the Wastegate internal or External?

i would just get a new wastegate on the fuccer just to be in the safe side...

because not making boost is alright.. but if that thing spikes out it will take the motor with it
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you have an internal wastegate, look at the compressor housing for id numbers,letters, etc. i'm sure someone on here will know what kind of turbo it is

i've never heard of anything like this happening on an internal wastegate, but i guess anything is possible

let us know what you find
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no not rebuilding. its a 2 piece rod and the flapper side threads on halfway up the rod to the other half of the rod. i will attach pics. <br>
if u look in the bottom of the pic u can see the "flapper" side of the wastegate. then further up u can see the threaded rod where another piece of the rod attaches. i'm assuming it uses a jam nut to hold it on but it rattled loose or something...<br>
<br>
another pic of the rod. see there is a nut on the end im assuming so u can adjust ur wastgate...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
sounds like you have an internal wastegate, look at the compressor housing for id numbers,letters, etc. i'm sure someone on here will know what kind of turbo it is

i've never heard of anything like this happening on an internal wastegate, but i guess anything is possible

let us know what you find
i kno so far its a mitsu turbo i can see the three diamond logo. i will need to pull some stuff to get a better look at the numbers.. i will post them once i find em
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so im running a tdo4h turbo with a tdo4l wastegate. its made by mitsu. any ideas where to find a new rod?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 AM

sure you didnt just blow off a cupling? on the charge piping
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattyv
sure you didnt just blow off a cupling? on the charge piping
did u look at the pics like 2 posts above u? lol im pretty sure its my lack of wastegate rod....
Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so im running a tdo4h turbo with a tdo4l wastegate. its made by mitsu. any ideas where to find a new rod?
just buy another turbo with the wg, those small mitsubishi turbos are pretty cheap anymore