Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   turbo help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/turbo-help-2687066/)

ryanangelo212 11-26-2009 09:50 AM

turbo help

i have a 93 civic ex... d16z6.
ive never done a turbo setup before, but i plan to.

ive got the turbocharger, manifold, and downpipe. a b16 ecu that supposedly worked on the same setup.

what else do i need?

couldnt i just get an ebay piping+intercooler for less than $200 and be done?

leroy2332 11-26-2009 12:06 PM

Re: turbo help

u will also need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, oil line kit for the turbo, bov, wastegate if turbo doesnt have a internal wastegate and a good tune.

leroy2332 11-26-2009 12:08 PM

other good things to get are a turbo timer (to cool down your turbo) and a manual or electrical boost controler.

fastrxu 11-26-2009 12:38 PM

^^^ no electric boost control get manual cuz its your first turbo (im assuming)

You'll also need a clutch if you dont got a beefy one
And dont rely on somebody telling you the ecu workd on the same setup thats how you blow up your engine at startup. You gotta get a good good tune

azandford 11-26-2009 01:58 PM

What kind of power goal do you have? You might not need a new fuel pump. I run 300hp off the stock fuel pump.

But definently get new injectors such as injector dynamics. The rc injectors have old technology. Dont skimp on on your parts. Your gonna spend more money down the road replacing all the cheap ebay crap you bought. I know i am.

EK2.0 11-26-2009 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ryanangelo212 (Post 40761912)
i have a 93 civic ex... d16z6.
ive never done a turbo setup before, but i plan to.

ive got the turbocharger, manifold, and downpipe. a b16 ecu that supposedly worked on the same setup.

what else do i need?

couldnt i just get an ebay piping+intercooler for less than $200 and be done?

I think you need to give a little more info about what you already have ad what you plan to do with your set-up? like someone said before is the turbo internally wastegated?

Your gonna need plenty of vacuum hose.
Intercooler piping couplers for the piping and clamps and intercooler (quality of the cooler is up to you but you get what you pay for)
If it's an externally gated turbo don't skimp on the wastegate go with something from Tial the 38mm gates aren't to expensive and they hardly every fail. and when they do fail it's usually operator error!
Turbo time is almost a must
you don't necessarily need a boost controler right away, if it's an external wastegate you can change the spring pressure in the gate or use a boost controller. if it's internal you will need a controller to adjust boost though.
oil feed and return lines for the turbo
if you plan to run aything over 11psi of boost your gonna need to do something about a MAP sensor (stock won't read over 11psi'ish)

Bennyboy1717 11-26-2009 04:40 PM

or you could go old school and run an FMU and a missing link!!! lol

leroy2332 11-28-2009 02:44 PM

as far as a map sensor, i suggest getting the 4 bar map sensor. they can read up to 40 psi. u can get one for about $100 or even cheaper off ebay.

b00stedOne 11-28-2009 02:58 PM

you might also need a better clutch and bigger exhaust depending on you hp goals. A boost gauge and wide band wouldnt hurt either.