Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo help

i have a d16 z and i dont know if its ok to go turbo on stock internals. i dont want alot of power, just quickness. what do you guys think i should do?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: turbo help (imskatencrzy)

If you want quickness(acceleration?) your probably looking for torque at low end rpm. Putting a turbo on your stock engine is only going to show up after 3500 RPM. Turbo manufacturers recommend certain boost for running on stock internals but I think its still going to cause substantial strain on your engine. I would recommend an engine swap to something in the b18 range but its going to cost a little more but will last longer.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:27 AM

Did you search? This has been asked several times in the last week!!

How many miles are on your D16? If you have high mileage you should get a compression check and be up to date on your mantainance (Timing Belt, etc.).

It's is OK to boost on a D16 with stock internals, but I personally would recommend a 6-7Lbs maximum.

Your car is 5speed, yes?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help (cooktim)

You can boost on your stock internals, just not a crazy about. Stock internals on a d-series are good for maybe 180-200hp, give or take depending on your tune.

Do some research in the forced induction forum about turbo'd d-series. I guarantee you you'll find enough information to keep you occupied for awhile.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help (******)

yeah it is a 5 speed. yeah i do want quickness. thats why i was considering a supercharger. but from what you guys have said, it makes me think that if i put a turbo on my car, then it should be fairly reliable in the fact that around town i shift at like 3-4 grand. so the boost will only kick in when im flooring it. where as a supercharger runs boost all the time. does that make sense? are turbo's fairly relaible? and how much should a decent kit cost? kee in mind im not trying to like, break 200 horses or anything. thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you know what you're doing piece together a kit yourself. It can be cheaper and you get to choose all your components.

If you don't really know what you're doing, buy a bolt on kit like GReddy.

Don't forgot to get good tuning as well. Sounds like you just want a little power boost with reliability. I would get rid of the FMU that comes with the GReddy kit if you go that way and tune with Crome or Uberdata. Reliability lies heavily in the quality of the tune.

GReddy kit is around $1800 new, but you could probably find a used one for $1000-$1200.

Uberdata equipment might total $100-$200, plus a wideband ($300-$400)for good tuning unless you use someone elses.

Again, these are kind of rough numbers. This will be much less if you piece a kit together yourself. You hear of people saying they built a full system for <$1000.

Check out http://www.turbod16.com and http://www.homemadeturbo.com, as well as the forced induction section of this site.

Good luck to ya.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: turbo help (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imskatencrzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it is a 5 speed. yeah i do want quickness. thats why i was considering a supercharger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was going to say if it was automatic, then you would want a supercharger.

5 Speed, I say Turbo.

In addition to what ****** said (I agree with all his points, especially that Tuning is Key!)...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imskatencrzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the fact that around town i shift at like 3-4 grand. so the boost will only kick in when im flooring it. where as a supercharger runs boost all the time. does that make sense? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have found that even if you are not making full boost ("Flooring it") You will notice a large difference in your car. - I am talking turbo here - At idle, my engine sits at around -20PSI , and in normal driving where your turbo is spooled enough to put your engine pressure at, say, 0 PSI, there is a big difference compared to -20PSI.

I guess my point is that you don't have to be making FULL boost to feel the difference in your car's power. Even -10PSI will make a difference. But there is a big difference when you are at FULL boost! - I hope that makes sense.

I will say, however, I have not driven a Supercharged civic... Though I am sure it's 'powerban' will start sooner.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: turbo help (SE7EN3S)

you can definatley boost your D with stock internals. I myself am boosting 11psi with stcok internals (D16y8) and been running it like that close to 6 months now and no problems... but i dont floor it everytime i get a chance too keep that in mind. but 6 or 7 psi is still fun! good luck with it
and if you wanna check my car out click on the link in my signature section