Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ?

i have a 92 eg gsr hatch and im kinda in the middle,, i dont know wut im gunna do boost it or all motor,,, it pulls hard now so i could imagine it with sum boost.. but i heard all motor gsr hatches pull just as hard,, and not as much stress on the motor,, so i kinda need ur help i want sum opions maybe one weather to boost or not,, previouse experence is wanted but noobs too..
Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ? (humboldt_skim)

daily driver?
money situation?
reliability issue?

you need to consider those 3 and go from there.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Man U FTW

It all depends on your use for the car and your budget. Yes, a turbo setup stresses the engine more, but that's because its making more power than an all-motor setup. Personally, i would opt for a turbo setup because you'll end up spending about the same for either, but will achieve more with boost. After having my turbo GSR (315whp stock block) i would NEVER even consider an All Motor build..
Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finshed mine and made 305whp and 245ftlbs. and I dont think that I could have made that much power with the same amount of money going all motor. Even if you go all motor there is a cut off point it is still a 4cly.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM

thats true,, i here turbo produces more power,, but really tares up ur motor,, and it wil be my dailey driver so maybe i should go all motor,, but what kind of power could i expect from all motor
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Man U FTW

It doesn't "tear up the motor" unless you are a retard and cut corners on your setup and tune. I daily drove (over 18000 miles and 2 years) on my 315whp stock block.

On an all motor setup, it really depends what you do. On a stock sleeve GSR, dont think you're going to make much past 200whp though. With the same amount of money as the ~200whp setup, you could make 300+ on a turbo setup. I really dont see how this is a hard decision.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like they said i had a friend that had a turbo b16 that was tuned perfectly and he was running 15 pounds daily and it was very reliable... but it was expensive
Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

If you go turbo do it right and dont cut corners... well this is tru for all motor also. The tune is everything... you get a great tune on a turbo setup and you will make mch more power then NA and it will be just as safe.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Re: (iluvmy2000civicex)

cool well thanx for the info,, i wanna turbo it,, cause of the power,, but if i dont cut corners,, its gunna take alot of money,, to do it right,, i might just wanna do all motor i mean im smoking gt mustangs now,, i think it will be ok after a couple of mods
Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (humboldt_skim)

It doesnt matter who or what you smoke... theres always gunna be someone who can smoke you. Keep this in mind. I found out the hard way.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (iluvmy2000civicex)

well ya its always gunna be like that somone has to win and somone has to lose,,, but if ur doing it cause its fun then it doesnt matter if u win or lose,,, i dont care if i smoke somone or get smoked by sumone,,, ofcourse there will be faster cars out there,, uall never be the fastest,, even if my car had some boost there would still be a car that would eat me all day,, so,, all i was sayin wuz im happy with smoking gt mustangs with just my swap,, with sum mods ill still be havin fun
Old 05-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about it this way all motor= 220whp-$5000
turbo 320whp-$3500

High compression all motor builds are just as hard on the motor as well 12-1 and 13-1 compression on the high power all motor builds are tough on the blocks and internals as well..

Do you live far enough out in teh boonies that you dont' have to worry about smog.. I know many places around guernville, lake county don't have to smog..

Think Greddy kit with intercooler then add a set of 550's or 750's with hondata s300 or s200b if you can find a used one for cheap.. You can do a revhard kit or one of many others for around the same price.. Have it tuned and then go have fun I ran my boosted d series at 12psi 220whp and 200wtq for 3 years before I yanked the motor for a b swap..
Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also think about it like this, a all motor setup has to be perfectly designed. You have so much to worry about like valve clearance, how much of a lift on the cam, how much duration, etc. etc. so at least with a turbo setup you dont have to worry as much untill you start pushing alot of boost (20+)
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ?

plus, can't deny the fact a loud BOV is a sexy sound... IMO i'd go for a turbo
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ? (Rthom21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rthom21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus, can't deny the fact a loud BOV is a sexy sound... IMO i'd go for a turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ? (nicks-eg6)

dam,,, now i wanna turbo setup i mean its kinda set up for it i took the a/c out and put smaller single fan and radiator in it so,,, what do u think i should by foirst fr my turbo set up ,, my turbo kit or,, mods to get it ready for turbo
Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure what you mean by mods to get it ready for turbo? Are you going to build the motor or run it in its stock form? I think you'll be fine if you keep it under 8000rpm and 10psi on a stock block.. You'll want to upgrade the fuel pump to a walbro xxx342.. Everything else you'll want to install at the same time as the turbo kit ie injectors, hondata, boost controller,
Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (fishnfst)

thats kinda what i meant like should i get my injectors my cams,,, my fuel system and my cooling sysyetm befor i slap on the turbo,, could i put these things on before i turbo it,, or will that make it run shitty
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It all depends on your use for the car and your budget. Yes, a turbo setup stresses the engine more, but that's because its making more power than an all-motor setup. Personally, i would opt for a turbo setup because you'll end up spending about the same for either, but will achieve more with boost. After having my turbo GSR (315whp stock block) i would NEVER even consider an All Motor build..</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't "tear up the motor" unless you are a retard and cut corners on your setup and tune. I daily drove (over 18000 miles and 2 years) on my 315whp stock block.

On an all motor setup, it really depends what you do. On a stock sleeve GSR, dont think you're going to make much past 200whp though. With the same amount of money as the ~200whp setup, you could make 300+ on a turbo setup. I really dont see how this is a hard decision.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man this guy is on the money. all the way.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

for GSR? Turbo, find a b18c1.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you're "on the fence" and wondering what to do and you can't decide....and your statement saying "I know it pulls hard NA, but I think it will pull harder with boost" seems to point to the fact that you want boost.

Dont lie to yourself. Just buy the boost and flip the extensive repair bills that you will incur. Atleast that way, you'll be satisfied with the car for the 12-24 seconds that it does run correctly before you have to redo things.

If you're craving speed, just go with the boosted car.

The NA car will most likely be worlds more reliable. You will have to fix and maintain it less.

This question has been asked about 100 million times. Do the research and find out actual numbers and facts. Compare your goals to the numbers and facts. Make a decision. Why would you want an online website full of people with vastly different opinions making a decision on YOUR car.

People are going to push their priorities onto you and try to live vicariously through you. There will be 50 guys with stock D series engines that say "GO BOOST" for the simple fact that they can't afford it and it's on their christmas wishlist 5 years running. There are also people that will claim to have BULLETPROOF boosted engines, but hide the whole story.

For every 1 "good" boost story, there seem to be about 5 or more bad ones. The fact is that most people dont know what they're doing or use the car in a certain way and claim ABSOLUTE reliability. Do you know what you're doing? Can you keep a boosted car together for the type of driving YOU will be doing? What does reliability mean to YOU? Is it important?

If you ask for an opinion without getting all the facts, people will just give you their experience with their situation. Your experience may differ.

Modified by B serious at 11:41 PM 5/31/2008
Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ? (gsrhatch2356)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrhatch2356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also think about it like this, a all motor setup has to be perfectly designed. You have so much to worry about like valve clearance, how much of a lift on the cam, how much duration, etc. etc. so at least with a turbo setup you dont have to worry as much untill you start pushing alot of boost (20+) </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. The whole aluminum block, open deck, cast pistons and high compression thing has nothing to do with anything. B series engines were clearly designed for boost. So modifying them for boost will make sure that they stay together because you dont have to worry about changing crazy and unheard, totally unexperimented things like the valve clearance or cam specs.

That makes no sense.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo gsr hatch or all motor gsr hatch ? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The whole aluminum block, open deck, cast pistons and high compression thing has nothing to do with anything. B series engines were clearly designed for boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahaha
Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To your last question You'll want to get all the parts together first.. Don't bother putting them on until you have all the parts.. No use running massive injectors and hondata on your stock motor.. You are just going to have headaches or spend money on tuning just to get it to idle right.. Wait until you put the turbo on then install the injectors,fuel pump and hondata at the same time.. If you are going s300 The hondata basemaps are pretty damned close most of the time.. Close enough for you to drive it to your tuner at least..

Now don't install everything and go off and drive it like a maniac.. Best way to wreck a good thing.. Make sure its running safe on its tune and there are no other issues..

If you are prone to beating on it hard have the boost cut set at 9psi with 8000 redline by your tuner and that will eliminate the urge to turn up the boost..

You never answered my original question about having to smog either... I've seen quite a few all motor setups with the stock injectors and stock ecu's put back in them that will pass smog.. A turbo car will be a totally different story, an external wastegate will be a definite way to fail the visual.. Now if you have plenty of time and can remove the kit every 2 years for smog then you'll be good to go...
Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you tune it right then it will be fine... dont cut corners and your boost project will be just dandy