Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo GSR in 92 EG Hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSR in 92 EG Hatch build

This thread is for my for my 1992 eg hatch build, I have been doing alot of research and will continue too. I'm not looking for a 10 second car, just a nice 8psi daily driver. Hopefully I'll have some good feedback from everyone and some helpful pointers, estimated time for being done will be 1-2 years. Considering once the motor is ready to swap in im repainting the car and engine bay.

Parts already aquired:
GSR block w/ stock crank, rods, and pistons.
Skunk2 intake manifold and tuner series cam gears
Drag DR-23's 15X6.5

I have a long way to go but body work will begin when winter is over. The only things im unsure of are what brand header and turbo/turbo size, still researching though.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Turbo GSR in 92 EG Hatch build

post this up in the forced induction forum.

it is evident you are new to the world of boost, which is fine, but there is alot of knowledge and expertise that will need to be learned to do it right and make it last. if you are going to run a stock GSR block on 8 psi and wanna make 300whp, (mid 12 sec car w/ a good driver) you will wanna run something along the lines of a t3/t4 .57 trim 50 or 63 AR.

I would not worry about the S2 cam gears unless you plan on running an itr or aftermarket set of cams. you wont gain much of anything.

as for "the header" its called a turbo manifold. i am a fan of the equal length "mini ram" style Turbo mani for low boost setups.

where are you located?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I'll be running S2 cams, I'm located in Nashville, TN. Yea I need to work on gramatically correct terms for parts, thanks for the input though.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like we're workin on the same build bro.. my goal for my boosted gsr is 500whp..im lookin to have the motor in my hatch by the end of feb. if u got any questions or want some pointers shoot me a PM
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be sure to shoot ya a PM if I got any questions, thanks man.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start doing a lot of reading or you could make a mistake or waste money on something like an upgraded ignition system when you may not need it. And take your time buying parts. It's been about 6 months I've been collecting parts and I'm just now close to having everything because I've been buying local, hunting forums, and yes buying stuff off eBay to find deals.

Stick with Garret or other name brand turbos. No ching chong eBay snails. Some people use them reliably, but it's a gamble. For little more you can get a used turbo and get a rebuild kit for $30 to have a "new" turbo.
There is a difference in eBay vs say, a Precision intercooler. There's a higher fin density in a Precision and they are turned a bit. Buy used, it's just a hunk of aluminum. eBay ones work, people have made good power with them, but know there is a difference in construction.

Be realistic with your goals. A 1000hp intercooler isn't necessary unless you are sure you'll be able to get that sort of power.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Start doing a lot of reading or you could make a mistake or waste money on something like an upgraded ignition system when you may not need it. And take your time buying parts. It's been about 6 months I've been collecting parts and I'm just now close to having everything because I've been buying local, hunting forums, and yes buying stuff off eBay to find deals.

Stick with Garret or other name brand turbos. No ching chong eBay snails. Some people use them reliably, but it's a gamble. For little more you can get a used turbo and get a rebuild kit for $30 to have a "new" turbo.
There is a difference in eBay vs say, a Precision intercooler. There's a higher fin density in a Precision and they are turned a bit. Buy used, it's just a hunk of aluminum. eBay ones work, people have made good power with them, but know there is a difference in construction.

Be realistic with your goals. A 1000hp intercooler isn't necessary unless you are sure you'll be able to get that sort of power.
HAHHAHAHA ching chong turbo lol
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ hear somethin new everyday lol but I'm just wanting a fun daily driver that I can take out and have some fun in. I have a couple of people here that help me out but I have been doing alot of reading and will continue you too. Thanks for the help ya'll.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92DD
This thread is for my for my 1992 eg hatch build, I have been doing alot of research and will continue too. I'm not looking for a 10 second car, just a nice 8psi daily driver. Hopefully I'll have some good feedback from everyone and some helpful pointers, estimated time for being done will be 1-2 years. Considering once the motor is ready to swap in im repainting the car and engine bay.

Parts already aquired:
GSR block w/ stock crank, rods, and pistons.
Skunk2 intake manifold and tuner series cam gears
Drag DR-23's 15X6.5

I have a long way to go but body work will begin when winter is over. The only things im unsure of are what brand header and turbo/turbo size, still researching though.
you look like you've actually done a little homework and are headed in the right direction

search more and read everything. nothing you learn can do you harm.

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
post this up in the forced induction forum.

it is evident you are new to the world of boost, which is fine, but there is alot of knowledge and expertise that will need to be learned to do it right and make it last. if you are going to run a stock GSR block on 8 psi and wanna make 300whp, (mid 12 sec car w/ a good driver) you will wanna run something along the lines of a t3/t4 .57 trim 50 or 63 AR.

I would not worry about the S2 cam gears unless you plan on running an itr or aftermarket set of cams. you wont gain much of anything.

as for "the header" its called a turbo manifold. i am a fan of the equal length "mini ram" style Turbo mani for low boost setups.

where are you located?
Originally Posted by thumper64

excellent advice

ching chong turbo