Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo and front mount install HELP...thanx!!

Old 05-01-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and front mount install HELP...thanx!!

i'm gonna be installing my turbo kit within a week or so on my 98 civic ex (d16 y8/9)...i'm gonna be having a front mount...so i was wondering...
what is the best way to get rid of the factory grill on the bumper's mouth?

should i just take a dremmel to it and sand?

also...i was wondering about VTEC and ignition timing...everyone's been tellin' me that i hafto retard the timing for sure with a turbo setup...but the opinions been goin' both ways when it comes to the VTEC...i'll be running around 7lbs tops (ill be running on stock internals so i dun wanna blow anything up)...with this amount of boost...should i disengage VTEC?...if yeah, can i do that without a V-AFC?...or will i be alrite?

and another thing...about controlling my boost...the turbo is a completely rebuilt mitsubishi 14a (i believe it came off the old mitsubishi starion)...the turbine has an internal wastegate limited to like 14lbs or so...will i be alrite controlling my boost thru the stage 3 blow off valve? i kno that this like almost "leaking boost thru a hole in the intake" and all...but yeah...can anyone suggest a better way to control boost without having to invest tons of money...or will i be alrite with such low boost?

thanx!!

Old 05-01-2004, 04:38 PM

what turbo kit is it?

i'm sure at 7psi you are safe, but i'd still say to get it to for daily driven purposes. The size of that turbo shouldn't be that big to cause any problems.

have fun with it and be safe with it too.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: (kwik2nec)

thanx..but wut about the intercooler question and the vtec??

so with my bov and boost setup...i shouldnt hafto worry about anything yah?

anyone else have an opinion??

thanx!!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (devildicer)

bov controls/prevents compress surge. it does not limit boost. wastegate limits/controls boost. how much boost do you plan on running. if 14 psi as you mentioned, what fuel mangement will you be running.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Re: (MaxSterling)

yes dremel will me quick work of the bumper.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (MaxSterling)

This guy is running a old Mitsubishi Starion turbo a 14a is the name of the turbo not how much his running. He wants to turn only 7psi.

To run 7psi you have to have a 7psi wastegate. Im thinking the wastegate you have is lower then 7psi so if you want to raise it you will need a boost controller to raise it. A Blow Off Valve has nothing to do with how much you boost, dont ever let anyone tell you it does. A BOV is important when releasing exess gas though, this is true.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devildicer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
should i just take a dremmel to it and sand?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats all you need to do really, thats what im going to do.

About VTEC, keep it, you have no reason not to keep it. VTEC wont get in the way or anything like that, you should have full boost before VTEC even engages so dont worry about it.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

well actually...this turbo's wastegate is set at something more than 7lbs...

a boost controller can't get boost lower than what the wastegate puts out i thought...

and about the bov...i went to a tuner shop in my area...really big with honda/acura cars...and they told me that there are BOVs that can control boost...it's just that it's a much older setup...and not as efficient
Old 05-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the wastegate is higher then 7psi i would take the turbo back to where you got it rebuilt and have them install a 7psi or maybe even a 5psi spring so you wont go over 7psi that you want. Get a boost controller to raise it if you want.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devildicer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and about the bov...i went to a tuner shop in my area...really big with honda/acura cars...and they told me that there are BOVs that can control boost...it's just that it's a much older setup...and not as efficient</TD></TR></TABLE>

If true, thats news to me, can anyone back that up?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devildicer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> there are BOVs that can control boost...it's just that it's a much older setup...and not as efficient</TD></TR></TABLE>

...but what do i know
Old 05-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and about the bov...i went to a tuner shop in my area...really big with honda/acura cars...and they told me that there are BOVs that can control boost...it's just that it's a much older setup...and not as efficient</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you had even a simple understanding of what a BOV does, then you would know that is bullshit. I blow off valve, atleast in every context that I've EVER seen it used it, has NOTHING to do with controlling boost.