Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap

I currently drive a 97 del sol Si. I have come across an opportunity to get an LS motor with cams for $400. Totaling it up, I figure I will spend about $1200-1300 to get it swapped in. I am trying to decide if I want to do that. Or take the $1200 that I was gonna spend on that and get myself a nice lil turbo kit, new speakers, a head unit, get my tint re-done, and maybe a bazooka tube. In ya'lls opinion, which route would be a better bang for my buck?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (ryangirl444)

jus my 2 cents
400 for a ls swap?? check in2 the swap is what i wud do(check the block, head and compression test and other major stuff)

i while back i got a td04-h kit and pieced it 2gether for way less the 1200(more like less then 200) it was for a 98 y8...

in my cents i wud look n2 doing a y8 turbo kit just look around for cheap parts(i never bought off ebay for my y8 turbo kit)
Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (EJ8CIVIC)

Just turbo the y8 and save the SOHC
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (CapnKrunch)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM

The more i think about it the more I am leaning towards turbo'ing the d16. But do you think I should just buy a kit? Or should I piece it together? I've heard you can save money piecing things together. But I want to make sure I get quality stuff, ya know?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just turbo the y8 and save the SOHC </TD></TR></TABLE>

Z6, yeah, Y8 oil pumps fail on turbo, I've seen it too many times, don't boost a Y8, it's not stable unless built with a different (preferably dry sump) oil pump.

I also got some more bad news for you, you're not gonna get an entire turbo kit, all new sound system, new tint, head units, and subs for 1200 bucks.

The turbo kit alone will cost you ~1500 to piece together a good one.

I'd go with the LS, only because it's a good deal (assuming that that engine is good...like it's not leaking 'n ****). LS is a good motor over all, it's gonna be more reliable than a 1200 dollar pieced together turbo setup on stock ints, that's for sure, and then you gotta include tuning 'n such on top of that.

I'd go with the LS, then maybe if you need more power down the road, that block will hold EASY 280whp tuned.

Also, if the block is 400, you can easily pick up the the mounts, linkage, and ECU for &lt; 300 bucks. Then you can pick up a shorter trans such as a GSR or B16 with an LS 5th. Then you'll be rockin out with your **** out, especially if you decide to boost later on. You can easily do that for 1200.

LS w/ shorter trans = FTW.

I love the SOHC boost - but the Y8's fall apart too much on boost. Don't get me wrong, you can build them, but stock they tend to fall apart (I'ma get 40 responses now by people with boosted Y8's telling me how many miles they have on their turbo setup). A stock Y8 is an unstable boost app IMO based on what I've seen. If you do do that, get a dry sump oil pump for it at least, you'll also have to use a higher octane gas due to the 9.6 + boost compression, where as the LS you can just use 87.

With your budget 'n such, I'd recommend the LS w/ a shorter trans, you can fit it in there. 400 + ~200 = 600, you can find a new trans for 600, and if you sell the LS trans for a few hundred, you can easily break even with it, or even get some money back from it...

If there's one thing I've learned about piecing together turbo setups, it's that it always costs more than you originally intended. Piecing together a good SOHC turbo setup for 1200 is a bit of a challenge. Go with the LS.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (Syndacate)

I don't really want a brand new sound system, just wanna replace my crackling speakers. I can get a head unit for 50 bucks, speakers for 30, and I haven't looked into how much a bazooka tube will cost.

The problem with the turbo kit idea is that I get a different answer every person I ask about how much it will cost me. If it is gonna cost 1500, then obviously the creature comfort stuff would have to be put off til later.

As for getting the mounts, linkage and ECU for under 300, thats another one of those depends on who you ask things. The guy that I would be getting it from said the mounts alone will cost $400. I guess if I can figure out actual prices of everything, I will be bale to make up my mind.

I figure if I boosted this motor I will prolly just swap a GSR into the sol after awhile. I guess maybe I'm just scared I'll miss my Vtech with an LS, , lol.

Oh and it doesn't matter what I do to the del sol, I'll never be able to rock out with my **** out lol
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Z6, yeah, Y8 oil pumps fail on turbo, I've seen it too many times, don't boost a Y8, it's not stable unless built with a different (preferably dry sump) oil pump.

I also got some more bad news for you, you're not gonna get an entire turbo kit, all new sound system, new tint, head units, and subs for 1200 bucks.

The turbo kit alone will cost you ~1500 to piece together a good one.

I'd go with the LS, only because it's a good deal (assuming that that engine is good...like it's not leaking 'n ****). LS is a good motor over all, it's gonna be more reliable than a 1200 dollar pieced together turbo setup on stock ints, that's for sure, and then you gotta include tuning 'n such on top of that.

I'd go with the LS, then maybe if you need more power down the road, that block will hold EASY 280whp tuned.

Also, if the block is 400, you can easily pick up the the mounts, linkage, and ECU for &lt; 300 bucks. Then you can pick up a shorter trans such as a GSR or B16 with an LS 5th. Then you'll be rockin out with your **** out, especially if you decide to boost later on. You can easily do that for 1200.

LS w/ shorter trans = FTW.

I love the SOHC boost - but the Y8's fall apart too much on boost. Don't get me wrong, you can build them, but stock they tend to fall apart (I'ma get 40 responses now by people with boosted Y8's telling me how many miles they have on their turbo setup). A stock Y8 is an unstable boost app IMO based on what I've seen. If you do do that, get a dry sump oil pump for it at least, you'll also have to use a higher octane gas due to the 9.6 + boost compression, where as the LS you can just use 87.

With your budget 'n such, I'd recommend the LS w/ a shorter trans, you can fit it in there. 400 + ~200 = 600, you can find a new trans for 600, and if you sell the LS trans for a few hundred, you can easily break even with it, or even get some money back from it...

If there's one thing I've learned about piecing together turbo setups, it's that it always costs more than you originally intended. Piecing together a good SOHC turbo setup for 1200 is a bit of a challenge. Go with the LS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

flat out if you researched more, y8s dont fail that often especially on lower boost apps. not to mention that for the amount of cash into the ls swap the y8 on boost would be faster period. and later, instead of swapping in a gsr which would still be slower n/a than a boosted d, you could build the d's internals and boost more. but i do agree with kits final costs being more than the original amount you intended to spend... usually in auxillary costs like tuning, wideband, etc etc. really i cant recommend either one right off because im not sure if you want the quick power now or later. all i can say is boost for power now, swap for power later in time.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (hatchnideas)

Thanks for all the input. I guess what it comes down to is me doing the research and finding out just how much each route is gonna be. Altho, it seems that turbo'ing the d will cost more, i think it might be worth it to me. Even though I have seen the LS do pretty good for itself in a CRX, I can't get over 1200 dollars for 15 hp. Also, since it is my daily driver, I'm not gonna go buck wild with the boost. I don't wanna blow my **** up. As far as I understand, I can run it on 8 lbs of boost and that will make the difference I'm lookin for, w/o messin my car up. Altho, as usual I could be wrong. I tend to listen to a lot of ppl who don't know what they're talkin about. That's why I finally decided to sign up on here. Figure ya'll might know a lil better than I do
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo D16y8 vs LS Swap (hatchnideas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchnideas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

flat out if you researched more, y8s dont fail that often especially on lower boost apps. not to mention that for the amount of cash into the ls swap the y8 on boost would be faster period. and later, instead of swapping in a gsr which would still be slower n/a than a boosted d, you could build the d's internals and boost more. but i do agree with kits final costs being more than the original amount you intended to spend... usually in auxillary costs like tuning, wideband, etc etc. really i cant recommend either one right off because im not sure if you want the quick power now or later. all i can say is boost for power now, swap for power later in time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen it too many times, Y8's fail a lot unless built up. A lot more than JDM D15B and D16Z6's do. Yes, the Y8 would be faster, but it'd be less reliable, and the chance of him getting the entire setup together for 1200? Unlikely.

An LS swap with a shorter trans will give you some nice kick, LS + B16 trans will take out a B16. That'll fit 100% perfectly into his budget. Then, later on down the road, next year or something, he has 3k or so - boost it.

LS-T is one of the best and most reliable setups I've ever seen as far as Honda boost goes.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryangirl444
Thanks for all the input. I guess what it comes down to is me doing the research and finding out just how much each route is gonna be. Altho, it seems that turbo'ing the d will cost more, i think it might be worth it to me. Even though I have seen the LS do pretty good for itself in a CRX, I can't get over 1200 dollars for 15 hp. Also, since it is my daily driver, I'm not gonna go buck wild with the boost. I don't wanna blow my **** up. As far as I understand, I can run it on 8 lbs of boost and that will make the difference I'm lookin for, w/o messin my car up. Altho, as usual I could be wrong. I tend to listen to a lot of ppl who don't know what they're talkin about. That's why I finally decided to sign up on here. Figure ya'll might know a lil better than I do
8 lbs is variable HP based on the size of the turbo.

Though who cares about HP? Yes, it's only a 15hp gain at the fly, but it puts out almost as much torque as the GSR, that's why it kicks so much ***, especially with a shorter trans. It'd fit 100x better into ur 1200 budget than a boosted Y8 would. Plus, like I said before, Y8's crap out more than other D series blocks under boost, and if you're not building it, it'll probably crap out anyway.

You're better off getting the LS with a shorter trans (which will all fit into your budget), then later on down the road, if you don't like it, you can add nitrous or a turbo, and you'll hold more on stock internals than you ever could on a Y8.

I don't give a expletive how good you claim you are at tuning and engine building, aftermarket turbo setups are ALWAYS less reliable than stock motor on stock ECU. Especially if you have to cheap out on some of the parts b/c you have a $1200 budget. You can whoop B16's and almost hold your ground against GSR's with that setup, and since it's stock, it's a lot more stable. Then you can boost the block next year and hold 280whp perfectly safe on stock internals - never removing the engine. I say it's perfect for what you're working with.

If you had 2k or 2500 for this project, I'd say go for the turbo, because with that kinda budget, you know you can get all the ends wrapped up. Though if you're getting a great deal on this LS and it's in good running condition, I'd change the seals (valve cover, exhaust manifold, distributor, intake manifold, throttle body, head gasket, etc.) and slap that bitch in with a shorter transmission. That can easily be done after buying the B series mounts and shifter linkage for 1200 if you buy your parts right.

Basically what it comes down to is a 1200 dollar turbo build won't hold up as well in the long run as an all motor swap, especially on a motor that's got oil lubrication flaws from the factory. I wouldn't dream of boosting a Y8 unless I had a dry sump or Z6 oil pump.

Oh yeah, and here's another fact, due to the torque having a direct correlation with HP, you're gonna pull on somebody's turbo D16 off the line anyways, especially if you're rocking a B16 trans. he'll have you when boost starts to kick in, but you really won't be that far behind when you compare naturally aspirated hp/tq. curves to those of a turbocharger.

Throw a 50 shot of nitrous on that setup (which the block will hold 100%) and you'll cook that turbo D16, if you're concerned about "which is faster." - Then next year, or whenever you get ~2500, 3k - BOOST.

My friend's daily driver is his LS Integra (motor built, lower comp pistons, forged rods, ARP head studs, etc.) and it's pushing about 402whp, probably more since he just changed the cams out (though hasn't tuned it).

LS-T is the upgraded version of turbo D16. At least if you have the LS w/ a shorter trans and maybe a 50 shot of spray, you can have the speed you want, with the reliability that a $1200 turbo setup WON'T have, and you'll have a nice platform to lay down ~300whp safely on boost if you want to in the next year or so.

Boost is good, but it can also be dangerous. An aftermarket kit makes it less reliable, simple as that, I don't care how much you argue, you can't get the same life out of an aftermarket turbo motor than you can a stock Honda/Acura motor.

****, my friend boosted his '00 Y8 with an internal gate, ran it on the dyno, spiked past 12lbs (he was running a smaller turbo), shot up higher than **** and he slung a rod. That wouldn't have happened if he had just a stock motor in there. Though again that's the reason an internally gated setup isn't smart. Though an externally gated setup is more expensive. You'll never get it in there w/o cutting corners on certain parts on a 1.2k budget.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Again, thanks for all the input. I have decided that it will be best for me and my car if I wait until I have saved up and I don't have to worry about budget shopping. In a dream world, next year, I will swap an LS or a GSR in. and eventually I might boost that. But I'm gonna stick to the small stuff with the y8, header, exhaust, and interior stuff for my daily pleasure

Oh and btw, I'm a girl. Just so you know. No biggie, I get the he thing a lot, kinda comes with being a girl named ryan I guess.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM
MDM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an LS with all internals if interested
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM

Boosted D FTW!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mini-me-power)

I picked up a complete LS swap with a B16 trans for 800. PS, AC, axels, ecu, harness, mounts, throttle cable etc. The motors are out there, you just have to look for them. And if you went LS you could sell your D16y8 complete and make money back. That right there would take off $400 easy.