Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo on a D series automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on a D series automatic

can you do it? I had a volvo with an auto turbo & it was nice to get a lil more power. with this civic ('00 EX) can you do it? I dont want a manual. will a turbo on an automatic work & will it damage the engine or shorten its life?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on a D series automatic

Turbocharging an engine with an auto tranny is the same as a manual. Engine life shouldn't be affected if it is already healthy, running low boost, and a good tune.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

I am getting ready to turbo my auto. Only reason I am boosting it is because it is a auto.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sp00ledbseries
I am getting ready to turbo my auto. Only reason I am boosting it is because it is a auto.
If you don't want an auto and want more power, you should consider a swap...

Converted my EG hatch from auto to manual. Not that bad.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM

I have to have auto so my wife can drive it also. We only have one car at the moment
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sp00ledbseries
I have to have auto so my wife can drive it also. We only have one car at the moment
I figured as much when you mentioned not converting. I was referring to sp00ledbseries's statement.

GL OP
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iliv2xlr8
Turbocharging an engine with an auto tranny is the same as a manual. Engine life shouldn't be affected if it is already healthy, running low boost, and a good tune.
These are all more or less true statements. However you missed a couple of important points:

1. Honda automatics don't take well to having more power being thrown at them then they were designed for.
2. The OPs care is an '00 meaning OBD2, meaning he'd have to backdate to OBD1 to tune, not a problem for a manual, but because of differences in how the OBD1 and OBD2 automatic transmissions are controlled it quite literally doesn't work with an automatic.

This kind of leaves you stuck with having to convert to manual.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 AM

G/L WITH THAT BUD................
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turbo a automatic. I have done it, it is a absolute must to have a BIG tranny cooler. Cars that run obd2 is a added problem however, if you really wanna do it I would look into a AEM ems.

any Q's and you can pm me.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ how quick was it compared to manual civics
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to go fast, convert your female model to a 5 speed. Honda automatics aren't exactly known to take lots of power. I guess like a 30-40hp boost wont hurt too bad, but if you want to make some good power you probably want to convert to a 5 speed. Do this not only for reliability/longevity but for the sake of knowing how to drive the damn thing.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by fastrxu
^^^ how quick was it compared to manual civics
Well to be honest right off the line it was just as brutal as any auto honda. but from a roll (even 5-10mph) it would rape a similar n/a with a manual. One time I raced my buddy's 350z from 5 to 100mph and it was dead even.

Here is a video of me racing another Crx with a B20 (no vtec) and mine was a D15b2 with a small turbo at 14psi. I got hosed off the line but I started catching up on him real hard. My best time that day was 14.85@97.6mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VRP32XO2Y
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

d-series automatic trannies wont hold much power for to long. about 150whp max and nobody makes an off the shelf high stall torque converters, you may be able to have one custom made but really its not worth it, if you wanna keep the slushbox swap to a b/h/k/f with a slushbox and more power than a turbo d slushbox will take
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by scottdh20
d-series automatic trannies wont hold much power for to long. about 150whp max and nobody makes an off the shelf high stall torque converters, you may be able to have one custom made but really its not worth it, if you wanna keep the slushbox swap to a b/h/k/f with a slushbox and more power than a turbo d slushbox will take

I can't speak for my car as my rods let go after 6 months, but the tranny outlasted the 160hp engine. I know of a couple auto D's that has been running a turbo for over 2 years now. You can get performance auto stuff at levelten.com, but it is pricey. Probably because nobody ever builds auto hondas for power. Why? because everytime you turn around there are 10 know it alls telling you why it shouldn't/can't be done. If nobody ever dared to try anything new we would not have lightbulbs,telephones or airplanes.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM

you could do it ive also seen it on a 350z before too
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GrayZee
I can't speak for my car as my rods let go after 6 months, but the tranny outlasted the 160hp engine. I know of a couple auto D's that has been running a turbo for over 2 years now. You can get performance auto stuff at levelten.com, but it is pricey. Probably because nobody ever builds auto hondas for power. Why? because everytime you turn around there are 10 know it alls telling you why it shouldn't/can't be done. If nobody ever dared to try anything new we would not have lightbulbs,telephones or airplanes.
well i wont post b.s. info, if your d crapped out w/ only 160whp you had serious tune issues. go to a d-series specipic site like d-series.org and ask bone or aquafina, there are also one many other sites, those are probably to 2 most knowledgable d-series and all honda tranny gurus you'll ever find. 99% of any 10sec or faster d-series has a bone built or aquafina built tranny. both of which will tell you that the d-series auto will loose all "reliability" after 150whp. not saying it wont hold for a while but it will let go. has there been 300whp completly stock block d-series.......yes, they didnt last long, this isnt something that people started doing a year or two ago, there were guys boosting d-series while you were in diapers. if you have a custom built auto tranny go for it, but its gonna cost alot more than its worth
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the B-series auto trans any better, in terms of compatability with turbo setups?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by scottdh20
well i wont post b.s. info, if your d crapped out w/ only 160whp you had serious tune issues. go to a d-series specipic site like d-series.org and ask bone or aquafina, there are also one many other sites, those are probably to 2 most knowledgable d-series and all honda tranny gurus you'll ever find. 99% of any 10sec or faster d-series has a bone built or aquafina built tranny. both of which will tell you that the d-series auto will loose all "reliability" after 150whp. not saying it wont hold for a while but it will let go. has there been 300whp completly stock block d-series.......yes, they didnt last long, this isnt something that people started doing a year or two ago, there were guys boosting d-series while you were in diapers. if you have a custom built auto tranny go for it, but its gonna cost alot more than its worth
Dude, where you drunk when you wrote this? Yes, my VERY high mileage d15 crapped out at 160whp. At the time that it blew I was not racing it either, I was accelerating on to a hwy, yes it was in boost, but at like 5psi maybe? Nothing compared to what it had already been through many times. When I looked inside my engine there were no signs of detonation but the bottom of the piston cracked and the wrist pin pulled out, ending the engines life. My tuner has tuned Honda's for years, including 10second cars. Furthermore, my 160whp was likely more like 180 or 190 compared to a stick. Or did you not know that autos consume hp? I have heard of d-series.org, I have been a member there for like 4 years. There is a user on there named areskzc who ran a auto at 160whp for two years and then parted out his turbo stuff, never having blown his tranny. As for me being in diapers, did they have a delorean with a flux capacitor? because when I was in diapers the d engine did not exist. In fact, I was working on cars when YOU were in diapers. So keep your promise and don't post BS.

Last edited by GrayZee; 11-05-2009 at 08:34 AM.