Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo Civic with AC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Civic with AC?

Does anyone on here have a/c in their turbo setup? Im also speaking of a higher hp civic, not an old stock motor with a small turbo. I have a GSR motor and a 10" tall inter cooler coupled to a t3/t4 60 trim turbo. I am using a spoolin performance Quick 4 A/C manifold but i just cant get the ac to get cool enough. I have a 10" hayden slim fan on the front of the condenser but it still gets to likt 350psi. I live in texas so heat is a big prob but how did you guys solve this prob?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Civic with AC? (EJ8 GSR-T)

bump. because this man really needs help. it's hot as ***** this summer.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

windows down... or get an alt DD ... bike or w/e...... ac is manditory in texas imho
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Civic with AC? (JdelMsolG)

http://www.tunerheadquarters.com
http://www.full-race.com
Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after my install, i discovered all my freon leaked out. i had put a couple holes in the condenser. jb weld will fix them. i have a custom miniram manifold and t3/t4 putting down 330ish.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 2.3 (f23a1) in my civic and i have AC and live in AZ.. and want to put a turbo in it someday..... anyway... what i did is put 2 high output fans in... one pull 12" fan and made a custom mount so i could mount it where my old OEM fan was and one push fan that is 10" and wired them to relays so they run 12volts not 10.5 volts if you use the stock relay... PM me if you want more info
Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Iceman05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iceman05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after my install, i discovered all my freon leaked out. i had put a couple holes in the condenser. jb weld will fix them. i have a custom miniram manifold and t3/t4 putting down 330ish.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats pretty much what happened to me, so i got another condenser and now there are no leaks, but the condenser just gets way too hot. I am going to get a pic and show you. Right now i have a 10" pusher on front, and i think a 12" puller in the back would do the trick, only prob is that i dont think it will fit.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EJ8 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats pretty much what happened to me, so i got another condenser and now there are no leaks, but the condenser just gets way too hot. I am going to get a pic and show you. Right now i have a 10" pusher on front, and i think a 12" puller in the back would do the trick, only prob is that i dont think it will fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think 2 are needed. Just make sure the one you have is strong and in perfect working order.. Check the ac system pressure. Mine was abnormally high and could constantly kick off the compressor. It wouldn't turn on for long. Turned out my condensor was clogged and had to be replaced. When the AC place saw the high pressure, they immediately said "your condensor is clogged." Once I replaced it, BEAUTIFUL!

If I stick a thermometer in my vent, it reads 32 to 35 degrees. That's figgin cold! My issue right now that I have is that I have my heater core disconnected so I have no heat. My AC gets so cold that I'm screwed at times. There's nothing to control the temperature. It's basically super cold air or no air at all. I can set my ac to fresh air and put it on the number 1 setting but that isn't enough. Proper insulation in the car makes a difference too.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

Hmm sounds kinda like mine. Did the system get really hot/high pressured? Because mine works for about three maybe four min then its gets to maybe 325psi and kicks the compressor off....it also freking hot at that point in time. Did yours work at all while the compressor was plugged?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it worked with it clogged (I should be saying partially clogged) and had the exact same symptoms as you. Reason it heats up is because the compressor is compressing and if the condensor is clogged (not completely but partially) then the freon will not flow freely and just cause extra pressure. More pressure = more heat. Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to jump the compressor and have it on manually. You don't want your system to explode. The system has a pressure cut off switch. If it's too pressurized, it kicks off the compressor.

If you want, you can just take it to any AC shop and have them give you a free estimate. I'm almost willing to bet it's a partially clogged condensor. And if you do replace your condensor yourself, make sure you evacuate the system of all air. I recommend taking it to an AC expert since they will know for sure. Estimates are almost always free. I live in FL so I know heat sucks *****!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well see i just replaced the condenser. I put some holes in it and replaced it with a brand new factory OEM condenser. Thats kinda why im wondering exactly what happened. I replaced the condenser and evacted the system, filled it up and still no go. Brought it to and AC shop and they checked the levels, said its all good but that the condenser is getting to hot. Blamed it on my turbo, which is definitely a possibility i just need to cross out all other possibilities before i jump into total surgery on the front end of the car.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need 2 fans i have 2 becouse i live in tucson 110 112 somedays and the more you can cool things off the lower the psi will be the colder it will get... if you are using 134 you want the low psi around 32 45 i could only get mine to 36 psi and i am blowing out 43deg air my ac system is all custom
Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you change your dryer/evaporator my ac was not working and i changed mine an my ac works 100 times better
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.3lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.3lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you change your dryer/evaporator my ac was not working and i changed mine an my ac works 100 times better</TD></TR></TABLE>

That too because either the condensor or evaporator could be clogged. We've ruled out the condensor, so there's not much else to look at but the evaporator. They are both radiators. They can become clogged (with what? I have no clue.. but they do) I completely forgot about the evaporator (deedeedee me)

Here's something to try. What will it prove? not sure.. but it's how I found out my fan wasn't working how it should. It was so weak I could stop it from spinning with my finger. Turn on the AC at full blast, and have a friend spray the condensor with a hose. Keep the hose spraying for about 10 seconds or however long you want. See if the air gets colder or not. Again, I'm not sure what it could prove but at least we know it will elminate the compressor. The air will come out colder on every car if you spray the condensor with a hose but what you want to check is to see if there is a big difference in the air that comes out of the vents.

If the compressor still keeps cutting off with the hose being sprayed, for SUREEEEEEEEEE something is clogged. If it works just fine, something could still be clogged but running under lower pressures because of cold water.

Somewhere I read that anytime an AC system is opened, the dryer should be replaced. They act somewhat of a filter/de-moisturizer. I had changed my dryer and expansion valve when I had to buy a new compressor. Removing/Installing the dryer sucked for me. It's like stuck down there.

Modified by sageuvagony at 5:35 PM 8/9/2007
Old 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true you can do the same thing with a fan from your house just put it in front of the car and let it blow at the front of the car the AC psi will go down the whe car should fet colder that is how i found i needed 2 fans and that i needed to hook them up to relays.. and i was told the same thing "anytime an AC system is opened, the dryer should be replaced" i got one from honda for like $40
Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to try the extra fans/water after work tomorrow. I did replace the dryer. Only with an autozone one but i dont think that should matter
Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool hope it works for you.. but you might need more power to your fans
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.3lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true you can do the same thing with a fan from your house just put it in front of the car and let it blow at the front of the car the AC psi will go down the whe car should fet colder that is how i found i needed 2 fans and that i needed to hook them up to relays.. and i was told the same thing "anytime an AC system is opened, the dryer should be replaced" i got one from honda for like $40</TD></TR></TABLE>

A home fan may not be strong enough. Many of us have stuck our finger in home fans by mistake and went "err" Try sticking your finger in a condensor fan and you'll be saying more than just "err"
Old 08-09-2007, 11:26 PM

good question, e.wa gets super hot too, i'm hating my cx without a/c. i'm looking to go gsr turbo eventually as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (341)

Update: So i took off my hood and took apart the front end of my car and hooked up the fan directly to a 12v supply. Drove around at about 35mph to see if it could cool enough. No luck, i tried water over the condenser, no luck. So i turned it on and let it run for about 30 seconds, the condenser gets super f'ing hot, then i turn the ac off and in about 15 or 20 seconds its cool enough to touch. So im kinda stumped. I am guessing now that its a clog, but where? I kinda feel like it could be the evaporator or whatever it is that inside the car, because when im in the car with the a/c "on" there is a constant hissing noise. You know the pshhhh you usually hear when you turn the a/d off? Its that noise but constant.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the condensor is becoming hot from heat in the engine bay itself and the heat off the turbo/manifold?

Or possibly a clog?

If that is the case (engine bay temps), is there anyway you could fab a piece of sheet metal to somehow block the heat? Or maybe a way to redirect air from your front bumper via and air duct and some heater hose?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump. because this man really needs help. it's hot as ***** this summer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL...this is the best thing I've heard.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Civic with AC? (gabebauman)

Well i resorted to plan b. Went out and bought an air compressor (wanted one anyway) and took apart all the lines and such to run air though (so find a clog). No luck anywhere....things seem to flow just fine at 80psi. Only thing i noticed was that there was oil in the lines and espically in the evaporator. I took the firewall fittings off and just blew air through them...maybe the next step is to take out the evaporator? Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everythign is in spec now, and the AC kicks on for a few min then shuts off...any ideas?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah get your low side to 32-45psi if you run it to long at a high psi you will burn out you low pressure switch

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic with AC?