Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo civic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo civic?

On a soch vtec what kinda difference wouldi be lookin at between a t25 and a t3?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo civic? (userdead626)

With a T25 you'd blow your engine up in 1 week, a T3 you'd blow it up in 1 day. But I'm sure you're only gonna run 6 lbs of boost, which won't even be worth the money you'll have into a full turbo setup. Just raise the comp with bigger pistons, put some Crower Stg 2 cams and the full valvetrain in the head, and you'll notice A very nice difference, and above all much more reliable. Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo civic? (rfoster03)

from what i hear...its all in the tuning...t25 is faster spool up...less top end and t3 is a slower spool with better top end
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
mike93eh

if youre just gonna run a low boost, then get the t25. also check out the forced induction forum.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A t25 has great spool up but it is extremely small and doesn't move enough air to do much of anything on the top end. They came stock on 2g dsm's and it was pretty useless by 3rd gear. A t3 will spool slightly slower but depending on turbo specs can move a nice amount of air up top.

As far as "blowing up in a day", you can do that na with abuse. Spend your money wisely and get proper tuning and you can run forever boosted. Buy a bunch of crap and think more power is only a couple of clicks away on a boost controller and you will be replacing pistons very quickly.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (slodsm)

since we takling about turbos here

what about a t3/t4??
Old 08-29-2005, 02:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With a T25 you'd blow your engine up in 1 week, a T3 you'd blow it up in 1 day. But I'm sure you're only gonna run 6 lbs of boost, which won't even be worth the money you'll have into a full turbo setup. Just raise the comp with bigger pistons, put some Crower Stg 2 cams and the full valvetrain in the head, and you'll notice A very nice difference, and above all much more reliable. Just my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your an idiot. please stop answering threads.

thats a really broad question, is the block going to be stock, which block is it.. which t25, t3 is it.. i would suggest you do less dreaming, open ended questions.. and study more, and find out what you want.

for the idiotic response, t25 = slighty smaller, maybe faster spooling, but less power, t3, more power can be extracted, more spool up time,
Old 08-29-2005, 05:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by userdead626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a soch vtec what kinda difference wouldi be lookin at between a t25 and a t3?</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crower Stg 2 cams and the full valvetrain in the head</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GripStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your an idiot. please stop answering threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Turbo civic? (SpydiR)

You can piece together a nice turbo kit for a couple hundred bucks. if you leave your block stock, then you could probably get away with 10lbs of boost, IF it is tuned properly, if not six is probably your highest. If you build the block you can run much higher boost levels and it would probably be a little more reliable in the long run. Either turbo will work fine, but if you are going to build the block go with the bigger turbo. But the secret to stock internals with forced induction is good tuning. Check out the forced induction forum alot of info is post their.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and make sure you get a wideband if youre gonna tune it yourself.
Oh wait, ive got a wideband on ebay right now...
PM me if youre interested. lol
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

A d16 block. I'm an idiot for saying not to turbo it. Come on. Unless he sleeves it, you know that the cylinder walls in a D16 are probably the worst for forced induction. I've seen guys blow their engines with a JRSC at a stock pulley which is like 6 lbs. He wanted to know T3/T4, and I say it'd be cheaper and more efficient to keep it NA.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (rfoster03)

Check out http://www.turbod16.com
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A d16 block. I'm an idiot for saying not to turbo it. Come on. Unless he sleeves it, you know that the cylinder walls in a D16 are probably the worst for forced induction. I've seen guys blow their engines with a JRSC at a stock pulley which is like 6 lbs. He wanted to know T3/T4, and I say it'd be cheaper and more efficient to keep it NA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, yea you find me a n/a civic sohc that does better than a 8lb turbo setup pushing 13 second quater miles, i'm all set with running n/a sohc with a 15 second qt. You enjoy your 15 second ride thow
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: (GripStar)

just like everyone else is saying they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I probably go with a T25
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (ETA_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ETA_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just like everyone else is saying they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I probably go with a T25</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on what he plans on doing with it. If he wants big power, build the block and go with a T3 or T66 or something to that effect, but if he wants a moderately fast car that is reliable and has good response, then go with something like a T25.

As said about 9876567854 times before, tuning is the key to success.

-Shane
Old 08-29-2005, 02:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A d16 block. I'm an idiot for saying not to turbo it. Come on. Unless he sleeves it, you know that the cylinder walls in a D16 are probably the worst for forced induction. I've seen guys blow their engines with a JRSC at a stock pulley which is like 6 lbs. He wanted to know T3/T4, and I say it'd be cheaper and more efficient to keep it NA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard that B20 blocks were worse because of the thin walls between cylinders, but what do I know.

If your buddys blew motors pushing 6psi on a JRSC they probably didn't do something right, considering Jackson Racing's sold quite a few kits and a lot of people have had success running them.

Right now I'm running about 4-5psi (semi-tuned basemap for the moment) w/ a TD04 and its running quite nice.

What motor do you have? I know D16, but is it a Z6, Y7, or Y8?

Like the other guys have said, what turbo you get will depend more on what your HP goals are and whether or not you plan on building the block and pushing a lot of boost.

A built D lower end will probably run you about $2000. $1000 for sleeving, 400/500 for pistons/rings and 400 or so for rods.

Do that you can push about as much boost as your heart desires as long as your going to get it tuned.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before puting it on get pistons so u don't blow your motor and go with T25 better for the streets to blowoff on some one if your thaniking about doing drag go with T3 for more Hp
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo civic? (crazyclown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyclown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before puting it on get pistons so u don't blow your motor and go with T25 better for the streets to blowoff on some one if your thaniking about doing drag go with T3 for more Hp </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha well yeah i dont need a drag car...this is my daily driver but i just really want more power.....i love my civic its a d16y8...except for the power id never trade it for anythin! i think ima go with the t25 since i allready have it in my posession and within the next few years anyways i dont plan to build up the motor
Old 08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you sure are an idiot. there are lots of people on here running 8-10 lbs on stock single cam motors with well over 100k miles on it.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by userdead626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha well yeah i dont need a drag car...this is my daily driver but i just really want more power.....i love my civic its a d16y8...except for the power id never trade it for anythin! i think ima go with the t25 since i allready have it in my posession and within the next few years anyways i dont plan to build up the motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, if you're not planning on a high-horsepower build I'd stick with the T25, and since you already have the T25 you might as well use it.

My DD w/ only 5psi or so is much more fun to drive. Makes merging or catching up with a friend much easier. The quick spool of a small turbo is great.

If you're just going w/ a small turbo on low boost I wouldn't blow the money on pistons/rods/ect. Instead I would buy the necessary hardware (turbo ****), chipping stuff, and spend that saved money from built internals on tuning.

$1500-2500 on a stock motor could have you turbo'd and tuned.

Make sure that if you use a program like uber you have the partial throttle tuned since its a DD and that's where most of the driving is going to be done.

edit: Please ignore that whack-tard crazyclown or whatever. He is making all of HT stupider by just being a member.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (whal3_p3nis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whal3_p3nis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sure are an idiot. there are lots of people on here running 8-10 lbs on stock single cam motors with well over 100k miles on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sshhh..... the B-Series Bandwagon will hear you. don't you know that d series are the weakest, least power producing engines honda ever built!

....geez
Old 09-03-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sshhh..... the B-Series Bandwagon will hear you. don't you know that d series are the weakest, least power producing engines honda ever built!

....geez</TD></TR></TABLE>
uh, i am part of the B series band wagon. heehee.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 AM

the d series sleeves will hold just as much as a b series. i've been turbo'd on my y7 w/ a 13g for 42k+ miles stock bottom end. take an otherwise 90whp engine and push it over 200whp on stock internal=do it!! just make sure it's tuned right and take care of it.

as for folks blowing up their sohc w/ jrsc...no intercooling and proper tuning will do in any engine if not taken care of properly. think about it...such a erroneous generalizaiton. i've heard of b series blowing on low boost...it must be because b series are weak...lol. duh!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With a T25 you'd blow your engine up in 1 week, a T3 you'd blow it up in 1 day. But I'm sure you're only gonna run 6 lbs of boost, which won't even be worth the money you'll have into a full turbo setup. Just raise the comp with bigger pistons, put some Crower Stg 2 cams and the full valvetrain in the head, and you'll notice A very nice difference, and above all much more reliable. Just my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he wants to make more than 115whp...

i would personally go with the t25. d series engines dont require a large turbo at all. small turbo = faster spool and it will be just fine for 6-8 psi. but as always make sure to get some kinda fuel managment.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:10 AM

i had d16 turbo with 172000 miles on it it ran fine but I sold the turbo and other stuff because i needed a new motor but got a better deal on a b series than on a d

Quick Reply: Turbo civic?