Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo or b series swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 turbo or b series swap?

i have a 94 civic ex automatic, can someone tell me which would be the least headaches and have better performance? and what would i be looking at cost wise?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: turbo or b series swap?

Boosting an automatic is a waste of time. Swap.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would i get much power increase if i was to boost automatic? what if i man swapped first?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could swap it to a manual but just getting a B-series swap of some kind will be more reliable and have less headaches than going boost. I would recommend going with a b18c1 or c5 if you can afford it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5spd swap will be cheaper than a motor swap or turbocharging your car and you'll feel a difference. Small steps are still steps forward.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4cylfeind
You could swap it to a manual but just getting a B-series swap of some kind will be more reliable and have less headaches than going boost. I would recommend going with a b18c1 or c5 if you can afford it.
okay thank you, would i have to tranny swap too?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmurphy
okay thank you, would i have to tranny swap too?
Sounds like you really dont know much about what you have and should prob do months of research and reading before you attempt anything like this.

To answer your question though....no your tranny will not work. You have a d series tranny...and the b18c is a B series.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foo fighters
5spd swap will be cheaper than a motor swap or turbocharging your car and you'll feel a difference. Small steps are still steps forward.
Yes the manual swap would be cheaper. However, the OP asked which would have the least headaches. If they turbo their engine and take the cheap route (which is as it seems) they WILL have issues. Turbo'ing the car and swapping it to a b-series will end up costing relativly the same. Again, assuming the cheapest route is taken.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by harmonator84
Sounds like you really dont know much about what you have and should prob do months of research and reading before you attempt anything like this.

To answer your question though....no your tranny will not work. You have a d series tranny...and the b18c is a B series.
youre right, thats why im on here, learning as much i can, im not rushing into anything just yet, im making plans for the summer time on what i want to do, if anything, and which is least expensive, a complete turbo or tranny and motor swap?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4cylfeind
Yes the manual swap would be cheaper. However, the OP asked which would have the least headaches. If they turbo their engine and take the cheap route (which is as it seems) they WILL have issues. Turbo'ing the car and swapping it to a b-series will end up costing relativly the same. Again, assuming the cheapest route is taken.
assume i turbo it correctly and take care of upgrading everything that needs to be upgraded in the engine to sufficiently support the turbo and keep the car healthy, what kind of problems could i have?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmurphy
youre right, thats why im on here, learning as much i can, im not rushing into anything just yet, im making plans for the summer time on what i want to do, if anything, and which is least expensive, a complete turbo or tranny and motor swap?
Well youre going about it all wrong. There is already 23098308 threads posted asking this same questions. Click search in the top right corner. You will find em.

Nobody is going to be able to answer this question for you and everyone will have a different idea on which would be best for you. Just read, read, and then read some more.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no offense op but you dont seem like your the most mechanically inclined person. imo i say and highly recommend just saving and start piecing together a gsr swap with a skunk2 intake manifold. no matter how much you baby a turbo motor nothing will out last an oem stock motor as long as you keep up the maintainence
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
The Grumpiest

You want an idea on what it takes to turbo a car? Click the link in my sig. For an engine swap check the FAQs. For prices on swaps check HMotorsonline.com-http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/

Firstly. Stop asking generic questions and research, research, research.
Secondly. Set real goals.
Thirdly. Set a budget.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by harmonator84
Well youre going about it all wrong. There is already 23098308 threads posted asking this same questions. Click search in the top right corner. You will find em.

Nobody is going to be able to answer this question for you and everyone will have a different idea on which would be best for you. Just read, read, and then read some more.
thanks, i plan on it
Old 03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyosoeg6
no offense op but you dont seem like your the most mechanically inclined person. imo i say and highly recommend just saving and start piecing together a gsr swap with a skunk2 intake manifold. no matter how much you baby a turbo motor nothing will out last an oem stock motor as long as you keep up the maintainence
none taken, im still learning, and i have my people that are mechanically inclined lol im just trying to learn and decide what i want to do and then they can help me with anything i need as far as the hands on ykno, im just researching is all, but i understand where you are coming from
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You want an idea on what it takes to turbo a car? Click the link in my sig. For an engine swap check the FAQs. For prices on swaps check HMotorsonline.com-http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/

Firstly. Stop asking generic questions and research, research, research.
Secondly. Set real goals.
Thirdly. Set a budget.
alrite, ill check it out, but id hardly consider my questions generic bc im genuinely asking a question to see peoples input, im new to all this, im asking questions in addition to my reading and researching, and before i set my goals, i want to find out all the information to decide, thank you for your post though
Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first of all the ex motor isn't a terrible motor. i mean to save money you can get an ex tranny and make sure it is a ex tranny because you want the gear ratio to be short. then you can go from there. otherwise my other advise is sell it, down what you get from that and get a rsx type s. dont blow money on an integra motor. (b18c1 or b18c5) you're gonna blow straight up 3k+ to swap that. the rsx s come withs 200 hp 130 ft/tq leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission it's not even a 5 speed it's a 6 speed! lol. and you got top notch factory suspension. bose stereo, and lastly a bomb *** motor. all you need then is kpro tuning and yeah.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Both are going be a headache.

Turboing it will be easy, BUT, how will you tune it?
Are you aware that you can't tune a auto?

Swapping a auto B is doable, but will be a pain in the ***.

The easiest way is to do a 5spd swap.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i started with the same platform except mine was a lx. i did a 5 speed swap and a ls swap. with a gutted interior and stock motor besides an intake, i could beat up on a bolt on tsx's and stock 06+ si's.

overall swap wasnt hard at all just time consuming because i wanted to do it right the first time.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

swap to a manual and turbo the motor. you can make 200WHP on ur stock block with no issues. And you will walk all over B series kids.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjohn316
first of all the ex motor isn't a terrible motor. i mean to save money you can get an ex tranny and make sure it is a ex tranny because you want the gear ratio to be short. then you can go from there. otherwise my other advise is sell it, down what you get from that and get a rsx type s. dont blow money on an integra motor. (b18c1 or b18c5) you're gonna blow straight up 3k+ to swap that. the rsx s come withs 200 hp 130 ft/tq leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission it's not even a 5 speed it's a 6 speed! lol. and you got top notch factory suspension. bose stereo, and lastly a bomb *** motor. all you need then is kpro tuning and yeah.
what? A type S is expensive. Its a different car completely. and you need alot to make it fast. Because they are pretty damn slow.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnjohn316
i like this lol sounds sick!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sell ur automatic and get a standard that would be ur cheapest performance upgrade lol
Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Boosting an automatic is a waste of time. Swap.
You know that the new GTR is turbo and it's a automatic right?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Is it a Honda?

Quick Reply: turbo or b series swap?