Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS?

I am ready to start making some serious power for street driving. I am curious which path I should take keeping in consideration that I do have an automatic transmission. I was thinking s.charging, but I don't know what else I would need under the hood. I already have installed a cold air intake, apexi N1 cat-back, and 55hp shot of zex nitrous. Any ideas for further upgrades to my car that will actually work well together with the parts that I have already will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hondachief21
Old 09-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (hondachief21)

Get rid of the auto transmission.

Seriously, to get a SOHC to go fast you really need boost, and any kind of amount that will be worthwhile will blow your auto tranny to pieces.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (BauleyCivic)

I agree. Maybe do some I/H/E for right now, but you will want to swap to a manual tranny before any serious modifying.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (hondachief21)

how does your 55 shot of NOS respond with an auto tranny? i say boost is the best way for gains on a lil SOHC ....
Old 09-01-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (murmur9)

The shift is a little longer with the spray, but i kick it off for the shift and then back open again immediately afterwards and that seems to eliminate the long shift. I have been looking for auto trans mods and TCI makes a kit that will let that trans safely handle 300 hp. Any suggestions/thoughts about going all-motor, or supercharging. I want more power in mid-range rpms.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (BauleyCivic)

I really want to keep the auto trans. No one has a fast automatic SOHC civic. What about going all motor?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachief21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really want to keep the auto trans. No one has a fast automatic SOHC civic. What about going all motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well....have fun going slow then.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachief21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The shift is a little longer with the spray, but i kick it off for the shift and then back open again immediately afterwards and that seems to eliminate the long shift. I have been looking for auto trans mods and TCI makes a kit that will let that trans safely handle 300 hp. Any suggestions/thoughts about going all-motor, or supercharging. I want more power in mid-range rpms. </TD></TR></TABLE>
The only thing that will help you in the MID range is either a turbo...(which will be super slow below 2K rpm's until it hits full boost) OR get a SC that will give you a ******* **** load of Tq and HP at a push of the pedal. (for a SOHC i might add) but to have 300 HP on your SOHC....i dont see you getting that much out of it being ''all motor'' or NA...which ever you prefer . Maybe with some boost....i see you getting an average 175hp with a JRSC.....around the same...plus or minus five hp. I donno the tq though....now if you tune it good...then you will of course get better. im just saying after bolting that **** on.

i havn't seen many people say how many hp their SOHC has....but i dont see anyone getting more than like 225hp unless you own honda and just have a straight Formula 1 4 banger.

note* your 1/4 or even track time is gonna hurt with that auto tranny

whats the best auto tranny sohc you guys have seen
Old 09-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a small turbo... T25 would work... for midrange power, though it might die out up top, then do that transmission thing thats up to 300 hp, you won't get there w/ a t25, but boost is addicting
Old 09-03-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (blackcivic44)

I think T25's are perfect Honda turbos. They are very small and responisve and are easily upgraded with parts from the T28. Like the ball bearing center cartridge.
However, the auto tranny will hurt everything you try to do with the car. It's like taxes, the more HP you make, the more the tranny will take away. Shift points will never be what you want them to be and you have very little control over what the tranny is doing. I say **** it.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:54 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachief21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am ready to start making some serious power for street driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why? Streets have speed limits, no real need for rediculous amounts of power. Besides, getting 32mpg rocks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No one has a fast automatic SOHC civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did you ever stop to think that there may be a good reason for this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about going all motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>
With an auto trans? Oh man, that's funny!
Old 09-03-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (Targa250R)

Honestly your auto will always be slow. If you turbo it someone with a B16 5spd will beat you, if you go n/a then most likely a stock 5spd D15 will hang with you/beat you, a D16 vtec will own you and you won't even be able to hang with b series cars. Swap the tranny or get a new car that's 5spd and do a swap.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:53 PM

no one has a fast auto sohc because they dont research, or ask the right questions. It can be done, I know it can. I was just looking for input from people that have expirience with making power that you dont have to rev the **** out of your car to make.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Tuning path for 2000 civic ex w/ auto trans. ANY IDEAS? (Ty_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ty_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly your auto will always be slow. If you turbo it someone with a B16 5spd will beat you, if you go n/a then most likely a stock 5spd D15 will hang with you/beat you, a D16 vtec will own you and you won't even be able to hang with b series cars. Swap the tranny or get a new car that's 5spd and do a swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
BTW I already smoke the Si's with the zex. I am just looking for more
Old 09-03-2004, 04:01 PM

well if you want something that you wont have to rev ...get a SC....you will (maybe) peel out ...out of the hole...they are an instant boost from the start. IMO you would have to get like special made gears and **** made for your autoimatic to even make it half *** good. you have loooonnnngggg gears. remember how you said it takes forever it to shift......humm
Old 09-03-2004, 11:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you want something that you wont have to rev ...get a SC....you will (maybe) peel out ...out of the hole...they are an instant boost from the start. IMO you would have to get like special made gears and **** made for your autoimatic to even make it half *** good. you have loooonnnngggg gears. remember how you said it takes forever it to shift......humm</TD></TR></TABLE>
it takes a long time to shift because the nitrous drags out the shift a little longer than stock, it is not because I have long gears , and by the way I see that as an advantage with a turbo. No time for the turbo to stop spooling, because I never have to let my foot off of the gas= no blow off= no loss of spool.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:14 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachief21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it takes a long time to shift because the nitrous drags out the shift a little longer than stock, it is not because I have long gears , and by the way I see that as an advantage with a turbo. No time for the turbo to stop spooling, because I never have to let my foot off of the gas= no blow off= no loss of spool.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Too bad most turbocharged automatic Civic EXes only run mid-high 15s . . .
Old 09-04-2004, 05:21 AM

yours always gonna have a problem unless you modify it extensively, ie. build it up and change shift points. because even if you build it and get serious power, you will have the tallest gears known to man, and it makes a huge difference. so by the time you spend the money and time building up the auto tranny, then building up the motor to keep up. you'll have spent more than an auto&gt;manual swap, engine swap, and prolly a mild turbo setup that would roll over your setup with a good driver.

believe me i had dreams like that too and they all got shot after that first low 15s pass. and each consecutive one after that.

and seriously that long gears debate has been discussed for a long time on h-t, they don't benefit boost, long gears = slower acceleration its a simple fact. longer gears help with top speed, but not acceleration.

i think the metaphor was: having longer gears is like trying to scratch your ***** by reaching behind your back.

its not that no one has done it or researched it, its just after someone researches the facts and realizes his costs, its just a matter of logic sometimes, but if you wanna go and try something then go for it....just doesn't make sense when you research it though.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:41 PM

screw the boost man. waste of money, too much lag and with stock internals your motor will never handle it with the nitrous too. i'd get the torque converter worked on and keep spraying at the track. i sprayed a 50 shot with my stock auto for awhile and ran a 9.64 in the eigth. i'm proud of this number for what it was worth.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dragman99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragman99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw the boost man. waste of money, too much lag and with stock internals your motor will never handle it with the nitrous too. i'd get the torque converter worked on and keep spraying at the track. i sprayed a 50 shot with my stock auto for awhile and ran a 9.64 in the eigth. i'm proud of this number for what it was worth. </TD></TR></TABLE>

who said he was going to be spraying as well?? and as he keeps spraying the cost of the nitrous kit lets say 350 bucks, the bottle refills 50 bucks a pop and the piston rings that start melting you could have gotten together a turbo kit that would easily beat the same car with nitrous, and its a lot more fun to drive
Old 09-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't let them bring ya down.....If I were you I would build the tranny first....Level 10 and a ton of fast automaitc cars, get an upgrade from them. After that, I would deff. build a nice turbo package for the car. I've seen some auto EX's in the low 14's before...it can be done. Good luck