Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tunin up the Del Sol. Should I spring for a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunin up the Del Sol. Should I spring for a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil?

Well after owning my Del Sol SI for about 4 years its time to do some tune up and maintenance work. This car is in near mint condition, I am the second owner, and the original owner only had it worked on at the dealer. I know how hard these del sols are to find especially ones that are in good unmodified condition, so I really want to preserve its condition. I just spent about $300 on an oem water pump and timing belt plus ngk iridium plugs and new wires, and tools needed to reset the valves. My question is should I get a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil? I always like to get a new cap and rotor when I tune up a car but would a coil be necessary? Do coils ever wear out and get weak or are they a it works or it don't work type of part? Would I see any noticeable difference in power or efficiency from replacing these parts? I am tempted to just take off the cap and clean the contacts and call it good. What should I do?

thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Tunin up the Del Sol. Should I spring for a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil?

I wouldnt bother with the coil unless you really wont it or need it. They do go out, but unless yours has is gone I would bother replaceing it.

I would do, cap,rotor.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tunin up the Del Sol. Should I spring for a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil?

my dad's 01 lude needs new cap and rotor like every year. Cleaning the contacts seemed to fix the problem temporarily, but if you want that little bit more, just replace the cap and rotor. i know when i replaced the cap and rotor on my car it made a noticeable difference. when was the last time you replaced your cap and rotor?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it actually help as far as efficiently. i remember reading something about that. its just like new vs used. what would you prefer.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never have changed the cap and rotor. I cleaned the contacts when I first bought the car 4 years and 40,000 miles ago. Its still runnin great and getting 40 MPGs. I think I will get a cap and rotor but live with my old coil. A new one would probably make it run even better but I dont think its worth $120.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

How many miles on the distributor? Its life is about 150K miles. To avoid unexpected break downs, just replace the entire distributor if the current one has 150K miles or more.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
How many miles on the distributor? Its life is about 150K miles. To avoid unexpected break downs, just replace the entire distributor if the current one has 150K miles or more.
Good to know, I remember hearing about some hondas breaking down because of problems in the distributor. My car has 108k and as far as I know its still the original distributor. So I will get a new cap and rotor, run it 40,000 more miles and then replace the whole thing.

thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 97 EX 2 door and a dx hatch, the ex threw a misfire code for awhile and then died on me after a few days of sputtering, thought it was a million other things, turned out the distributer was corroded and needed replaced, the dx just up and died on me after throwing that same code and it was the dist. again, honestly change it if you got more than 100k, or if you live in an area thats damp and rains alot