Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TunerThings EJ8 Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TunerThings EJ8 Budget Build

Coming from the Subaru world I miss boost after selling my Legacy GT... I wanted something fun to tinker on that wasn't going to break the bank so I settled on this $1000 car!

1999 Civic EJ8 with a D16Y8 and 260k miles lol.

So far I've done a few things:
-Seafoamed
-Change Plugs and Wires
-New headlights with LEDs
-Swapped studded snow tires on steelies for some funky $200 Enkei wheels with mismatched tires (got tires ready to put on)
-Put seats in -- All I can afford right now to get started were cheap bucket seats, they're generic but they work. Pain in the *** but beats not having seats.
-Removed AC
-Removed Cruise Control
-Added a valve cover breather filter

I have a TON of parts here that I bought to put on:
- D16Y8 Rebuild Kit with upgraded goodies (probably going to look for a spare block to rebuild rather than use the one in there now.. a spare motor would be nice.)
-Turbo Kit
-Steering Wheel Hub (haven't picked the wheel)
-P28 ECU
-Ostrich 2.0
-K-Tuned Sport Shifter
-New side mirrors
-New fenders
-AEM Wideband Gauge
-Pads and Rotors
-OEM Spoiler

I know there's more but can't think of it all right now... I've got a bit of a video series going on if you've got some time go and give it a watch! (Link Below)

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along -- pics coming as soon as I can get the car to sit even enough to drive to get wheels put on to drive to take some pictures LOL
Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TunerThings EJ8 Budget Build

Nice one bro, I'm also gonna delete my cruise control when I have the time as ive never used it in my life, so this is useful for me. I just replaced my valve cover with a used one for like twenty five bucks, cleaned it up myself replaced a gasket and it all good. I'll be following this thread GL
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! It was fairly straightforward, just make sure you plug that vac line if you have it -- I revved all the way out with it unplugged. Definitely scary if you aren't expecting it. Probably the worst part was removing the line from the pedal as I've got horrible claustrophobia but definitely easy and makes the bay look a lot cleaner!

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got around to installing my fenders today -- thought I would be more productive but I wasn't! They turned out great for being so inexpensive! Can't wait to paint in the next few weeks. also can't wait for booooost!

Aaaand here's an update video!
Old 10-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a while since I've updated but I've actually got into some of the meat of the build now. I've got the manifold and turbo mounted, oil feed line plumbed, intercooler mounted and piping 1/2 done... it's shaping up nicely! I gotta say I knew this manifold was going to be garbage but... this one is super jenky lol oh well.

So here's my update video for those curious!