Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up

What are the best parts to use when doing a tune-up? I am going to replace the spark plugs, wires, cap and roter, oil change....what do you used? Does it make a big difference?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Tune Up (94DOHCDELSOL)

I would also change the fuel filter. I always use Bosch plugs, for Oil I always use Castrol/Mobil 1. I've always had OEM wires on my car.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Tune Up (JDM-EJ1)

Well honda say's NGK plugs and wires are the best parts to put on your honda and i'm sure several people would agree, also Denso iridium plugs are pretty good and also recommended, thats the ones i've got. Cap and rotor a must. Do the fuel filter like JDM-EJ1 said. Oil change with oil of choice(i use valvoline, mobil is good too),
everyone has there own preferance on oil so get something you like. Also try to get a fuel system flush/cleaner to keep the pump and lines from getting clogged up. If i forgot anything someone please add.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Tune Up (ssbpturbohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ssbpturbohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well honda say's NGK plugs and wires are the best parts to put on your honda and i'm sure several people would agree, also Denso iridium plugs are pretty good and also recommended, thats the ones i've got. Cap and rotor a must. Do the fuel filter like JDM-EJ1 said. Oil change with oil of choice(i use valvoline, mobil is good too),
everyone has there own preferance on oil so get something you like. Also try to get a fuel system flush/cleaner to keep the pump and lines from getting clogged up. If i forgot anything someone please add. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely, also change the tranny fluid and filter. Check the battery cables, get the alternator tested. Make sure all the fluids are where they're supposed to be. Do a CEL search, that will tell you if you have any electrical problems with your car (sensors and what not).
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 AM

Maybe its just me but I would go with factory dealership parts. I dont trust auto parts stores parts. Dealership parts might be more expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94DOHCDELSOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are the best parts to use when doing a tune-up? I am going to replace the spark plugs, wires, cap and roter, oil change....what do you used? Does it make a big difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when was the last tune up done on your Del Sol?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (fprunner03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fprunner03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe its just me but I would go with factory dealership parts. I dont trust auto parts stores parts. Dealership parts might be more expensive but you get what you pay for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not always true. Despite they are OEM. Aftermarket brake boosters, brake pads, etc can sometimes be better.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:00 AM

I bought it about 6 months ago...and replaced the timing belt/water pump...I was going to do the tune up then, but didn't have the time...so I have never done one...and don't know when the previous owner did
Old 04-06-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: (94DOHCDELSOL)

Whenever I buy a car, I always replace the all the belts/pump unless the previous owner can provide reciepts showing that the work was done.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HONDA OEM PARTS the best even more if you have the car mostly stock, don't belive the hipe sometimes some aftermarket might even hurt HP (thick wires, split spark plugs, ect.) plugs ngk's work just fine ngk iridium plugs, what i have and work awsome for me. and always use mobil 1 tri-synthetic oil hands down best oil out there. and yeah do the fuel filter as well, distributor cap/rotor,wires,plugs, clean airfilter (if you have k&n or something like that) and obously oil filter, change tranny fluid (not nessesary but good thing to do), flush coolant
Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune Up (gabspeed)

Go OEM.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune Up (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Definitely, also change the tranny fluid and filter. Check the battery cables, get the alternator tested. Make sure all the fluids are where they're supposed to be. Do a CEL search, that will tell you if you have any electrical problems with your car (sensors and what not).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondas don't have a tranny filter especially if it is a manual transmission. If it's an automatic, it has a screen and you'd have to take the tranny case apart to even get to it. That's why the interval for changing your tranny fluid is so low for autos.

Replace the dist. cap, rotor button, plugs, ignition coil, and the fuel filter and that should do you just right. I got all of this off except for the plugs, I got them from Advanced Auto Parts and they were NGKs, from ManHonda.com and it only cost me like $130 shipped for OEM Honda parts!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HONDA OEM PARTS the best even more if you have the car mostly stock, don't belive the hipe sometimes some aftermarket might even hurt HP (thick wires, split spark plugs, ect.) plugs ngk's work just fine ngk iridium plugs, what i have and work awsome for me. and always use mobil 1 tri-synthetic oil hands down best oil out there. and yeah do the fuel filter as well, distributor cap/rotor,wires,plugs, clean airfilter (if you have k&n or something like that) and obously oil filter, change tranny fluid (not nessesary but good thing to do), flush coolant </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah spending 6bucks a quart on oil is always a smart decision.

No flame intended here, but do you have anything to back that up...cause I do.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Tune Up (VtecAddict96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecAddict96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No flame intended here, but do you have anything to back that up...cause I do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, 6 dollars for a quart of oil is expensive, although I can get Mobil 1 here for 3.50 at my local Wal-Mart. The last thing you want to do is put crappy oil in your car, without good oil you won't have a motor.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Tune Up (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hondas don't have a tranny filter especially if it is a manual transmission. If it's an automatic, it has a screen and you'd have to take the tranny case apart to even get to it. That's why the interval for changing your tranny fluid is so low for autos.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Cap
Rotor
Reground your car if stock grounds
Check coolant level
Replace tranny fluid
Replace Clutch if necesary
Oil and oil filter change
Valve adjustment
new brakes if necesary
Fuel filter
Timing Belt/Waterpump
ect.....
Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

Oh yeah, valve adjustment, that's important too.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune Up (VtecAddict96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecAddict96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No flame intended here, but do you have anything to back that up...cause I do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude where the hell do you buy your oil 6 bucks a quart??? where do you leave somalia?, or something it does not go over 4 bucks and just remember you get what you pay for, If Porsches, Vipers, Auston Martin and other "high performace" engine manufactures, have on their engines taged "use only Mobil 1 motor oil" i don't think they play around. oil is the life of the engine you go cheap you will suffer consecuences do some research and learn
CAN YOU BACK THIS UP!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys have nothing to back up your statements about oil. Give me a PM and i will send you various articles from people doing tests etc on motor oils. I've never heard of an engine blow from "using the wrong brand of motor oil".
Old 04-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Default Re: (VtecAddict96)

I live in NJ and Mobile 1 Synthetic does cost $5.35 in my local wal-mart and it is the same price at other local car stores as well (pep-boys, autozone, etc...). I still use it, but it sux paying so much for it...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude where the hell do you buy your oil 6 bucks a quart?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think he was inferring that if you bought Honda-badged oil from a dealership you would pay $6/quart. I know my local dealership parts department is kinda wacky, though maybe not that wacky.

I generally pay a little over $3/bottle for a case of oil ($20/case) for Mobil-1 5W30. And every 3rd or 4th oil change is "free" since the entire case doesn't get used.

Personally I know that a lot of those initial synthetic/dino blends were very, very bad news. Enough that I still wouldn't trust them. Either go pure dino or pure synth. Just keep up on the oil changes.