Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trying to understand the VAFC a little better.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to understand the VAFC a little better.......

I don't know a lot about them, and what I have searched for tells me nothing. If someone could give me a link to show me what all the fuel adjustments mean. I put on my A/F gauge yesterday and it would not get off the last green. I thought I may have hooked it up wrong. Driving it today I noticed it was working, well kinda. When I stop it goes rich all the way. It moves alittle but not much. I think I need to play with the VAFC a little to get it right. I guess what I need to know it what does all the stuff mean. I know what you are going to say (tune it) well I would like to try and do that my self, or do what I can.

It's a B16A from a Del-Sol, in a 1994 Honda Civic EX
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trying to understand the VAFC a little better....... (CBURKE)

if your engine is stock or just bolt ons a vafc is useless, even if your turbo there crap

and you cannot tune with a narrow band a/f gauge
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you got a wideband that a/f guage isnt going to show you anything accurate. VAFC is how i learned about air/fuel mixtures and how to change them. Its not as hard as you think. Find out where your at and what you want it to be and then go into the VAFC and find the same places and change what you want. Pretty simple, but only a wideband can really tell you what your doing.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the big prob I am running into is that I have a ecu that says Hondata on it and Spoon. There is no plug for the Hondata so I am assuming it is one from them direct. I would like to remove the VAFC but I don't know if I will lose v-tec. I will find out what ECU it is. I smell fuel all the time so I know I am running rich. I need a way to adjust that.

I see where the wide thr and the narr thr will set the A/F to that but mine is when I am sitting still. I dont see a setting for that.

Should I do this wile I am driveing?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (CBURKE)

if you take the VAFC off you will not lose VTEC.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:06 AM

I have one VAFC, the first thing that you have to do is CHECK OR CHANGE THE O2 for a new one or a good one. With the time they are slow and lose the hability to chage fast from rich to lean. Now that you have that, you have to plug your VAFC in to the ECU and put ignition but do not start the engine. Now go to the star up (the last option on the 1 2 3 options menu) are and firts choose the SENSOR NUMBER, after that choose the type of car Number of Cilynders and Type of throttle and type of Vtech, that info is at the manual.
When you have that done, go to setting and set the narr and the wide. This an example
Change over point : Vtec open (on) means also HI CAM

Narr: You can drive your car without the full throttle, right!, so narr is the program that VAFC is going to use when you drive without the 100 % of the acceleration. as you now you can reach the chage over point without the 100% acceleration.
Lvt is equal to Low CAM in Narr
Hvt is equal to Hi CAM in Narr

With the wide band is the same but when you have more than the % that you select at the narr band.

Lvt is equal to low CAM with full throttle body open in WIDE
Hvt is equal to hi CAM with full throttle body open in WIDE

As you see this tool the VAFC has 4 programs.

Then you have to understand also that even when you make the change on the VAFC the ECU still with his program, in that moment is when the Vtec unmatch. Because if you change the Vtec to open at 1000 rpm up than the original program or 1000 rpm down from the original program the ECU needs this % to increse or decrese the fuel adjusment.

As you can see all this goes around the change over point. You have to go to a DYNO and set the best change over point for your car, then you can set up the range of rpms to correct and all the setting to do a proper setting of this device.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, I think I am getting it. One thing I need help on it when I am at idle that is when the A/F pegs out to rich. It will not fluctuate at all just sits there. What setting do I adjust to get this somewhat fixed?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt