Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get my car inspected. --CEL p0141-

Ok, heres the deal...

Car-99 civic dx
Engine- OBD2 JDM GSR B18c1
ECU- OBD1 Hondata
No cat running test pipe

ok i need to get my car inspected and obv u cant have obd1 ecu in a obd2 car. So i recently bought a USDM OBD2a ECU, OBD2B-to-OBD2A jumper harness. I preformed the CFK by-pass trick to get rid of CEL for not having CFK sensor on JDM engine(put the splices into the jumper harness). I also made a homemade o2 simulator out of spark plug non-foulers stacked onto each other then drilled it out. I know your supposed to run stock injectors when doing the ECU switch but my Injector harness clips does not fit the stock injectors i had, im not sure why, they are both 2 prong so i just kept my 310 cc injectors on the engine.

Ok, so i put everything in the car, besides the injectors. o2 simulator on the first o2 sensor not running a secondary o2 sensor, which from a good source(person i got all the info on how to pass inspection) saying i wouldnt need to wire in a secondary o2 sensor, it would not throw a code.

So when i started the car i had a CEL, threw two codes...P1337 and P0141. so i knew the 1337 was the CFK bypass, so i figured the splices didnt contact the wire to piggy back the signal, squeezed them with pliers turn the car back on. Still had the CEL on ran the codes and the P1337 was now gone so that problem was fixed. Now the only code that remains is the P0141.

Scanner data-
P0141
o2 Heater Circuit
(Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Freeze Frame Data
Fuel Sys 1 CL
Fuel Sys 2 NA
Calc Load (%) 32.16
ECT (degrees C) 84
STFT B1 (%) 33.59
Life B1 (%) 0.00%
MAP (kPa 34.00
Engine RPM 680
IAT (degrees C) 52
TPS % 9.80

So pretty much im stuck atm...

Did some research saying maybe i ****ed the prongs on the connector of o2, they looked good. Maybe could be ECU i saw 1 person suggested to some1 else.

No code is thrown on my OBD1 ECU after i tired switching back to see if maybe i messed up the prongs.

I have a universal bosch sensor that i havnt used and was thinking about trying that, but wanted to see what info you guys can give me b4 i splice that in.

is this because i dont not have a secondary o2 sensor?

Last edited by MugenSpeclNY; 09-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to get my car inspected. --CEL p0141-

You have to put the O2 simulator on the secondary O2. The secondary O2 is what you want to simulate. Not the first O2 sensor. The first O2 should still be wired up. And you should put in stock injectors. You may have to change out your injector clips from OBD1 to OBD2 clips. The stock ECU is not calibrated to handle 310cc injectors.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8
You have to put the O2 simulator on the secondary O2. The secondary O2 is what you want to simulate. Not the first O2 sensor. The first O2 should still be wired up.
This^

Originally Posted by MugenSpeclNY
...o2 simulator on the first o2 sensor not running a secondary o2 sensor, which from a good source(person i got all the info on how to pass inspection) saying i wouldnt need to wire in a secondary o2 sensor, it would not throw a code.
Your good source was wrong. An OBD2 ECU will look for a secondary O2 sensor.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man this is a popular setup, exactly like my car. My problem is the retard before me cut out the wiring for the secondary O2 sensor. I have an electric simulator for the O2 sensor so that code is gone but I keep getting the code for the heater. I bought a resistor to simulate the heater but I can't get it to work. Since my harness is butchered anyway, I'm just going to make a new one and use a real sensor for the heater. BTW if they do a visual inspection it will still fail for the test pipe.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i looked around and found where to wire the 4 wires for the secondary o2, but i dont know how to actually connect the wires into the connectors on the jumper harness that connects to the ECU.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can not run wires straight from the ecu to the O2 sensor as one or 2 wires are shielded and need to be shielded for it to run correctly and if done wrong it could damage the ecu. weld a head shield around the test pipe to make it look like it has a catalytic converter that's what i have done in the past and worked fine for visual inspection. as others have said buy a o2 sensor for the primary sensor and use the simulator on the secondary o2 sensor
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ty for the info, but there in no second o2 sensor there for me 2 put a simulator on...being the cars ecu that i use daily is a hondata tuned obd1 ecu which doesnt need a secondary o2.

also visual is not a problem for me, if i dont have a CEL im good to go,

i was planning on following this guide, http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=395.

i just dont know how to connect it to the ecu, do i just strip the wires twist and stick in? do i need a certain type of connector that i pull the wire through?? idk
Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did almost the same swap with a usdm b16a2 I use a 97 ex harness and a 96 sub harness so it don't come with a sec o2 sensor plug I just pin to the ecu never give a problem after that ckp was very easy I do not rec sim because Is a false reading if you car is very rich might kill the cat very fast
Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You can tap the locations that should already be there. Here's the diagram:

http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=395
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Weizhang115
I did almost the same swap with a usdm b16a2 I use a 97 ex harness and a 96 sub harness so it don't come with a sec o2 sensor plug I just pin to the ecu never give a problem after that ckp was very easy I do not rec sim because Is a false reading if you car is very rich might kill the cat very fast
how do you pin the new wires from the o2 to the ECU. please explain as this is the only part of this that i am un-sure of

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
You can tap the locations that should already be there. Here's the diagram:

http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=395
i know about that guide if you've read my post i already said i plan on using that guide for the locations of the wires....

The only thing i dont know is how to actually put the wires into the respective ECU connectors... do i just strip the wire twist and stick it in?? do i need to buy a metal connector of some sort then pull the wire through that? i just dont know and i want to be sure b4 i attempt this. A pic guide will be best or a detailed explanation.

Please help HT, need my car inspected ASAP its already up!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Technical Hero

I use these. You can get them at any autoparts store, walmart, etc

they hook up like this. The yellow wire would be your ECU wire (ignore that its cut you don't cut it) and the purple would be your O2 wire.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am familiar with thous connectors, being that i used them to preform the CFK by-pass trick.

ok i was under the assumption that the pin slots that were needed for the secondary o2 sensor were empty in my jumper harness...but i just grabbed it from my car at work and look at it comparing, http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2a.htm and this http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=395. so there are wires already there so i can just use thous splice connector things again as you stated and splice the o2 wires into the existing wires that are already in the harness..... thank you for the info
Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Technical Hero

Yep
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reason your having this issue is because you must be using a obd2 EX harness in your DX i had this same problem and just kept my dx harness with 2 o2 sensors on the engine harness. on the ex they had the second o2 sensor ran in the floor harness because the cat was under the car not on the front like the dx. then i just ran the 3 vtec wires on my dx harness. much easier and less headache.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i wired in the secondary o2 sensor following the guide on ff squad using a universal bosch sensor i had (2white 1black 1 grey wire)....STILL THROWING THE CODE

the two white whites im am under the assumption that it doesnt matter which one you connect to where, im pretty sure i read that somewhere. the guide says one goes to A5 and one goes to A11. does that matter which goes to which?

"White Wire TO D14 – Sensor Heater 02 Signal (SH02S)
Green Wire TO D11 – Sensor Ground 2 (SG2)
Black Wire TO A5 – Secondary Heater 02 Control (S02HTC)
Black Wire TO A11 – Power Source 1 (1GP1)"

i have universal so it 1 black 1 grey and 2 white.

could this be the reason i am throwing a code still??

if that doesnt matter what can i try next??? iso helpppppppp
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recheck the connections. In addition, did you reset the ECU by unplugging your battery?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im currently at work now, but after i saw the CEL again. i shut off the car and rechecked all the connections i made the 4 butt connectors i used to extend the wires and the 4 splices connectors that went into the jumper harness. Turned it back on tried clearing the code multiple times, tried driving around while clearing the code. Both did not work.

I did not try resetting the ECU by the battery as i heard if you unplug the ECU completely for 1min it will reset. Will both of these methods work? or you think i should try disconnecting the battery when i get off work and trying again?....if so how long should i keep the battery unplugged for? 1 min?

Also it doesnt matter which of the two wires went where, correct? in my case im talking about the 2 white wires on the universal on a oem sensor they're black and according to the guide on ff squad it says one 2 A5 and 1 to A11, does it matter which white goes to A5 and which white goes to A11?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

To reset the ECU, remove the 7.5A hood Back Up fuse for at least 3 minutes.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thank you for the added info... i will try this once i get off work, and post the results.

just want to say thanks again for all the help all of you have given me so far, very much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they always say not to use these universal o2 sensors to replace the primary o2 sensors. even new sensors can throw codes after a short time. i would un hook everything check for the power with a voltmeter after disconnecting them all and make sure they are connected to the right wire. these are def a PITA to install. i would have got a used sensor for 40 bux just to get thru emissions.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesn't matter what you do for the sensors, as soon as they look under the car and theres only a test pipe there = instant fail. plus when they hook up the scanner to the computer for the obd2 readiness test, its gonna fail because it will say secondary O2 = not ready, or disabled.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to apexi-
the universal is not for the primary its the secondary...

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
it doesn't matter what you do for the sensors, as soon as they look under the car and theres only a test pipe there = instant fail. plus when they hook up the scanner to the computer for the obd2 readiness test, its gonna fail because it will say secondary O2 = not ready, or disabled.

please read through the thread b4 you post....

i already stated passing a visual test is the least of my concerns i already have multiple shops that will pass my car with a test pipe. i dont get why it would say not ready or disabled with a stock obd2 ECU...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i just got out of work and tried resetting the ECU....with the pull it for 15min wait start it let it idle for 15min untouched, shut it off then restart then tried clearing code...code came back instant p0141
Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ever try wiring this secondary O2 sensor straight to the ecu? you may have damaged the ecu and it will throw this code on any car the ecu is put in. i did this one time trying to wire a O2 sensor straight to the ecu. no matter what i did it kept throwing the code instantly. i swapped harness's with a dx harness with both O2 sensors and a new ecu and the code went away. i believe u friend the circuit int he ecu for the secondary o2 sensor and this is why your throwing the code. swap the ecu out to a friends car that has no CEL's and i bet it throws a code for the secondary O2 sensor
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
did you ever try wiring this secondary O2 sensor straight to the ecu? you may have damaged the ecu and it will throw this code on any car the ecu is put in. i did this one time trying to wire a O2 sensor straight to the ecu. no matter what i did it kept throwing the code instantly. i swapped harness's with a dx harness with both O2 sensors and a new ecu and the code went away. i believe u friend the circuit int he ecu for the secondary o2 sensor and this is why your throwing the code. swap the ecu out to a friends car that has no CEL's and i bet it throws a code for the secondary O2 sensor
yes i did try wiring it to the ECU, not directly into the ECU but i spliced it in using the blue connectors shown in the pic, into the jumper harness into the respective wires.

i was thinking about this b/c i saw on some random thread some1 mentioned the ECU being bad...I wish i had a friend who drove a GSR haha....all my friends drive Vdubs(i hate VW's lol) srt's and newer honda's(rsx/7thgen Si'/s2k). is there any way i can check b4 buying a new ECU off some1 again??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to get my car inspected. --CEL p0141-