Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out

first of all its d15 VTEC into a 93 cx

main problem- axles wont go in, i know everyone says just give em a good wack with a hammer but ive been banging for an hour and no luck...do the splines have to be aligned with something inside for it to go completely inside? what is the best point to hit them at to get them in there? what else could stop them from going in?
using my stock cx axles by the way...

possible problem- just got pressure in the clutch after bleeding my slave cylinder and it wont go into gear, the tranny has been sitting for months with no fluid could that be the problem? i cant put fluid in to try until i take car of the above problem

thanks for any help sorry for the long post

UPDATE- car is running new problem at bottom

Modified by Art In Motion at 1:10 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (Art In Motion)

When i have tough axles at work i lubricate the splines with atf and try to put it in. Usally i have to work it by wiggling the axle in.
Sometimes you need finese' (spl?) not force.
good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (civic-si-2000)

You should be able to line up the splines and slide the axle in partially by hand, then you might have to use some force to get it in the rest of the way.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (civic-si-2000)

it foy are having problems getting the outer end of the axle in , make sure th splines are clean pu a whole bunch of antisieze on it and wiggle. If you pulled it but removing the upper conrol arm sometimes you can use that and the steering knuckle to help in along, you will see what i mean. If it is the inner , just line it up and rotate it a bit and puch on the outer end untill you hear a good tump and its in.You should not have to use a hammer if everything is lined up. If you have too use a MAP gas torch and heat up the splines on the hub, just a bit though
Old 01-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (gt30typer)

yeah i already took off some of the bolts on the suspension to give me some room to move...the only thing suggested i havnt tried is lubing it, ill give that a try and post up again tomorow

anyone know the answer to my second question about the gears?

thanks for the responses
Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (gt30typer)

i would wiggle then whack. I have never had a problem with axles before. I just did this with my car. Slid them in, wiggled, pushed real hard to get that spring clip to pass, and i was set.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

anyone know the answer to my second question about the gears?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can move it in and out of gear with no fluid in it. Just dont start it and do it.
You should also beable(while parked and not running) to move the tranny in and out of gear without using the clutch at all.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can move it in and out of gear with no fluid in it. Just dont start it and do it.
You should also beable(while parked and not running) to move the tranny in and out of gear without using the clutch at all.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im aware the the car can go in gear when its off but i was having trouble so i thought the clutch would help but no luck...the only reason i can think id be blocked out of gears is me and bauley were inside the trans replacing the input shaft bearing before the swap and something mightve got knocked out of place (but i really hope not ) but you probably know that bauley knows his ****...anything else that would stop it from going into gear? it feels like it wants to go in but it would REALLY have to be forced, and in nuetral it barely moves, i already tried loosening the shift linkage bolt underneath the shifter

thanks again
Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...help him finally finish his car
Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah im aware the the car can go in gear when its off but i was having trouble so i thought the clutch would help but no luck...the only reason i can think id be blocked out of gears is me and bauley were inside the trans replacing the input shaft bearing before the swap and something mightve got knocked out of place (but i really hope not ) but you probably know that bauley knows his ****...anything else that would stop it from going into gear? it feels like it wants to go in but it would REALLY have to be forced, and in nuetral it barely moves, i already tried loosening the shift linkage bolt underneath the shifter

thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

My only point was, when the engine is turned off neither the fluid, clutch, nor slave cyl should affect the trannys ability to go in and out of gear.
As long as the shift likage isnt somehow messed up, the problem is probably the tranny itself.

One way to rule out the shift linkage would be to remove the linkage from the tranny, and use a screw driver to manually select gears. If it still wont work, its got to be the transmission.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i see...when the bar was off i could move the linkage into like 3 different places does that rule it out? ive already had to drop my trans once during the swap cause of the throwout bearing i dont wanna do it again
Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the bar was off i could move the linkage into like 3 different places does that rule it out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm a little unclear on what you mean.
With the shift linkage rods off, you could move the shift shaft(shaft in the tranny that selects gears) into 3 different positions?
or
You could only move the the linkage(shifter and rod assembly) in 3 different places?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry...i mean when the rod was off i put a screwdriver through the hole in the shift shaft and it would click forward and backward
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know why your axles wouldn't go in. Is the clip damaged on the end of it or something. Usually I can put axles in without any problems they pretty much slide in, never had a problem.

It doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not, you can put axles in even with the tranny out of the car. You must of damaged the diff, the splines, or the c-clip/ring on the axle.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tryin to finish my swap...last min problems help me out (ABK)

I had this same problem finishing my jdm d15b. What I did was I unbolted the control arms and whatnot so that the hub assembly swung relatively freely. Partialy seat the axel (in but no click), then pull out the hub assembly a little (do not unset the axel) and give it a good hard push back in towards the transmission. That's how I got them to seat fully. I was a little worried about tearing the boots on the axel and being so rough with it, but it has been months and it's running strong. Good luck getting it finished man. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Edit: You should be able to put your car in gear with no fluid in the trans. Make sure your shift linkage is in right, and I'm sorry if it's not because the battle with that bitch pin sucks.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry...i mean when the rod was off i put a screwdriver through the hole in the shift shaft and it would click forward and backward</TD></TR></TABLE>

So with the linkage unhooked you can select gears manually, but when the linkage is hooked up it wont go into gear?

Sounds like some kind of a problem with the linkage.
I would look over everything carefully and make sure the linkage is installed properly.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So with the linkage unhooked you can select gears manually, but when the linkage is hooked up it wont go into gear?

Sounds like some kind of a problem with the linkage.
I would look over everything carefully and make sure the linkage is installed properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i'll be doing on Thursday...I could've sworn I did the transmission right when I reassembled it.

Tyler, don't worry...we'll get her running
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope so well figure it out, youve done the **** before i dont think you make the same mistake twice
thanks for all your help guys
ill make a victory/failure post on thursday to let you know how it went

Modified by Art In Motion at 2:27 AM 1/5/2005
Old 01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car is running and mate it home
BUT im having some troubles...first of all the speedo doesnt work...i took out the VSS it looked fine, i cleaned it off and the speedo went up to about 15 slowly(not accurately)...also my car will BARELY move at low RPMs and it has a very hard time getting up

is the VSS my only problem? or is it something else?me and b16aferio are wiring the vT4kk today and i wanna be able to actually make it to engagement

edit- using p08 ecu