Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Truth about b series motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth about b series motors

hi, i was wondering the truth about b series motors, is it tru that a any jdm b series motor can be reved to 9000 safely, obvisouly if you have the ecu to do it? i have a skunk2 chipped p28, with j's racing intkae, world sprot cat back, on a b18c gsr. is it really ok to go to 8500 or 9000 on factory jdm internals? also, i ordered takata harnesses, why the hell are they not as long as the ones you see in magazine, they are so short, that the takata patches are behind the seats, does anyone know, it really sucks.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Truth about b series motors (eg6hatch)

you can get it to 9000, just take out the rev-limiter, and chip it.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:35 PM
GSRswapandslow

there is no point in revving that high....

you don't make power up there...so why waste???

you'll more than likley float some valves up that high too....

Old 08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Truth about b series motors (TrickHonda77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrickHonda77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can get it to 9000, just take out the rev-limiter, and chip it. </TD></TR></TABLE> yea good idea...you wont break anything bend any valves or anything like that...he said safely...dont post misinformation...i think someone is calling for help about body kits down in appearance cosmetic....you can rev to 9 if you get a better valavetrain( skunk 2, jun, toda,....etc...) with stock cams and an upgraded valvetrain you dont need to go that high because your power will end before that
Old 08-07-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (GSRswapandbanned)

i know i can do it wiht a chippe ecu, i have one, bu the point is will it damage my motor?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:44 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a better idea to get some 80- lb dual valvesprings and titanuim retainers if you are rev happy. yes, the engine will hold up fine (if it's taken care of), but you may float stock valvesprings. a good set of cams will help you make power up there, too. also look into a 3 or 5 angle valve job, porting and polishing the head, etc.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: (22lbGS-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 22lbGS-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a better idea to get some 80- lb dual valvesprings and titanuim retainers if you are rev happy. yes, the engine will hold up fine (if it's taken care of), but you may float stock valvesprings. a good set of cams will help you make power up there, too. also look into a 3 or 5 angle valve job, porting and polishing the head, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed.... Upgrade springs and retainers before goin' past 8000 and if you can, dyno your car to see where your hp/torque falls off.... if your not making power that high, your just making noise
Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrickHonda77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can get it to 9000, just take out the rev-limiter, and chip it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Noooo.....This advise is not only misleading it's something my sister might say.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandbanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no point in revving that high....

you don't make power up there...so why waste???

you'll more than likley float some valves up that high too....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree.
On the dyno I pull throughout 9k safely and I have a fuel cut off at 10k with a reprogramed p.28 JUN Type3 ECU.
Needless to say the torque numbers aren't there but I do get gaines that high.
Don't be tryin this jus yet, I have JUN internals and unless your car is made for such (abuse) well, jus be glad for now you have a car to drive, becuase soon enough you may not.
My advise to you is Do not rev that high you wont be gettin enough power down to the wheels to risk blowin ur c1.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi, i was wondering the truth about b series motors, is it tru that a any jdm b series motor can be reved to 9000 safely, obvisouly if you have the ecu to do it? i have a skunk2 chipped p28, with j's racing intkae, world sprot cat back, on a b18c gsr. is it really ok to go to 8500 or 9000 on factory jdm internals? also, i ordered takata harnesses, why the hell are they not as long as the ones you see in magazine, they are so short, that the takata patches are behind the seats, does anyone know, it really sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) I say it is not 'safe' to rev a JDM B series to 9,000 rpms safely meaning it won't last nearly as long as you would like it to. The stock valve springs can handle up to 9,100 rpm's but power isn't made there with the stock cams so the point of revving that high is negated. To asnwer your question directly, you can rev that motor to 9,000 rpm's but any slight mis-shift can result in floating a valve. Not worth a chance IMHO. Build the motor to safely rev that high if that is your goal!

2) I know nothing about takata harnesses as they are too JDM bling for me yO! Anyhow, i hope you are using a seat suited for a 5 point harness and have rollover protection as well.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ordered takata harnesses, why the hell are they not as long as the ones you see in magazine, they are so short, that the takata patches are behind the seats, does anyone know, it really sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you ordered the wrong harnesses....they need to be MPH340R those are the long ones. I think the one that you got is for a car with a roll cage in it....the longer ones are for the a car that doesnt...so u can mount on the chassis
Old 08-07-2003, 05:45 PM
GSRswapandslow

Default Re: Truth about b series motors (SLeePeR012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Noooo.....This advise is not only misleading it's something my sister might say.

I disagree.
On the dyno I pull throughout 9k safely and I have a fuel cut off at 10k with a reprogramed p.28 JUN Type3 ECU.
Needless to say the torque numbers aren't there but I do get gaines that high.
Don't be tryin this jus yet, I have JUN internals and unless your car is made for such (abuse) well, jus be glad for now you have a car to drive, becuase soon enough you may not.
My advise to you is Do not rev that high you wont be gettin enough power down to the wheels to risk blowin ur c1.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm...do you still have C1 cams? We've dynoed them a lot...and they drop off in the mid upper 8's
Old 08-07-2003, 10:08 PM

First of all I was talkin about his c1, I got a b16a2; I also have Jun Stage III cams, along with retainers and springs, JUN flywheel and JUN ECU/obd1 conversion/VAFC, and not to mention a few more goodies.
Power goes up and accutally never drops off (assuming we are only talking about horsepower)
I've only takin her to 9, and the numbers do stay up and never really levels out, but we're not talkin about major pulls either.
I was just answerin his question about if cars can rev that high safely.
I say, "You'd better have a good tuner"
Old 08-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">? also, i ordered takata harnesses, why the hell are they not as long as the ones you see in magazine, they are so short, that the takata patches are behind the seats, does anyone know, it really sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well this is just a guess but you probably dont have a roll bar and you probably mounted them were the stock rear seat belts go, which is not how they are ment to be installed so that is why they are so short get a cage then use um
Old 08-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

No point in reving that high if your cams don't make power that high.