Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

True monowiper DIY for Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default True monowiper DIY for Del Sol

I have seen a lot of monowiper conversions where they simply adjust the blade angle and remove the drivers side. This
isn't that hence it being a "true" mono-wiper. All examples are of a 93 Del Sol Si so i cant say for certain that this
applies to all model years. Now lets do the thing.

Materials:
Scrap plastic
2 part plastic epoxy
Spraypaint
Sand paper 400-1000
Duct tape
Sharpie
Silicon lubricant
Wiper blade (i used a 19 inch)

Tools:
Metric sockets
Sharp scissors
Dremel with cutting wheel
Small spreading tool
Drill
Metal drill bits
Vice
Angle grinder
Hammer
Needle nose pliers
Trim / clip removal tools

#1 Remove wiper arms

Its just two acorn nuts

#2 Removing the cowl

Pop up the small retainer clips under the windshield. if you have a forked clip removal tool it helps alot, as a
screwdriver tends to scratch up the cowl. Theirs another set of clips along the inside of the engine bay best removed
with needle nose. You also need to loosen the top bolts for the front fenders as they tend to pinch down the cowl. Now
the only thing holding it down should be your hinge covers. Careful not to damage them as you pull them free.

#3 Remove the armature:

Its just 4 bolts, and the plug the goes to the motor. After those are removed with a little tilt it should come right
out.

#4 Choosing a wiper blade

IMPORTANT:
The shorter blade you use, the more throw you have as it can go further w/o hitting the drivers side of the windshield.
Even the whole way down if the blade was short enough, but you would lose top and passenger side coverage. Using a
longer blade you use will cover more of the passenger side and top of the windshield but less of the drivers side
bottom corner and less throw. Knowing this i used a 19inch blade.

#5 Modifying the cowl:

Now take the cowl and give it a good scrub / dry it will help the tape to stick. Now take that sharpie and mark where
you would like to cut the cowl. We are doing this because without cutting 150-180 degrees of sweep is impossible. I
took a bit more than necessary off mine but i didn't want snow in there to be a problem. We will be using the passngers
side wiper hole, and the shorter of the two wipers. Using these two pieces you can easily mock up how you would like to
make your cuts depending on your intended throw and chosen size of wiper blade.

Once your satisfied in your lines, duct tape off around where you will be cutting as to help to keep the plastic from
shattering. Then make the chosen cuts, and remove the tape when your done.

#6 Filling the void:

So now you have a big hole in your cowl, not a problem if you live in the south. As this cowl gutter is designed to
drain water. Though if you live somewhere it snows you will be much better off filling it back in. I personally used
scrap plastic from DVD cases as its easy to cut and form as well as durable. Whatever you use make sure its compatible
with your chosen epoxy. Cut and hole each piece to build up you backing, i did mine in 3 pieces. One curved bottom a
back and a support on the backside. If you create a new low point make sure it has a way to drain, as i said before the
gutter is designed to deal with water.

#7 (optional)

I filled in 3 of the 8 upper holes as well as a crack on the cowl, just to clean up the aesthetic a bit. This is completely optional but i think the cowl looks better shaved.

#8 Sand sand sand

LET THE EPOXY CURE FOR 24 HOURS
then sand sand sand sand and sand some moar. I didn't sand the front-side of my epoxy enough and it didn't turn out the greatest. Be better than me start at 400
and work your way up. Same goes for the clip holes if you chose to fill them. You want them to be nice and flush if you can catch it with your nail it will show through paint.
Even if theirs no damage in a section sand that as-well, or else your paint may not stick.

#9 Paint

Wash your cowl of any dust and let it dry well. Take your paint of choice and spray a few coats. Once this dries you will be able to see any imperfections your missed.
If your not satisfied return to step #8, if you are satisfied follow up with clear coat. After 24 hours you can put your rubber stripping back on and wax it as you wish.

I also sanded and painted my 4 upper cowl clips to match the cowl.

#10 Armature

The armature works by the main motor spinning in one direction (arrow on back indicating direction). There are then 2
rods connects the two wiper bases. The rod leading to what was the drivers side wiper arm can be popped off the
armature on both ends. Simply get under the rod and pry up, the white plastic sockets should pop off there respective
*****. Mark it with sharpie so you know which rod it is, i marked it as "front".

Now the remaining bar leads to the what was the passengers side wiper base. At this point by imagining us moving the pivot you can see how we can adjust
the throw. Pop the rod off its ball on the passenger side wiper base, and use it to find where you need to move the
pivot to get your desired throw. You may fully remove this bar if you wish just be sure to mark it as "back"

Once the "back" bar has also been popped off its pivots. You can now unbolt the passenger side wiper base from the
wiper armature itself. Its just two small bolts. This is where your vice and grinder comes in. Using these tools grind
off the flare on the back of these 2 pivots. Then hammer them out from the back, you could use heat, punches or any
number of tools here. Just be careful not to damage the ball side of the pivots.

#11 New pivot

Now that you have marked your armature to set your throw. Drill your new hole i used a ( size here) bit so that i could
just hammer the pivot pin back in. Remember the new pivot goes onto the rear of the bracket aka down. You can see from
the photos where i chose to put mine, i should have gone just a hair lower as i could use maybe another inch of throw.
Though as i said before, be better than me.

#12 (Optional)

I also chose to remove the base of the drivers side wiper. So there wasn't a bare pin sticking through the cowl. Just
need to cut the small washer right at the base of where the wiper arm would have mounted and the whole pin / bracket
will fall out of the back of the armature. I used a die grinder to cut the washer, but a dremel would also work.

#13 Testing

Take your passenger side wiper base you just modified. Bolt it back to the rest of the armature and with a little
silicon lube pop your "back" rod back onto the motor pivot and then onto your newly moved pivot. Take this and bolt it
onto the car and plug it in, and WITHOUT WIPER ARMS turn on the wipers does the motor work? does it move the passenger
side wiper base smoothly? if not something is wrong, maybe you moved the pivot too far?

Next take your shorter wiper arm and tie a rag or something around where the blade would go. Take that back and bolt it
on at its rest position. Try turning on the wipers again and check. Will this hit anywhere if it did have a blade? How
is my throw? Any knocking or excess play in parts that need compensated for? You can turn off the key at the height of
the blades swing and it will stay there. You can then use your blade to take easier measurements.

If all of the above are good then its time to try a real wiper blade, attach the blade wet the windshield and test. by
turning off the car at the height of the swing, then removing the arm and putting it back on as far as you want it to
swing you can essentially give it the perfect reach and leave any shortcoming of throw in the rest area of the
windshield.

If these tests fail return to step #11

Once all these tests are Passed, remove the armature once again and weld or jb-weld in your new pivot pin, i chose just
to hammer it in. If it fails in the future i will know why.

#14 Your pretty much done

Bolt in your armature, re-plug in the motor. Put your cowl back on as well as your hinge covers. Put your upper cowl
clips in and finally don't forget to re tighten your fenders. Now bolt on your shorter wiper arm in your previously chosen
position. Make sure it doesn't swing too far and hit the edge of the windshield or it may break your armature.

#15 You are done!

Bask in the glory

One of these days i will add another inch of throw and re-sand my cowl. For now here is the end product.

Last edited by Nave43; 08-17-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:32 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: True monowiper DIY for Del Sol

A for effort. Other than that, why?? Single wiper looks soo 1997.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Unique = points.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Other than that, why?? Single wiper looks soo 1997.
For some, that alone is a reason. The 90s look in general has a lot of appeal to it.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Unique = points.
Also this.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great effort - I also prefer the look of a single wiper.

Minimalism is trendy i guess?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:24 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

At high speeds, your OEM wipers will skip off the windshield. Especially at lower angles. I remember in 99 I gave it a try. It sucked because one wiper doesn't clean as much of the windshield as 2.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the input, I started this project as my wipers were already broken. If i wanted to run two wipers i would have had to replace some pieces of armature regardless. Which meant i might as well pick up the whole unit at a scrap yard. So liking the mono wiper 90's aesthetic i decided to dedicate my current set and see how it came out. I like it so much i don't think i will be buying another armature after all, and wanted to share that success.

Here is another picture showing the wipers max reach as i forgot to show this in the how to

Name:  max throw.png
Views: 1869
Size:  1.48 MB

P.S. Any chance of this getting added to the sticky?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I like your modification and like that you shared it.

The mod is not for me, but I do like the ingenuity and problem solving you did for it all.

Great work!