Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Troubleshooting: D16Y7 Engine Misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: D16Y7 Engine Misfire Issue

Tune-up help Have a Civic 96 DX hatchback with the D16Y7 engine Last year gave it a tune up and pretty much replaced everything I could possibly think of new plugs new wires new rotor new cap new module inside the distributor.
It's been running like a swiss watch all year even drove it from Houston to Connecticut last year with no problems. I took it down to get it inspected and it failed blew my mind. It read out said cylinder 3 and 4 misfiring and miscellaneous misfiring. So I put a new cap and rotor on it which was pretty toasty burnt up the contacts were cooked.
Replaced the plugs and wires thankfully which are under warranty. Put my OBD code reader on there and still getting the same results. Anybody got any ideas of what the heck is going on or what I maybe doing wrong or missing?
I am Stumped
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Erocer
Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Will not pass

Tune-up help Have a Civic 96 DX hatchback with the D16Y7 engine Last year gave it a tune up and pretty much replaced everything I could possibly think of new plugs new wires new rotor new cap new module inside the distributor.
It's been running like a swiss watch all year even drove it from Houston to Connecticut last year with no problems. I took it down to get it inspected and it failed blew my mind. It read out said cylinder 3 and 4 misfiring and miscellaneous misfiring. So I put a new cap and rotor on it which was pretty toasty burnt up the contacts were cooked.
Replaced the plugs and wires thankfully which are under warranty. Put my OBD code reader on there and still getting the same results. Anybody got any ideas of what the heck is going on or what I maybe doing wrong or missing?
I am Stumped
And I need to get my car inspected
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Erocer
Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Re: Will not pass

Could be build up on the valves and/or poor valve sealing.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Do a compression test... then check your valve adjustment.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it really throwing new misfire codes, as in the CEL comes on while driving? If the CEL stays out while driving, you should be able to clear all codes, drive until the "ready" code appears, then pass inspection.

Are you using lousy aftermarket parts? There are some wire sets that don't last 6 months. But yes the valves or low compression will cause misfiring especially at idle. If you have noticeable misfiring when you step hard on the gas at low rpm, that is usually weak sparks.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

gapped spark plug? ohm test spark plug wire? coil and igniter replaced? fuel filter replaced? clean injectors?

These cars are getting old. If you've never clean the injectors or replace the fuel filter, or added cleaning detergents in the fuel tank, best take care of it. They don't run like champs forever if everything else isn't maintained as well.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: D16Y7 Engine Misfire Issue

try a compression check and swapping injectors from one cylinder to another (number them with original location first).

compression and "leak-down" tests can help determine if you have valve damage, piston/ring damage, or head gasket leak.

injector swapping: you have misfire on 3 and 4. if you swap injector 3 and 2, clear the codes (with reader or with pulling the fuse for 10 sec) drive around until check engine light comes on and you then have misfire on 2 and 4... clogged/defective injectors. replace as needed.

check your service manual of choice for further information on procedural details, specs and safety warnings.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: D16Y7 Engine Misfire Issue

If I’m getting deposits on my fuel rail.could that mean my injectors are bad?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Troubleshooting: D16Y7 Engine Misfire Issue

You would not believe what happened it turned out to be the module in the distributor I purchased a module a little over a year ago at my auto parts.
What from what I can tell is when I bought the part somebody had bought as new to get there money back andt put his used one in the box and returned it to the auto parts house so when I purchased it thinking it was new it was used. What a mess but since my plugs and wires distributor cap rotor and plugs were under warranty as well as the module I replaced everything under warranty. And I passed inspection with flying colors

Old 02-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You would not believe what happened it turned out to be the module in the distributor I purchased a module a little over a year ago at my auto parts.
What from what I can tell is when I bought the part somebody had bought as new to get there money back andt put his used one in the box and returned it to the auto parts house so when I purchased it thinking it was new it was used. What a mess but since my plugs and wires distributor cap rotor and plugs were under warranty as well as the module I replaced everything under warranty. And I passed inspection with flying colors
Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

They screwed up bad at the parts store...

Most parts stores do not take returns on electrical parts. Probably for this exact reason.