Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trouble getting into first

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting into first

Hey guys,

My friend just purchased a 98 Civic, I've been driving it the past couple days and it has trouble going into first sometimes. It like goes in half way (but it's not actually in gear) and then won't go in anymore, I just put it into second, then first, and it goes smoothly but it's kind of annoying doing that every time..

Is there anything I can do? Or is it an internal transmission issue (syncros?)?

The car has only 110 000 miles on it.

And while we're here another quick question:

Is it hard to change the odometer? The car does not have a tach, my friend wanted to get an aftermarket one, so I called her a ricer and told her to get an OEM SI cluster which has the tach in it. There is one for sale right now that's for sale which is pretty much her exact mileage (off by less than 2000), but it's $100 (which seems to be a fair price) and she was going to wait a few months to get it because of the $$, but if it's hard to change the odometer then I will tell her to suck it up and jump on this. However if it's something simple that I can do myself then I would wait and just buy another one and change the odometer on that one to match her mileage.

Thanks guys, I love this place. Been using your DIYs to fix a couple of things on it.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble getting into first (BlitzSix)

i had a simliar problem, and turns out my slave cylinder went out, and i busted a line, so i had no clutch fluid. check those 2 first.

hows tranny fluid?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 PM

sometimes it happens cos of the gear synchros design. but if ur clutch fluid, slave&master cylinder and the clutch is fine. prolly you got a worn synchros.

changing odometer is not something I will touch myself LOL, cos if the needle breaks, game over. have to get a new cluster again.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blk_shadow)

syncros are probably going out is she good at driving a stick? lol. and was there a kid driving it before her?

is the shifter loose? the bushings could be really really worn?? maybe?

you can try changing the tranny fluid and checking the slave cylinder as pride said, but if thats not the issue then.

otherwise your looking at a tranny swap, wouldnt be worth the money to rebuild the tranny. you can get em for pretty dang cheap.

good luck

Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble getting into first (BlitzSix)

Do you have any info on the previous owners that changed the tranny? If so. The tranny could not be aligned. This happens to me with my reverse. Of course reverse does not have sincross so I have to shift to 4th before reverse. Single cam tranny is like around, id say, 300 buks. That's hot much I got mine for.. But geting a new tranny is last resort. Check all little things first. And also, your better of geting a difrent tranny rather than rebuilding it. Good luck