Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!!

hey i got the head off my motor, the motor is in adn the axles are in, everyting is hooked up just the heads not on, i ned ot take off the crank pully to do the timing belt, any idea on how to take it off? thanks alot PM me or just reply back
Old 06-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (Turbocoupe97)

undo the bolt and wiggle it off, DON"T LOOSE THE CRANK KEY!, if you dno't have an Impace you have to lock the flywheel using a flywheel tool or a big pry bar
Old 06-14-2004, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (99blackcivicSi)

correct...there is a breaker bar looking thing with a chain on it i forget what its called, then you wrap it around the crank pulley and get the bolt loose with an impact gun...no use trying to with a breaker bar...that **** is on there extremely tight. after that the pulley will be kind of hard to take off, you need to wiggle and play with it fora while, then eventually get it loose. hope this helps
Old 06-14-2004, 01:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (Slow_Em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct...there is a breaker bar looking thing with a chain on it i forget what its called...</TD></TR></TABLE>

strap wrench
Old 06-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they also rent out the harmonic balancer tool aka crank pulley tool at kragen for FREE and pepboys just called them up
Old 06-14-2004, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (EJcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

strap wrench </TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean chain wrench strap wrenches use straps chain wrenches use chains.

You can use a breaker bar i have done it NUMEROUS times with either locking the flywheel so it dosn't turn or using the crank pulley tool
Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (99blackcivicSi)

Use a crank pully tool. Honda sells them for like $80 or something. I bought mine from some tool warehouse online and it was about $40. Can't remember the name of the site right now, but when I get home I can find the recept and see where it was and for much. It looks just like the ones pictured in the Helms manual.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:20 AM

jam a piece of metal inbetween the flywheel teeth and the block. Use a 10 foot long breaker bar.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (Matt B)

impact gun is the easiest way, but make sure yours is at least 500ft/lbs or forget it. my 400ft/lbs gun didnt even budget that bastard. ended up having honda do the belt cuz i never got it off. just as a measure of how hard that pulley is to get off....we did a complete swap and got all the motor mounts and axle nuts and every other nut and bolt off with the same gun, but crank pulley pissed on my gun...haha!!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I bought my crank pulley tool from Snap-On's website. It was like $60. I used that and a 4 foot breaker bar and it came right off.

Do not use something to wedge between the flywheel and the bellhousing where you remove the transmission cover plate on the bottom of the engine. I did this first and cracked the bellhousing...
Old 06-14-2004, 07:12 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (DaX)

the bolt is on there real hard. On my 95 Accord EX, the torque spec is like 180 ft/lb. I haven't done the one on my Civic yet so I don't know the torque spec of it but I'm sure somewhere close to the same. Just buy the crank pulley tool and use a breaker bar. You would need two people, one to hold the crank pulley tool and the other to loosen the crank bolt. I've never tried "wedging" something between the flywheel teeth but it just don't sound very safe. Just my $.02
Old 06-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: (TouringAccord)

Yeah dont wedge anything in your flywheel. I wedged a metal bar in there and then used a breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater bar, still wouldnt budge. When I finnally put all my weight on the bar it moved, but not the bolt... When i got back under the car i realized that i had ripped my transmission case.

I ended up using a 550 ft\lb impact wrench after that and it spun off like nothin. After more than a week of dealin with the headache, the impact spool up when the nut came off was the sweetest sound in the world...
Old 06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The easiest way if you have a manual transmission is to get a friend, have them put the car into fifth gear and stomp on the brake. Then use a breaker bar to loosen the crank pulley. Works everytime (with the exception of a supra I helped with... Damn the torque specs a beefy on that thing.)

Josh
Old 06-14-2004, 09:55 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: (ninetfivehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninetfivehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When i got back under the car i realized that i had ripped my transmission case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what happened to me.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

thanks for the help guys, the problem is my transmission is on and **** soooo, but i dont have a impact gun handy, if the 5th gear theory doesnt work i will go look for a crank pulley takeroffer lol, thanks alot illlet you know how it turns out
Old 06-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nm i take back what i said about kragen they dont rent ou tthe ones needed for our car
Old 06-14-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: (gaydm.accord)

u need the crank positionin tool
if u use a chain wrench wrap the pulley w/ an oldpiece of belt so u DONT DAMAGE IT or weld a 50mm OUTSIDE DIM nut thats deep enough to a piece of pipe make sure ur socket will protrude i believe its a 17mm
Old 06-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (justin ny)

Old 06-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use a crank pully tool. Honda sells them for like $80 or something. I bought mine from some tool warehouse online and it was about $40. Can't remember the name of the site right now, but when I get home I can find the recept and see where it was and for much. It looks just like the ones pictured in the Helms manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean this thing: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html probably one of the best investment I ever purchase
Old 06-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gaydm.accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gaydm.accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">19</TD></TR></TABLE>

no 17mm
Old 06-14-2004, 03:44 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you mean this thing: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html probably one of the best investment I ever purchase </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, there it is. Thats the one I bought.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:48 PM

The best way to do this is to get the hex shapped wrench that fits inside the pully and use a breaker bar on each, One bar to hold the pully in place the other to break the bolt lose. -Note- BE CAREFULL WHEN LOSENING THE BOLT! it took 2 ppl standing/jumping on a 10ft breaker bar to get mine off and i tried using the chain wrench and the pully seperated in half where it was welded toghter was kinda cool but when the bolt finnally came lose the snap that went thro was enough to knock me to my **** with a sore back for 3 days.........
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (nocternaldragon)

its a 19 mm guys, and thats i purchased the tool
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best way to do this is to get the hex shapped wrench that fits inside the pully and use a breaker bar on each, One bar to hold the pully in place the other to break the bolt lose. -Note- BE CAREFULL WHEN LOSENING THE BOLT! it took 2 ppl standing/jumping on a 10ft breaker bar to get mine off and i tried using the chain wrench and the pully seperated in half where it was welded toghter was kinda cool but when the bolt finnally came lose the snap that went thro was enough to knock me to my **** with a sore back for 3 days......... </TD></TR></TABLE>

why do that when you can buy this: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html and do it yourself and save the money. simple...done
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!! (sleeperciv)

well guys i purchased the tool and i got it and it wont work b/c i have a aftermarket crank pulley on it that only drives the alt belt, any suggestions on keeping the motor from cranking so i can take it off? rember the heads off but everyting else is installed into the car, let me know any ideas, thanks, oh and anyone intersted in buyign the tool, i diint evan open it b/c i know it wont work, thanks

Quick Reply: Trouble geting off CrankPulley!! HELP!!!!!