Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trouble with clutch, really baffling!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with clutch, really baffling!

i have a 97 civic vtec and im having serious problems with the clutch. i recently replaced the master cylinder because it was weeping fluid and the clutch was not dis-engaging properly so i replaced it assuming this would fix the problem, however it didnt. also the thrust bearing has been making a whirring noise ever since i bought the car which i have had for over a year now and when i press the clutch in the whirring noise disappears, sometimes however when i press the clutch the whirring noise does not disappear and it is impossible to get the car into gear and this just happens randomly, whether i am driving or sat still on just in between intervals of when i have the car running or switched off, the clutch pedal has constant pressure and never falls to the floor and i have asked many people about this and they all just seem baffled, some think its could be a fractured finger plate, some think there could be some air in the hydraulic system when i fitted the master cylinder which has been bled an endless amount of times and other think it could be something to do with the thrust bearing, PLEASE HELP ME.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Trouble with clutch, really baffling!

Did you adjust the push rod when installed the new master cylinder? If it's not setup right the clutch will either not fully release or slip depending in just how far and what way it's out. Also if the noise you hear goes away when you depress the clutch it's not the throwout/release bearing. One or more of the 5 bearings in the transmission has gone bad. If you got noise when you depress the clutch pedal then the release bearing is bad.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Trial User

yeah i adjusted the push rod a few times and played with it when i kept bleeding the cylinder too, and after it worked fine, but then i'd switch the car off and go and get ready to go out and then try the clutch again and everything stopped working as if i hadnt touched it. also the noise sometimes goes away and sometimes doesn't, as i say its just completely random, when it all wants to work its absolutely fine as if its all brand new and i can drive it with no problems or hiccups whatsoever but when it decides it doesnt want to work its just really annoying lol
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the slave cylinder, and check the lines for leaks.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Trial User

92lxsleeper

if i had a leak in one of the lines would i lose pressure in the clutch altogether? reason i ask is that this hasn't happened at all, also something i forgot to mention previously was that earlier today it was working fine with no trouble, i went to the petrol station, filled up, got back in the car and pressed the pedal which all of a sudden seemed really stiff and i actually thought a had my foot on the brake pedal it was that bad, i turned the car back on and when i did i made sure it was in gear with the clutch in, and when it fired over the car jolted forward and then i heard a big clunk as the clutch softened up and then it was workin fine again, until i got home switched the car off then went to go back out and as u can probably guess by now, i couldnt get it into gear again :S
Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you should pull the tranny and check the preasure plate ,throw out bearing and the clutch disk its self , noise with the clutch out sound like it could be the pilot bearing in the flywheel