Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards

so i took my EG w/ B18C1 to jiffy lube to get my oil changed (i can't do it myself because i dont have proper jacks)...

driving around about 15 mins later i notice a bad knocking noise... as time goes on it gets really loud as i put the gas on, car turns off sometimes when I hit the clutch all the way in, so i pull the car over and a friend comes to help me out.. we decide to go back to the jiffy lube to see whats up but I dont even make it out of the parking lot I had pulled in to.. i get to about 4000rpm and there is a lot of knocking in the engine, it shuts off and apparently sparks shot out the bottom of my car.

heres some pics before it was taken back to jiffy lube... i hope i can get reimbursed for a new motor :/

Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (phreakanimal)

Why didn't you get it changed at a dealership?

And btw that oil you see is probably there because they didn't wipe it down when they removed the filter.

They probably won't get you a b18, you will end up with a brand new stock replacement motor.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (JDM-97CX)

Well, i'm a college student so i have little budget... i'm not sure how much it is at dealership but i'm sure its more than Jiffy...(but now i'm paying for it bigtime, lol)

Also, if thats just leftover oil then why is it still dripping..?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (JDM-97CX)

Let me get this strait.. You heard a LOUD KNOCKING noise coming from your engine and you decided to continue driving it. You, son, are a moron.

And yes.. That picture of the oil drops is from when they removed the filter. Next time take your car to a place that knows what they are doing.

Did you even check your oil level when your car started knocking? That's the first thing you should have done... Checked for oil leaking out, etc.

Some people..
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM

Yea, from those pics I dont see where they messed anything up, did they forget to put oil in the car after the change or something?

Even so there should of been a check engine light on if you dont have an oil pressure guage in the car or an idiot light.

That should of been your first indication to pull over and stop driving the car right there and check things out.

I would like more info to what actually went wrong, if they did in fact forget something obvious yea they should replace the motor they blew.

and right now at the dealership by me there doing oil changes for like $9.99 for the holidays but you have to mention the tv ad there running at like 2am
Old 12-01-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (phreakanimal)

At the dealership I work at we charge less for an oil change than jiffy lube. Again it is proven that assumtion is the root of all fuckups.

maybe they double gasketed the oil filter but it doesn't look like it. The best thing you can do now is not to touch ANYTHING on the car.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phreakanimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, if thats just leftover oil then why is it still dripping..?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea oil will drip for a while if they dident wipe it down afterwords.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
they should replace the motor they blew.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not the way things work. They will replace the motor with a new stock unit.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Yea, I agree they should replace what they broke I don't know why it works any other way but I've seen it happen to other people. When I worked at sears we had to replace whatever we broke no matter if it was stock or not I guess we were one of the few that did
Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards (nocturnaldragon)

Ok ok, so I didn't know that dealerships were cheaper. Even if its synthetic? Whatever, theres not much I can do about taht. theres no need to be that rude about it.

And I pulled over once the knocking started. i tried to drive it back to jiffy lube because i didn't think it was that bad. Yeah maybe I fucked up but I'm just looking to see if I can get compensation for this or if its all my fault.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So does anybody have anything helpful to say or are you just going to flame. Give the benefit of the doubt for a change.

i'm gonna check my "idiot light" right now....
Old 12-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wouldn't surprised if they didn't put oil in it. There's a Jiffy Lube by my place and I've heard stories of them putting filters on crooked, stripping the threads, and also just not putting oil back in.

I'd check it out with the owner of the shop.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM

definately get to jiffy lube and speak to the manager/owner right away if u havent already just explain to him when u drove off u heard a slight knocking, then pulled over and after that it wouldnt turn on, dont tell him you tried to re drive the car back to the shop becuz you being as smart as u are u didnt even check ur level oil level before trying to restart the car and go back to jiffy lube correct? good luck rofl
Old 12-01-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

heeh

Yeah, its at Jiffy lube right now. they should be taking care of it and (hopefully) taking responsibility for it. but hey, I'm not supposed to be that smart, it's their bad...

now i just have to wait a long time for a new motor!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (phreakanimal)

Ok, first of all, bullshit you're not going to settle for a stock replacement motor. Second, if it was an oil problem, it doesn't matter if you shut down the engine at the first sign of a problem because there was already major engine damage by then. In these forums everyone likes to **** on everyone else especially around the holidays so just ignore that ****.

What you need to do is talk to the manager first, right away. Don't settle for anything, but maybe you'll get lucky and not need to take legal action. The shop is going to be insured so you'll be dealing with their insurance. They're not going to buy and install the new motor for you, they're going to settle for a dollar amount. You are going to need to prove the price of the motor, either with the actual reciept, or by getting some quotes from different places. Then you're going to need to prove the labor to install it and the rental fee for a temporary car. If everything goes smoothly, you should be recieving a check in the mail.

If you have any questions/problems, go down to your local court house and you can get free walk-in legal advice somewhere around where they handle small claims. Hopefully you wont have to file a small claim, but that's always an option. Just be honest about your price estimate, keep your head cool even if they're being ********, and you're golden. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

^^^^^you rock man
Old 12-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (BUCKman)

Agreed... get after what they owe you... by the way, what happened? Do you know why the motor blew, what they did wrong???
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM

That sucks good luck, but who goes to Jiffy Lube, I wouldn't take a Yugo there
Old 12-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bogus_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... by the way, what happened? Do you know why the motor blew, what they did wrong???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for addressing this. This has not been mentioned whatsoever. Obviously they put the plug back in the pan. Did they not put new oil in? Did they not put a new filter on after they took off the old one? WHY...did your engine blow?

edit: There's obviously a brand new filter there.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, first of all, bullshit you're not going to settle for a stock replacement motor. Second, if it was an oil problem, it doesn't matter if you shut down the engine at the first sign of a problem because there was already major engine damage by then. In these forums everyone likes to **** on everyone else especially around the holidays so just ignore that ****.

What you need to do is talk to the manager first, right away. Don't settle for anything, but maybe you'll get lucky and not need to take legal action. The shop is going to be insured so you'll be dealing with their insurance. They're not going to buy and install the new motor for you, they're going to settle for a dollar amount. You are going to need to prove the price of the motor, either with the actual reciept, or by getting some quotes from different places. Then you're going to need to prove the labor to install it and the rental fee for a temporary car. If everything goes smoothly, you should be recieving a check in the mail.

If you have any questions/problems, go down to your local court house and you can get free walk-in legal advice somewhere around where they handle small claims. Hopefully you wont have to file a small claim, but that's always an option. Just be honest about your price estimate, keep your head cool even if they're being ********, and you're golden. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the help man. I will definitely not slack on this b/c I def can't afford to pay for a new motor myself. The manager was there when it was towed back to Jiffy lube and he said he would look at it, though he isn't a mechanic. he said hes taking tomorrow to a local mechanic place.... kinda sketchy, I know, but I still have these pics in case they claim that it wasn't them.

I'm just guessing that the oil filter wasn't put on correctly, and then the oil leaked out causing my engine to go dry. but i really don't know....... I'm gonna talk to them tomorrow after their analysis.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ damn

stories like this make me not want to trust anyone but myself to ever change my oil again...

i would like to know also what h-t thinks happened.. what did they or didnt they do?..
Old 12-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang, that sucks. hopefully everything goes well. thats why i don't like taking my car to mechanics. if i do, i always question their work. i check everything b4 i leave, just to make sure everything is put on right. either that i watch them do the work. i know they prob don't like it but oh well. sometimes i watch them just to see how they do things.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It wouldn't surprised if they didn't put oil in it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah at my local jiffy lube they didnt put all the total amount that i paid for luckily they put the least needed so nothing happened to my car

and i mean u leave after an oil change thinkin they did a good job

Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a simple solution to the problem of driving without oil.
1. Change oil yourself.
2. Check the oil level before you drive out.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

i work at jiffy lube i always ask myself why people don't do it themselves

Quick Reply: Trip to get oil changed at Jiffy Lube, blew engine 30 mins afterwards