Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission will only drive in first gear??? WTF did i do wrong?????????? help needed badly

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transmission will only drive in first gear??? WTF did i do wrong?????????? help needed badly

i need help!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88hf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is how the transmission looked as i closed it up, nothing got stuck, it slipped in the snap ring easily.

far as i know it should look like this when putting it back together???

obviously something aint right...

car is in first gear no matter where you shift into.....

1,2,3,4,5,reverse & neutral = first gear

no weird noise, no grinding, no other problems with transmission...

thanks for any help you can provide...it will obviously have to be taken apart again...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: transmission will only drive in first gear??? WTF did i do wrong?????????? help needed badly

well the shift gate looks good. are any of the syncro's out or installed incorrectly? uaually when a prob like yours happens, the gate is installed incorrectly. but from here it looks good.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: transmission will only drive in first gear??? WTF did i do wrong?????????? help needed badly

Shift linkage? Maybe the linkage can't pull it out of first gear?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea its really weird, the syncros were put on the shaft linkage fine and i tested to see if they would pull down and they did,,

just to clearify,,

the shift linkage shifts into any gear, and neutral fine,,, its just everything just drives in 1st gear,, no stalls so i know it is first gear since it goes forward and no stalls and drives fine...no grinding, or anything. and i didnt have anyproblem getting the snapring to hook on the countershaft.

weird....
Old 11-14-2003, 06:06 PM

What was done to the tranny? I don't know if I'd be up to the challenge of taking apart a tranny, unless it was a friend's. I plan on putting LSD in the future and gonna cut some corners doing it myself. I would say it was a shift linkage problem, but since you took the tranny apart I'm sure that you know how to put a shift linkage on right. Weird though...
Old 11-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eyeamvic)

the syncros, were never taken off. i just did your basic bearing install. everything was pressed in , toqued correctly and shimmed..

well we all make mistake even though we know some knowlege on things,, i dont think its the shift linkage (to two rods under shifter) because i just took out the bitch pin,,

and im pretty sure the shift forks (inside the transmission) were correct because i turned the main shaft, and the gears all matched up without any snags,&lt;&lt; turned it as it was open and not put together yet,,

the onlything i can think of is maybe when i was putting the two halfs together the shift fork came loose, and got stuck on first gear settings.. but then why am i able to shift to the other gears without a problem???? because if it was stuck on first, i dont think i would be able to move to any other gear???

which leads me to think its got to be the shift linkage due to no funny noise from the transmission and that i can move into any other gear. i dont know,, im going to see tomorrow when i have light, i spent the whole day today trying to come to a logical conclusion...

and the fact that there are no funny noises from the transmission puzzles me and comforts me at the same time...
Old 11-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88hf)

bump
Old 11-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anymore advice,
Old 11-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you think you put the tranny back together fine it might be your shift linkage. and it just feels like your shifting, but in reality its in 1st and you arent moving it anywhere.

have you check the linkage to see if everything is fine?
Old 11-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JUN EK9)

yea i checked the linkage and the bitch pin was in there nice and tight . i took the trans out today before it started to rain, i wont have a chance to pop it open and see what happened until maybe monday when the rain stops... i guess that gives me more time to figure out what it could be???

and it actually goes into gear, i can feel it go into gear,, on the shifter side, it has a slight resistance then it slides into what ever gear i move into, but yet it stays in first no matter what gear i shift into?? and neutral, so say i push the clutch down to start the car, car is in neutral if i lift the clutch off like im shifting it will drive without stalling,,, if i stop and put it into 2nd gear it goes in, lift up on clutch and it drives without stalling ...put it in reverse it moves forward in first too. same for all gears so i know it is in first due to it not stalling....but no funny sounds from trans, no grinding, or anything...

like i said weird as hell.

Modified by 88hf at 11:08 PM 11/15/2003
Old 11-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-16-2003, 08:21 AM

sounds stupid, but make sure all the dowels line up with the corresponding holes on the other side of the case when you put it back together. They should be like 1/2" and have springs attached. I believe that they can cause this problem you are referring too. Sorry I have no technical terms or pictures to explain, but you will know when you take it apart.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With it opened up, slap it on the work bench, and use a screw driver to try shifting it, and see what it's doing ,or not doing. You may have to hold the two shafts together with one hand while shifting with the other, but it's the best way to see what's goin on with it.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Bakeoff)

If you cant shift the shifter by hand - something is wrong. Try shifting with a screw driver or something - then you will know if its the linkage or not.

I dont know all the names of these parts..so im gonna use thingy and dohicky.

pix of the tool

On the back of the tranny - by the shaft that goes into the clutch. There is a small bolt (see #9 in the picture) that you need to put move with an L-wrench (see picture above).

When you put your tranny back together, you have to make sure you tighten the screw (see #18 in picture) on the shifter shaft (the part that changes the gears) before you screw in the back bolt (#9).

If you dont, you can tighten the back screw down incorrectly and bend the shifter interlock (see #7 in picture). You wont beable to shift into any gears if that will happened.

Personally id pull the tranny apart again, and check that part #7 (the interlock), and make sure that #9 (the bolt) can slide back and forth in the interlock. If you bent something, it wont slide what-so-ever. Which will make it impossible to shift into any gear.

liam
Old 11-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (liam821)

yea the interlock was properly aligned and mated within the given space on the underside of #7, and it moved forward and backward, like it is suppose to.. i made sure of that,, and part #20 moved up and down also, and was closed as it looks in the top photo. but we all make mistakes ...

like i said above , i can sit in the car and shift into any gear, fine, it just will not shift on the transmission side.&gt; i can shift from a stand still in all gears,without stalling &lt;&lt; thats how i know i am in first gear on the transmission side. it just wont go into any other gears on the transmission side. hope that wasnt too confusing. like i said weird. &lt;&lt; it doesnt sound logical, and the bitch pin was securely in its little hole so it was connected.

ill be taking it apart on Monday,,, im too tired to do it today,, im just gonna wait for my pizza and beer to be delivered , and relax...

that way i can calm down and do everything slow...please keep the advice commin. i appreciate all the help. thanks

haa haa i have those exact hex wrenches too..
Old 11-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you did everything right!

Good luck!

liam
Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (liam821)

that was what i found as i took the trans. halves apart, not sure if it ended up that way due to the two halves coming apart or if it was like that inside the transmission?? so i put it back on , and double check everything else, and i shifted in all gears before closing it up and it shifted in all gears. i closed it up again, making sure that gear was still sitting straight and i shifted through all the gears again, and they all shifted fine...

installed everything inthe car, and yet again,,, same problem... i am so tired and pissed off at the same time... i triple checked everything this time around, and tested everything before reinstall..

i was thinking could my clutch be stuck? and not let me shift out of 1st gear even though it will let my go into the gear inside the car? could it be the new throwout bearing i put it and tested and it worked fine?

this sucks...

Old 11-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Mr. Badwrench

is it me or is the reverse idler upside down?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

oh yea i forgot i reversed it as i put it together. the first time. i did put it in the wrong way.. but i made sure it was put in the reverse as you see in photo.. this second time.

but still have same problem??? could it have come loose as i put the two halve back on? i looked at it when it was about 1" from coming to getthing with the other half??
Old 11-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Mr. Badwrench

i wish i know how to save a page of a pdf as a jpeg. i think the reverse idler is upside down.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Mr. Badwrench

usually what hangs up, is the thrust washer at the top of the counter shaft. it is indexed. ill try to find a pic of that.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

easy just extract it and go to file and "save as" then choose jpg
Old 11-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

You got me dude, I honestly don't know what it could be. Did you make sure that you put the shift forks in correctly? Because if its not the linkage is that, and is the shift arm pushing up on the shift forks when you cycle through the gears?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

boosted i know what you talking about , tha fit was fine, also.. it dropped in just fine,,

yea i made sure everything was put in 3 times and i shifted through all the gears, by putting a small screw driver in and it shift all the way left, up and down, middle up and down and all the way right up and down,, and i did this when i covered it up too...
Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Gotta be the linkage then...

Quick Reply: transmission will only drive in first gear??? WTF did i do wrong?????????? help needed badly